Janty

Lucky escape for Dad

My Dad is 73 but really with it thankfully. He called me at 8 tonight to tell me that a man with a briefcase had called at his door at about 5 minutes to eight saying that he was checking the electricity and gas tariffs in the area. He did not have a card or say who he was supposed to be from. My Dad, old ratbag that he is, played the senile old goat card and kept saying that he didn't know as his daughter deals with all that for him. The man then told him to go inside and get his bill so that he could have a look. Dad then told him that I had all his bills as he didn't understand them. The man said that he must have some somewhere and told him again to go inside and get one. Dad then said that he was cold so he had to go inside. Then he called me. I had the police out looking for the man within ten minutes. They called at Dad's for a description, etc.

Thank goodness Dad is with it. Goodness knows what the man would have done if some poor old person had gone inside to look for a bill. He's have been in after them for certain. Hope the police pick him up.

Thanks.....I'll look that up for him. No matter who calls he plays the old codger routine which is quite good. He is funny when he gets telephone calls telling him that he has won a competition. He replies,'That's funny 'cause I haven't entered one' and puts the phone down.

This happened to my nana. Twice in a year. (different people though). Said they were from the water board the first time and needed to check her radiators. We'd lost my grandad the year before and he took care of everything in that dept for my nan so she didn't know this was fishy and let them in. While she was watching one guy in the living room another chap was upstairs stealing some jewellry and her pension money. Luckily she wasn't hurt but we were SO angry you could not believe. The next time was few months later. A chap was hopping over garden fences and getting in the back doors of a few houses in her road. He told my nan that there have been cat burglers around and he was checking security. Luckily a savvy neighbour came round at the same time as he saw him hop over the fece and the guy escaped before he took anything. Grrr. At this point my nana had been diagnosed with alzheimers so she'd have probably let him in too. It makes me so angry that people can prey on the elderly like this. My nan is now in a lovely warden controlled flat getting the care she needs as well as security on the door so no-one can do this again to her.

Well done to your dad, dread to think what could've happened otherwise.