sadietoo

The Harcombe Diet

Well I managed to loose six pounds in the last fortnight. I'm going to keep going with the diet but I have started having a small bar of dark chocolate each day, have managed to squeeze in three danish pastries and a bottle of wine. I'll be interested to see if I loose any weight this week! I have struggled with eating bacon and eggs each morning so I made sugar free wholemeal bread and have been having three slices each morning. If I don't loose weight I'll go back to bacon and eggs. I do find that if I eat enough at each meal then I can behave very well but I had a couple of days when I skipped breakfast and a danish slipped in mid-morning! I find the forum quite useful and I've just bought the recipe book to widen my horizons. Any hints and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Becka

I have struggled with eating bacon and eggs each morning

You can have any sugar free cereal for breakfast with skimmed milk...I have either Kallo rice krispies stylee breakfast or porridge with half skimmed half water and blueberries or raspberries on a weekday when I don't have time for cooked....also if you are craving a particular item it may be worth trying to exclude it from your diet for a few days if you can...

I have lost about a stone overall in the ten weeks I have been on this diet, but at 5ft 10 and 11 stone, I don't think I was that overweight to start with. The weight I have lost is from my tum. I was very strict with alcohol to start with but this last week I have been on holiday and have not been dieting really...that said, I've had toast with a morning fry up a couple of times and really suffered with indigestion by two in the afternoon...so won't be doing that again!!!I've checked my weight and I'm still the same as I was when I went away. Personally I think the natural live yoghurt is a key to keeping the sugar cravings undercontrol, but I will still remain on this diet because I feel so much better on it...no sugar rollercoaster...less swollen joints...no dropping off to sleep at 3 in the afternoon!!

Good advice, I'll give the porridge a go. Do you still eat a lot of NLY? I really struggle with the NLY because I really don't like the taste. To be honest, I don't think I've eaten any since I started Phase Two but maybe I should reintroduce this somehow.

Becka

Luckily I love NLY, but I used to eat it anyway so I don't know if it makes a difference or not.

I was going to echo what Sadie has said above - maybe cut back on the bread a bit. I have porridge every morning, couldn't manage a cooked breakfast on a weekday. I've managed to avoid wheat until today when there was something on at work with a sandwich lunch, and I hadn't enough time to go out and get something else. I had a couple of sandwiches and I felt awful this afternoon - terribly sleepy, and had a bad headache.

Although mostly I find this very easy, it's quite hard to find 'snack' food that you can eat. Could you hardboil some eggs, so you've got something you can take with you if you're in a rush and need a quick breakfast?

I too eat masses of the NLY. I love it.

Wheat does exactly the same to me too Olly, so I avoid it at all costs now. It also gives me the most appalling heartburn. I was getting through a bottle of Gaviscon a week before I started the diet.

I made the Lentil Moussaka from the Recipe Book tonight. Veeeery nice. I made rather a lot and thought 'Ooooh - I'll have the rest for me supper tomorrow.' Some hope. The boys have scoffed the lot on top of their double helpings of Pan Haggerty.

*Tuts*

Lentil Moussaka

Base

2-4 tbsp oil

2 onions finely chopped

1 red pepper, deseeded and chopped into 1cm pieces

2 cloves garlic, crushed

2 aubergines, diced into 2 cm cubes

2 x 400g tins chopped tomatoes

3 tbsp tomato purree

100g lentils

500mls veg stock

Topping

250 ml low fat milk

50g butter

1 egg

250 ml

low fat ricotta cheese

Grated parmesan

Base

Preheat oven to gas mark 5, 370 F, 190 C

Heat 2 tbsp oil and fry onions gently till soft.

Add the pepper and fry for 5 mins.

Add garlic and fry for 32-3 mins.

Transfer to a plate.

Add remaining oil to pan and fry aubergines till browned.

Return previously cooked items to pan and add 1 tim of tomatoes, tomato purree, stock an d lentils. Stir well.

Bring to boil then simmer for 10 mins

Topping

Bring milk and butter to boil and then allow to cool slightly

Add beaten egg.

Whisk well.

Add Ricotta cheese and mix well.

Transfer base mixture to ovenproof dish, add the topping.

Sprinkle with Parmesan.

Bake in oven for 45 mins, till topping a rich golden brown.

Wow- that's great, well done Egluntyne!

I have not so much fallen off the wagon, as thrown myself off it waving both arms - it was my birthday last week, and although generally I didn't find this hard to follow, various birthday meals, cake etc made it difficult to stick to the plan. However I noticed very quickly that I was feeling tired and bloated again, so I'm climbing back on again. I've got some extended birthday celebrations coming up, but I'll be sticking to it as far as I can, and I think I may try and do Phase I again after all the partying is over.

Thanks for updating us with your success, you're an inspiration to me.

Well done Egluntyne :dance:

I was looking through some old photos the other day and noticed that you had lost lots!

I can't get past Phase 1 of the Harcombe but it did stop me eating chocolate and I cut right down on bread. I still find Phase 1 useful and apply it to my WW plan.

I'm sure you'll soon get back on track Olly :)

I'm still going and now my husband's started too! Company at last. I loose about a pound a week which is just fine by me. It's great to hear about your success Eglutyne and it does give me hope that this is something I can do long term. I have found that the longer I'm on the diet, the easier it becomes. Does anyone have any suggestions for sugar free breakfast cereal? I've been eating Shredded Wheat (is that allowed?) but my husband can't stand it and is looking for an alternative.

Becka

This is interesting. :shock: Before I embarked upon this diet my cholesterol was highish. 6.4. I was vegetarian at the time too. Just had it redone this morning. It was 5.5. I now eat fish and the occasional bit of meat.

The only change in my lifestyle is this diet. It must be the porridge!