sadietoo

The Harcombe Diet

It sounds delicious!

I find that eating my main meal midday helps my digestion no end. Am a sucker for carbs though.

Many moons ago, i used to teach a class along the lines of the new-wave called Bikini Bootcamp... perhaps I ought to dig out my old programmes and go through it at home. Had two colds in quick succession and not bee training, so feel pretty lethargic and blobby.

Hi guys...glad to see a few of you felt inspired to try it, and my advice would be perservere if you can - it is worth it in the end. Chucky Mama, I am actually pescaterian (veggie but eat a little fish - not much though) so not really finding it a problem with eating too much meat...if anything, I struggle with the protein meals. But I have a vegetarian husband who detests cooked cheese :shock: so I suppose I am used to coming up with veggie main courses which do not rely on cheese, so are actually just carb. Cinnamon, as far as spag bol goes I have a great recipe(actually its a Good Food recipe.) for spaghetti with a lentil bolognaise sauce - made with red lentils and everyone in our house loves it. I am happy to share if I can find it!! .It would be easy to make some and freeze it so that you could eat it when the rest are having their meaty spag bol.

If you look at the website, you will see that Zoe has some interesting things to say about cholesterol, (some may think controversially - but there is a growing body of evidence to suggest that medicine in general and manufacturers of statins in particular may not have got it quite right?). In fact she says ( and i agree) that the real culprit in our diets is sugar. Whatever, I'm still on the diet after eight weeks, and have even managed to sustain this way of eating through a really tough time emotionally without resorting to chocolate or alcohol!!! In fact I think the diet has helped keep me calm and resilient over the past few weeks! Certainly for me the weight loss has just been a bonus , what's really been important is that my blood sugars are finally under control, and I feel so much better.

The best things about it are definitely the lack of need for portion control (On days I don't have an omelette for breakfast, I have a huge bowl of porridge - a whole cup of oats- made with skimmed milk and blueberries - I have to make it in a pasta bowl or it overflows in the microwave!!) and no calorie counting (which imo doesn't work in the long term in any case).

Good luck all!

I actually like the 5 day phase and find it has really helped with food cravings - since starting this earlier in the year I've hardly eaten any chocolate and eat far less bread - I know bread doesn't agree with me but I used to crave it.

Like Chuckymama though, I can't make the transition to stage 2 - it just isn't for me. Portion control is my main problem and combined with eating so late through the summer months I've put weight on again. Losing weight before holiday was good and I only put a pound of that back on. I have joined WW since returning from holiday as I like the weighing in and having others to meet up with. The class I started is straight after my Aquafit class on Mondays and is in the gym studion next to the changing rooms - very easy to go from one room to the next!

I will still use the 5 day phase as and when it suits me to do so.

Cholesterol

I read Zoe's thoughts on cholesterol as well as a couple of books on cholesterol and I stopped taking Statins and took fish oils - initially (and very quickly) my cholesterol level dropped. My Practice Nurse was astounded but still wanted me to take statins. I didn't want to and would like to have had blood tests every three months to monitor my levels - we had words over this and my Practice wouldn't do it. Consequently it was a year before I had my cholesterol checked. I'd been using a home test which had agreed with the last hospital test on the same morning and was showing my levels had remained the same so I had to be content with that.

Then I had a phone call from a very worried PN who said they'd been phoned by the labs because my level was now 11.2 :shock: The labs had also run a thyroid test (unasked and presumably unpaid!) as they hadn't seen such a high level for a long time :? I'm still working on giving up statins - I'll try again when I've lost a good amount of the weight I'm carrying.

Sorry for the essay but thought I'd mention it in here as it had been mentioned in conjunction with the Harcombe Diet.

Well I've got the books and have just about finished reading the main book ... I am naturally very cynical, and have been reading it all with a bit of attitude, but I must say that most of what she says makes sense; I'm a bit sceptical about some of the 'food intolerance' stuff. I also wish she wouldn't use Capital Letters for so many things! :wink:

My main problem is finding five days when I'm not due to eat out somewhere, to do Phase I. I'm likely to get a major headache from caffeine withdrawal, so I need to plan it carefully - however I'll be at home due to the Tube strike on Monday, that might be a good day to start.

I'm finding all the posts from other people very helpful.

I cheated a bit and carried on drinking tea - 3 - 4 cups a day.. Coffee might be a different matter though.

I was cynical too, initially, but it worked for me.

The main benefit is that I no longer have the intense cravings for carbs - which I guess meant I has some sort of intolerance.

Ah - that's really helpful to know! Just been shopping, I decided I couldn't compromise my principles by buying non-free range meat, so I spent quite a lot - I don't usually eat a lot of meat but decided for Phase I that I'd need to up that part of it. The cats are going to love this, they never get any meat treats normally! I'm planning butternut squash curry tomorrow night.

I think I might cheat and just drink tea, as experience tells me that giving up caffeine drinks altogether is likely to set off a migraine. I suppose I should weigh myself (something I never do normally) so I can see if it works ... :anxious:

Well, famous last words! I feel absolutely awful. The muscles in my shoulders and neck are agony, my head is splitting and my charming husband says I look really ill. I haven't cheated but I'm feeling very aware of my cravings. We'll just have to see what tomorrow brings. A flake would be nice...

She does include advice for veggies - you're allowed more brown rice in Phase I, and tofu. In fact, I think Zoe Harcombe is vegetarian herself although I can't remember exactly where I read that. Phase I where you cut out dairy, wheat etc would be quite tough but it's only for five days - after that you can eat pulses and grains and so on, and a lot of the recipes are vegetarian.

I'm on to Day 2 of Phase I, I have cheated slightly by drinking black tea - I have eaten lots, but am really shocked at how badly I want a slice of toast/bowl of pasta, so perhaps there's a message there for me.

I'm on day three and I'm beginning to feel a bit better. I'm shocked at just how unconscious I am in the kitchen. I keep reaching for biscuits, fruit and sweets the children are eating without thinking. I've managed not to cheat purely because I can't drink coffee without milk. I definitely feel less puffy and my eyes weren't swollen and puffy when I got up this morning. Gorgeous I know! My head feels clearer and I'm hoping to go off scale on the energy front! That flake is still calling me but I'm ignoring it and a few others for now at least! I finish the day before you Olly and I can tell you I can't wait for a bit of fruit to snack on in the middle of the afternoon - must be the fructose!

Becka

Some encouragement needed, please! I'm on Day 4 and it's the first day at work since I started this. I woke up today with a splitting headache having slept very badly - as my usual breakfast is some sort of bready thing with a big cup of coffee, I struggled today on just a yoghurt. (I eat breakfast at work most days). Just eaten my lunch - brown rice, salad and tinned salmon, and that was ok but there's another 4 hours at work to get through.

I really, really hope this is going to be worth it! I am longing for tomorrow to be over, so I can start with some pasta, fruit, etc - would never have thought I'd miss it so much.

I'm slightly confused, as I've been eating yoghurt, this isn't dairy free so how would I know if I'm dairy-intolerant? (I've got no reason to think I am). My niece who has lactose intolerance can't eat yoghurt. I'm not sure if any of the intolerance things apply to me, to be honest, nor the Candida so I don't know quite how to proceed with Phase II - eat anything on the permitted list, or introduce things one at a time?

OOh I picked up this book from library yesterday, and just started reading it.

Am a veggie so if do start phase 1 will let you know how get on. I havent read enough of the book yet to form any opinion but will be following this thread with interest see how others get on doing it. :D

I'm on my last day and I can honestly say I haven't been hungry although I did eat tonight's curry for lunch! I have eaten bacon and eggs each morning around about 6.30am and that has tended to last me until lunch. I have made a great spinach and bacon salad for one meal and eaten the previous nights leftovers on the other days - the exception being today! Dinner has been relatively easy. Home made curry, turkey with roasted vegetables, Jamie Oliver's green chilli which we eat quite regularly anyway. I've just avoided the bread and potatoes usually included within the days meals. I do know that I really am not keen on natural yogurt so I've been eating that with curry and chilli. I don't really recognise many of the food intolerences (apart from wheat) or the candidia but I do know that I crave sugar and to a lesser extent wheat. Olly, have you started to feel better? I feel much more clear headed and quite a bit more energetic although I won't be changing my name to Tigger any time soon! I was interested to see if I'd lost any weight and I appear to have lost 3lb as of yesterday, which was after three days. My midrift does a fantastic pregnancy impression and I think that it is slowly deflating - I'm presuming that's been the removal of wheat. I also haven't been sleeping particularly well but I'm definitely not as exhausted as I would be normally. I'm going to think carefully about how to progress onto Phase Two because I did read that if you suspect wheat causes problems, that it's best to leave that out for another fortnight. I do believe that cutting out sugar and processed foods is a healthy approach, I'm just slightly concerned about the levels of fat. Anyway, I'm keen to see if I've maintained the initial weight loss which would definitely encourage me to continue!

Becka

Well I'm not convinced I am going to lose weight on this, but I am amazed at how the craving for carbohydrates has vanished after just one week. I never realised that's what it was, I just used to think I was hungry, but during Phase I it was obvious that it was more than that.

I've always found diets difficult because if I don't eat regularly I get very shaky, can't concentrate, and feel very irritable, often ending up with a migraine if that goes on. I have not felt that once since the first day, and that is very surprising. It's been worth it for that alone.

I lost 2.5lbs in Phase I, which is a lot less than I was hoping, but then it was only 5 days (and I did cheat once or twice in the matter of alcohol :oops: ) I'm trying to stick to Phase II, and Heston's Slow Roast Pork Belly is in the oven as I type - looks like an ideal Phase II meal.

I have to agree with you Olly, I have doubts about the weight loss potential. I lost three pounds on Phase One but seem to have managed to loose a further two pounds since I started Phase Two on Wednesday. I have had to introduce a small amount of chocolate and decaff coffee which I'm having with cream. I'm not sure this is allowed but it has made it easier staying with the diet! I think I'll keep going and see how the weight loss goes. It's amazing to see just how much you can crave bread and sugary sweets but not really bother much about them once you break the cycle. I have found substituting cauliflower for mashed potatoes really helpful and I actually think I might prefer it to the to the real thing because it feels so much lighter somehow. I also add parsnip to the cauliflower mash and a bit of nutmeg and did I mention the cream? I can't see how I'm managing to loose weight!

Becka

Just wanted to say that it's now 14 days since I started this. I've lost about 5lbs, my waistbands are definitely looser, and I have really enjoyed what I've been eating. It took a while for me to feel the benefits, but I've noticed I don't feel desperately sleepy at about 3.00pm, which had previously been a real problem at work, and to my surprise my skin has improved quite a bit.

I'm not finding it too difficult, because I no longer have the cravings for carbohydrate or sweet things that I used to experience. I've avoided wheat so far, and intend to stay off it as much as possible but I have a birthday coming up and I'm not going to refuse a slice of birthday cake! I might redo Phase I before or after the birthday celebrations, just to keep things in check.

I'm still sceptical about the weight loss, despite the result recorded above, but I definitely feel better and healthier on this.