sadietoo

The Harcombe Diet

Maybe this has been posted about before because I think it has been around for a while.. I thought I would give the diet a try because I've been having really bad problems with Hypoglycemia, (diagnosed by the doctor not by me!) and it promised to be a remedy. Basically after the first five days mini Detox :( ( no dairy for these days but Natural Live Yoghurt is allowed..not sure how that works!) it is food combining, except you don't eat fat (rather than protein) with carbs. This means that, as a vegetarian, things like hummus and beans are classified as carbs so you can have a really filling supper if you are hungry. If you are a meat eater, I guess it's a bit more like Atkins except you can have a carb meal...eg porridge for breakfast with skimmed milk and fruit. There is no portion control, and no calorie counting,....and it's worked :dance: I feel sooo much better, no energy dips or debilitating low blood sugar episodes (I had to carry dextrosol at all times), in fact I feel better than I have done for years. Also all those annoying aches and pains have disappeared and I've tons more energy. I can honestly say I haven't been hungry, and I've lost almost a stone in just under four weeks..and the best bit is, that unlike diets I've done before, it hasn't come off my face or arms, it actually has come off my tummy and hips. The diet claims to get rid of food cravings too, and I have to say that I think it does...I haven't wanted chocolate, and have even happily gone without my usual glass of wine in the evening without feeling at all deprived. Once you reach your goal weight you can cheat if you want to (although I feel so much better I don't feel particularly tempted) and you can have chocolate or whatever (although not too often!) If you google it, you will find there is a forum and a website, but I just bought the book on an impulse one lunch time..... I'd recommend it to anyone feeling out of sorts who thinks their diet might be to blame, it's the best £6.99 I've spent in a long time!

Aaaargh ... I have sworn never to do another 'diet' because I know so well that dieting makes you fat, I have tried every one over the years. However my weight is at an all-time high; and I am at a very high risk of contracting diabetes due to family inheritance. I suffer with low blood sugar 'dips' (not officially diagnosed, but very obvious!). Luckily I lurve natural yoghurt and eat it all the time!

I am very tempted.

I've lost 4lbs this week on the 5 day phase. I'm off on holiday tomorrow so I'll just stick to what I know I should eat and keep the useless carbs to a minimum..........difficult in France as I love French bread and pastries .....they just don't love me :roll:

I also started the new Aquafit class that Stratford Leisure Centre have started - we campaigned for a second one so I had to go :D I went to the gym for half an hour first.....I haven't been since April last year when family things got in the way so I just eased myself back in to it. Since my own diagnosis of EDSh there are some of the gym machines I'm not to use but just doing something is better than nothing. I'm not overly fond of going to the gym but once I get there I quite enjoy it......and I can always get there if swimming is involved :wink::lol: I'll have to see if I can get to the gym before the Monday morning Aquafit as well.

Ok Chucky Mama -how is it going? Was the five-day detox awful?

I'd never heard of the Harcombe diet until this thread, but I've been doing lots of research on the net and read some good (and bad) reviews. After a rather depressing shopping trip recently where I hated everything I tried on, I've decided something needs to change. I've ordered the book, should be here by the end of the week. :anxious:

Well, I did the 5 days and lost about 5lb...but..I have now bailed out. I was meant to go onto a phase 2 plan which is based on not combining fat with carbs. You can eat carbs or fats but just not together (no sugar allowed either). I managed the 5 days which was tough but to completely change my way of eating to this degree is unrealistic, especially with a family. The diet seems to allow rather too much meat and fat and if you need to keep an eye on cholesterol it is not ideal. During phase 1 you are allowed to eat bacon and eggs, as much meat as you like but no fruit or pasta :shock: It just didn't seem right. What the 5 days of hell did teach me though was to value what I eat more. I eat plenty of veg normally but during the 5 days I was not allowed to pasta, potatoes, fruit, wheat or juice amongst other things. I am not a huge fruit eater or a huge fan of granary bread but I was desperate for both :shock: I am now able to eat less, I don't eat a meal if I am not hungry, love granary bread and fruit and am happily being much less piggy. This was my first and last commercial diet. It has been of value as it has put me on the right track but it was not for me. Healthy sensible eating and enjoying my food - just less of it, is what I will be doing from now on.

As a single gal it's probably a bit easier for me to work my meals around the plan, but I do eat out a lot. Anyway, I'll see what the book is like when it comes. I must have tried every diet known to man at some point in the last thirty-five years, and all they did was give me a very unhealthy relationship with food and left me fatter each time! :roll: I gave up dieting, weighing myself and generally obsessing about it a few years ago and felt much better for it.

*sigh* I promised myself that I'd never diet again, however the weight has just crept on (thyroid problem hasn't helped) - I have a very high risk of developing diabetes due to genetic reasons, and I am a bit fed up with the size I am now. I am not pinning all my hopes on this but I need a bit of a kick-start and perhaps this will help. Well done on the 5lbs, I'd be quite pleased just to lose that much.

I really rate this diet. I have now lost 1st 10lb. Am never starving hungry as I used to be all the time, just pleasantly peckish now and then, I have more energy than I have had in years, find eating out not too difficult, and if it is a special occasion, I might go a bit mad because I know I can 'correct' it.

The recipe book is fantastic. (Shame it has no pics). I have made some absolutely delicious, nourishing and sustaining food from it, and the family have eaten them without complaint (they love the Butternut Squash Curry). Not not wanting to speak too soon, I think I'll be sticking with this way of eating for the long term.

I'm really interested in this thread. I've a couple of stone to lose and I know I definitely suffer from hypoglycemia so I bought the book and have been having a read. Years ago I lost weight on the Atkins diet but I didn't like the restrictions placed on fruit and veg but this appears to be far less strict in the second phase, which seems sensible. I'm going to start this in a fortnights time because I'm going to cut out my caffeine over a week before I start the diet proper. Don't think I'd be very pleasant to live with if I was starting a diet and cutting out caffeine! Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Becka

This has tempted me too - I have downloaded the book onto my Kindle & have been flicking through it.

I have a LOT of weight to shift, and am thoroughly fed up with the WW counting thing.

I know that I can drop carbs easily enough as I have done it before on Atkins,7 I did feel better & lose weight too.

The 5 day detox will be very tough for me. Giving up my red wine will be horrid, & things like Ketchup & other sauces,which are my weakness.Happily I don't have much of a sweet tooth,but I make up for this by loving cheese & crisps :roll:

Breakfast is a no-brainer....I could happily eat eggs & bacon every day of the week.

Supper should be do-able too. I guess if I am making a spaghetti Bolognese, I can just forgo the spaghetti??? Same with a roast - just have meat & veg,no roast potatoes.

Lunch is a bit trickier. I always have a sandwich & will struggle to find something else to give me the boost I need to work in the early evening.

Saturdays are a nightmare as I work from 1pm - 7.30 with just a 15min break about 4ish. I generally throw a sandwich from the canteen down...there isn't much else to eat quickly & taking food in will be tricky as there is no fridge in which to keep it. Then I have a Coke or coffee too,to give me the caffine boost I need to keep me going until later.

I have a week off coming up in October,so it might make sense for me to do the 5 day thing then.

I have found all your stories very inspiring & it will be nice to know that I have some support on here.

I do NEED & WANT to shift some of this weight,but I am rubbish at dieting really :roll::lol:

Cinnamon,

What about parma ham and chesse rolled together instead of a sandwich? I'm going to use the Onken set yogurt because it has quite a mild taste and I was consider sprinkling it with some cinnamon to flavour it. I think I'll replace my coffee with lemon and ginger slices steeped in boiling water. Not quite the same kick but quite uplifting! Also, cottage pie can be made with smashed up cauliflower instead of mash and apparently it tastes great. I'm feeling quite inspired now. I think it's time for my second coffee of the day!

Becka

I too am trying to work out when to do the five days - giving up caffeine is going to be very difficult and I might try and do that first. I only have one coffee a day, but I really really look forward to it!

I'm planning on eating lots of hard-boiled eggs - easily portable, and free (well, sort of!). I'm very inspired by what you've said, Egluntyne.