sadietoo

The Harcombe Diet

just to say, so pleased that most people are having such a positive experience with this diet...it really does seem to me to be a very easy way to lose weight, without feeling deprived....and can I just say that some way down the line. (I actually don't want to lose any more weight) I find if I apply the 80/20 rule...ie..I stick to the rules most of the time but don't at all for 20% of the time...I am maintaining my weight loss...it does almost seem too good to be true!!

I was doing really well, but a combination of friends' birthdays, being extra-busy, work events etc has led me astray and I have made the fatal error of eating bread again. It really doesn't agree with me now. I think I may need to do the five-day plan again to get back on track, however I am sticking to it as far as I can and haven't put any weight back on, which is a first. It's very helpful hearing how well others are doing on this.

I ate some bread today, without thinking really. How I regret it. I am bloated, have abdominal pain and feel absolutely exhausted. This confirms what I have suspected, ever since I started the Harcombe diet. I must be either sensitive too or allergic to wheat. Never again.

I ate some bread today, without thinking really. How I regret it. I am bloated, have abdominal pain and feel absolutely exhausted. This confirms what I have suspected, ever since I started the Harcombe diet. I must be either sensitive too or allergic to wheat. Never again.

I'm not on this diet, but following your comments with interest. I recently converted to soya milk and have found my gut to be much happier without dairy products.

Hubby & I are just finishing day 5 of phase one, & after feeling a bit ropey for a bit we both now feel fantastic :D

I've lost 5lb & he's lost 6lb, with another weigh in due tomorrow morning.

If you're dithering about starting this then I'd say just go for it. The food quantites we are eating are more than sufficient, I have never felt hungry, & no longer feel sluggish.

Egluntine I saw your photos on the Omletstock thread, & you look great.

Well Done Riane. :clap:

My OH is at his target, I still have a way to go.

CHP - I usually have Bacon & Scrambled Eggs for Brekkie, Home made soup or salad for lunch, dinner is different everyday Harcombe friendly beef stroganoff with roasted Butternut squash is a favourite. Dessert if we have it can be Strawberries and cream, or Natural Live Yoghurt with blueberries. Drink - water, herbal tea or decaff tea or coffee.

No snacks but you honestly don't need them as the protein in the meals keep you full.

:)

Pretty much ditto although for breakfast I usually have a bowl of porridge made with skimmed milk.

I rarely feel hungry these days, and can resist things that I would have craved and stuffed myself with pre-Harcombe. It is a way of life more than a diet, and I couldn't go back.

An update, been doing this for a few weeks now, not difficult once i got into the swing........

........I have lost a total of 1st 6lb, feeling good about myself and can't wait to loose the other stone.

only had two days of relapse due to b'days...loving it .

So if you go out for a meal what do you eat?

Emma.x

Eating out is easy:

I've had half a chicken and ratatouille in Nandos

Burger (without the bun) and salad in GBK

At other restaurants you could have fish or any meat with salad or low carb veg, just avoid sauces, dressings & potatoes. Strawberries & Cream or Cheese Board minus the crackers for dessert all with a glass of red wine.

You honestly don't feel deprived and even if the others are eating a gooey chocolaty dessert you won't mind.

:)

I have found it quite easy to adapt to this. We usually have porridge or bacon and tomatoes for breakfast. Salad for lunch with either tuna or ham or cheese. Dinner is meat and salad. Or pasta with a tomato and basil sauce. Dessert is fruit salad or cheese. The main thing is not to combine your fats with your carbs. So dinner out is steak and salad or roast with veg. Pudding would be icecream. Eaten really well on it and lost 1 1/2 stone. Try it.

No potatoes? No bread?

I like my vegetables - but usually when I go out for a meal I have some form of potatoes with it. Plus I usually have bread once in the day - be it with brekkie or lunch. Unless I have porridge for brekkie & soup for lunch.

We love our curries & chillis.. usually lamb curries ( homemade) & we eat a lot of quorn with not eating chicken.

Do you think I could manage this? I was tempted to buy the books - but wouldn't want them shoved in a cupboard & forgotten about. :anxious:

Emma.x

I'd love to give it a whirl - but I'm worried about eating out which we do a bit. I like my steaks & jackets when I go out & my carveries with gravy & lots of veggies & few spuds. I'm not sure hubby could cope with it either - plus he doesn't need to lose weight. I wish there was a sample of this diet on the net, so I could study.

Emma.x

I have to admit that although it was me who told Egluntyne about the Harcombe plan after reading about it on another forum, I haven't been able to stick to it as she has :oops:

I love the 5 day phase and it cured me of chocolate cravings and showed me that wheat doesn't do me any favours. I mostly follow the principles of the 5 day phase and I'm glad I did it. I eat a lot less bread now and eat a lot of the salad or soup type lunches and always have natural yoghurt and honey for breakfast. I followed this even whilst doing WW as WW had to fit in with what I wanted and not the other way round.

I never managed to get into phase 2 - I didn't want to give up bread, jacket potatoes with cheese, fish and chips (homemade low fat ones) etc. for the length of time it would have taken me to get to stage 3 as I have a lot of weight to lose. I'm losing weight slowly and it would probably be quicker if I stuck to Harcombe phase 2 but I'd probably fall off the wagon big time and end up putting weight on instead. I've done that before and don't want to do it again. I've picked the bits that suit me and do what I'm happy with.

There's plenty to read on the Harcombe site so you should be able to see whether you think it would suit you without buying the books - or see if Amazon Marketplace has the first book?

There is a Look Inside on this book Emma - and there are some available in Marketplace.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harcombe-Diet-Counting-Calories-Losing/dp/1906125082/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1301502149&sr=1-1

I'd love to give it a whirl - but I'm worried about eating out which we do a bit. I like my steaks & jackets when I go out & my carveries with gravy & lots of veggies & few spuds. I'm not sure hubby could cope with it either - plus he doesn't need to lose weight. I wish there was a sample of this diet on the net, so I could study.

Emma.x

It really isn't difficult , because you can choose whether you want a fat meal or a carb meal..to suit your appetite...also once you are onto stage 3 you can have your fat meal with chips or a baked potato if that is what you fancy...as long as you are careful for most of the time, you can cheat a bit without a problem...I only bought the basic diet book...£6.99 from W H Smugs..I've never bought the recipe book because I'm vegetarian, and most of it won't apply....but it's easy to adapt existing recipes...give it a whirl...you will probably wish you hadn't for the first five days...but tbh even those aren't that bad...after that it's plain sailing....

Ok - have studied this now & it seems very much like Atkins. I couldn't do Atkins as it made me feel whoosie & no way would I have been able to drive. so I'll have to give this a miss. Not chickening out, just don't want to ever feel like that again. Good luck & well done to all that do this diet - I'll look around for something else to boost my Weight watchers!

Emma.x