Guest Dilly

New Cube - early delivery date

:) I'm hoping that, even if I have to post them in once, after that they will realise where to go. They naturally try to roost upwards, so I don't think there will be a ladder problem.

When we built a platform, it didn't take them long to explore up the ramp to the Eglus. I did use a trail of corn the 1st night, but after that they knew where to go without question.

Can't wait to try it out! :D:D

PS. Hope I've left room for a cube...

....and the droppings tray.... :?

:roll::lol:

Thanks for your replies, Kate and Sheila. As you say, the chickens will get used to it. Even the Cochin might manage it, but if she can't I will still have the Mark 2 Eglu. I haven't decided yet how to rearrange my chickens; I think this is because I have to see the cube first.

I don't think the cube and run will take up anything like as much room lengthwise as the Eglu and run, and so the poo trays which are at the back shouldn't be a problem. They don't come out nearly as far as the Eglu tray. see See this picture from the Omlet site:

eglu_cube_green_tray_large.gif

It's the width that's more worrying: it's considerably wider than the Eglu, and I think you need to have access to both sides. But this time next week quite a number of us will know for sure.

Sorrry to butt in but do you know if you buy a cube you have to build it yourself and how easy it is? I am so tempted to get one :roll: Also are most of you getting run extensions. I see that the run is the same length as the eglu run but the cube is on top so they will have the same length but more width but as it is for more chickens would it be better to go for the extension as well - afterall when spending that much on the girls maybe I should go all the way :lol: Also what is the least favourite colour - I assume I would get that quickest. :wink:

Sorrry to butt in but do you know if you buy a cube you have to build it yourself and how easy it is?

Butt in anytime, Jill! :D Although I imagine that the assembly & instructions are straighforward, I went for the easy option & ordered a cube with 2 chickens so that Omlet have to come here! Only an option (& yes, a sneaky way to increase flock), if in delivery area but I see that you are (I think?)

Also what is the least favourite colour - I assume I would get that quickest. :wink:

Afraid it doesn't work like that. Good logic, but they are made according to orders, at the moment.

So, pick your favourite colour & order it! :lol::lol:

I'm SOOOOO relieved about that last post - I assumed that Omlet would assemble it for me or that it would come ready built in the truck, then I started to panic that I cwould have to build it mysefl! (I can't even build lego!! :lol: ) But we've got chickens coming too so I'm relying on Mr or Mrs All knowing super chicken meister to show me what to do!

Altho am getting a bit nervous about the delivery dates, I'm supposed to be getting mine June 16th for Fathers day so a delay will be a bit of a nightmare, still, can't wait to see everyones pictures of their new cubes. And at least there'll be a whole LOAD of experience for me to beg for once we get ours!!

Mrs B

(isn't it exciting?!! :clap: )

I think that assembling a cube is probably easy when you know how.

But I decided to order it with two chickens, so I could sit back and watch someone make it up for me at no extra expense. (I also want the chickens, I hasten to add: I thought my original pair from Omlet were wonderful, and such good layers compared with the posh pair I bought subsequently.)

I don't mean to gloat about having a cube. I can't really afford it, but I need more chickens.

Thanks for all your replies. Oh dear, decisions, decisions. I have just bought another hen - a pretty white one with a black necklace so I now have three. It is tempting to get another 2 with the cube - oh my god the costs keep rising :roll: - especially as I am useless at putting anything together and I would be worried it would collapse within days. Then I would have to decide on the colour. Now my son has moved to Bath we are an all girls house as I split from my husband ages ago so we could go for a really girly pink one but it would be rather 'in your face' so maybe I should go for a green one, but is that a bit boring.

I think I will make a decision this weekend (who am I kidding there is no way I won't get one and I am sure it will be pink :lol: )

Here are eight good reasons for getting a Cube:

1. You can choose from a much wider range of chickens. The Omlet advice on buying chickens states that the Eglu is not suitable for large breeds such as Wyandottes or Cochins, and they are right: my poor hens looked so squashed, and can hardly stand in the Eglu: I can't wait to get them into a cube.
  2. The hens can jump about a bit in the Cube's high run. It must be oppressive having such a low ceiling and no chance to flap their wings.
  3. Because the walls are higher, you can hang the feeders higher and so use the drip-type (supplied) that don't get dirty.
  4. Rats will not be able to burrow under the chicken house, as it is off the ground.
  5. The Cube is much less space-wasting than the Eglu and run: the tapered shape of the Eglu just means wasted land each side at the point where it is narrow; and the Eglu itself takes up valuable space that provides a great shelter with the Cube.
  6. The Cube has wheels, and can be pushed around more easily.
  7. Because it is much wider than the Eglu set-up, you can add several extensions to the run without it looking like a poly-tunnel.
  8. Last but certainly not least, you can get so many more hens in.

But having a second home for emergencies and new, small, or sick hens is important too, so hang on to your Eglu.

Hope that leaves you with only the colour to decide on!

It just gets better and better. So many reasons! I had thought I would sell my eglu but I think you are right and I will hang on to it. As you say it is now just a question of choosing the colour. Roughly how long will I have to wait once I order it? I know that once the order is placed I will be like a child waiting for Christmas :lol: Does anyone know how wide it is including the skirt and is everyone going for an extension - without it it does not seem like a lot more run space when you take into account the extra chickens?

I keep thinking of more reasons to get a Cube: it is so much easier to clean, especially the droppings tray.

I don't think even Omlet can be sure about delivery dates for the Cube yet. My guess would be that it could take as long as six weeks, but I might be quite wrong.

And as people are getting their deliveries from Tuesday, perhaps you should wait and see what we have to say after we have them....

I am having one extension, because the proportions look all wrong without one, and too much of the space comprises the shelter under the cube.

Everything you need to know about run sizes is on this Omlet products page: click the diagrams on the right. The main thing to beware of is width, as not only is it wider, but I think you need full access to both sides: but I will be able to tell you for sure after mine arrives on Thursday.

Tnanks. I agree, I was planning on one extension otherwise I think the run will be too small. Have taken on board about them jumping on top and maybe launching off and over the side of my outer run. That is how I have lost chickens in the past and the run sides keep getting higher and higher! I hope the width won't be a problem but I will hold off (probably) til some of you have got your cubes and can tell us all about them. They look much easier to clean out - no bending down and the tray getting clogged up by the chickens scratching outside the back.

My eglu is sitting on top of some greenhouse shelving at the moment - and I put a log in front of it - you can see on my website under chickens.

They have no trouble flying up onto the log and going in or flying right into the eglu

I didn't have to encourage or train them either - it just seemed to happen naturally.

They also have tall (for them) logs to perch on - roughly twice their height, so I don't the the ladder will pose any problems.

Just thought I would mention it - in case it helps

But none of my hens is able to fly upwards any more....

I think the Wyandotte will manage to get up the ladder, as she can jump. The Pepperpot might just manage it. But I don't think that there is a chance of the Cochin succeeding: no Cochin has ever flown! And she so likes her bed.

Perhaps I will have to put a log in to give them all a leg-up on to the ladder. It will be interesting seeing what happens. I so hope it isn't still raining on Thursday.

I am awfully tempted to keep the Cochin alone in the Mark 2 and put some Clarence Court eggs under her.

Apparently the ladder is not very high off the ground I was advised - but it does look it in the photo.

But it is easy for a hen and even a bantam to just hop up onto it apparently.

I know that when I ordered an eglu + chickens they built it for me but I can't find anywhere that says they will build the cube if I add chickens into the order. Am I being stupid and missing it somewhere? Are you sure it will be built as I am really bad at that sort of thing. If not I will pay an odd job man to come and do it for me as I would hate to get it wrong and for it to collapse and squash them :cry: Then I would get extra chickens locally and go for some different breeds. Have any cubes been delivered yet and is there any feedback? Sorry to be boring and dense but before I place the order I want to make sure I get it right. (still can't decide between the colours - pink and purple are favourites at the moment)

None delivered yet - apparently Tuesday is the first day I think.

I live outside the delivery and area so noone to put mine together, but I am sure that if you are in the Omlet delivery area, it seems logical that they will offer the same service as they do with the eglus.

I don't see any problem with the ladder as my girls always hop onto the top of the eglu and the back of a garden bench. Their natural instinct when going to bed is to roost high so they will do it automatically. I would quite like to have had another bigger door in the wire so if we need to go into the run we would not have to crawl through the little one. It will always be poo on the knees time :roll:

I think Kate is the first one to get a cube on Tues - I'm second on Wed 16th May so we can let you know about whether they build it for you or not - I hope so as I'm useless at that sort of thing too ! I will try to take photos of things like the door mechanism ( how much room you need etc), the ladder height from the ground etc. as these are things people are asking about - I may need some technical help though! Jenny

Thanks - I have done some measuring and I won't have a problem with the size but as I have three different chickens it would be quite nice to get another couple completely different but I know if I have to build the cube myself I will hate not having it up immediately. Just too impatient :oops: Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

Mine will be built by whoever delivers it although I'm not having chickens because I've specifically asked James who has agreed because I can then answer questions arising about it on the forum.

I would assume that if you're having chickens delivered with your Cube that they will build it for you but if it's being couriered, you'll have to construct it yourself as happens with the Eglus which are sent via courier.