Guest Ginette

Two Mark IIs or One Cube?

I would like more chickens (don't we all?) and I have convinced OH that now our 3 are over 2 years old, we can expect less eggs from them. So it would be a good idea to introduce some younger models to boost the number of eggs we will have. OH has completely fallen for my logic! :lol:

I think that introducing a new group would be easier with two eglus. I have a large home-made pen which is about 4m x 3m and would accommodate 2 eglus. But obviously one Cube would take up less room than two Mark IIs leaving more ground space for my increased flock.

As second-hand Mark IIs are selling for about £300, it doesn't make any financial difference whether I buy a second hand Mark II or buy a new Cube and then sell my Mark II.

I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on this which might help me come to a decision?

Incidentally, totally irrelevant to the subject I know, but I can't afford to do either! :oops: Not sure that's going to stop me! :wink:

There may be mixing problems with just one run. Two flocks might give you more options.

have you looked into the ground space below the runs, the cube may actually have less. I don't know.

Would the cube still be in the pen like the eglus? Were you including omlet runs or just the actual houses?

Would it make any difference if they were shut in while you were away, if that happens?

The cube is really cool, and I'm soooo jealous of people getting them :lol: I would love one, and it would probably make my pig-sty of a garden look better. There are options of automatical waterers, no join between skirt/eglu (safer) and roosting/nest areas separate (I think :? )

Hiya - you could always do what I am going to do. I am going to get a cube after my June holidays. My plan is to put my 3 original Omlet girls in the luxury cube & get 3 -4 new hens for my eglu mk2. I will then introduce the new girls into the cube slowly & with caution. If they don't get on too well, I have always got my mk2 to put the bossy ones in!!!

But a long way down the line, when they all eventually get on & live in the cube, then I'll have an empty mk2 eglu. Plans for then are either getting some bantams, letting a broody sit on some eggs, or just using it to rear some young chicks in.

I wouldn't sell my mk2. It could also be useful as an eglu hospital, if ever one gets poorly!

If you can, save up for a cube & keep your eglu too! I'm doing car boots etc etc at the moment, even tho hubby has set me a business strategy. If I do it, he said he'll buy me my cube. If I sell more than the set target, he will buy me my pure breeds as well!!!! I know I'm going to do it as I've pushed myself that bit more this month, just to get my cube! :lol:

Emma.x

Well done for convincing OH Ginette :D faultless logic!

If it were me, I'd have 2 mark 2 eglus on platforms, thus giving more ground space under the eglus, more flexible accommodation for introductions and possible isolation. Plus I prefer the look of the old eglus. :D

But that's just my reasoning.

Thank you for your comments so far. It is really helpful to hear what other people would do.

At the moment I have an eglu with the eglu run still attached inside my big pen. At night I enjoy the different layers of security this gives the girls. No fox has got into my pen in 12 months so I am convinced of its safety, but even if one managed to get in, it would still have to dig into the eglu run. In the winter with the eglu door closed, it still couldn't get my girls.

Raising the eglus is an idea I hadn't thought of, although it would mean not having a run attached. Definitely a good idea though. Having 2 eglus also seems a more flexible arrangement than just one housing block.

Aunty E - if you get an offer go for it! I'm still pondering. And get this - OH isn't sure he wants a green one! I thought that was a female thing! :lol: And he is refusing to carry an eglu home on the train! :roll::roll:

Well, they're supposed to split between an ark and the eglu, but they are very fond of each other indeed, and insist on sleeping together. When we still had Chick and Bob was still alive it was hilarious, it kind of went

Pekins, Chick and Silkie in nesting box (all together), Four hybrids and an araucana top to tail like sardines all the way along the back and then one hybrid by the door. Now, it's top to tail along the back, pekin under a hybrid's wing and silkie in the nesting box. Actually, there's still tons of room in there, cos no one wants to sleep by the door. It's not ideal though, and I have to do the poop tray and spray the bars with poultry shield two or three times a week.

Ginette you plan sounds great to me! 8)

If i were you i would buy a cube and keep your mark 2 and i think there would still be room in your run esp if you put the mark 2 on a platform therefore saving on ground space :idea:

So now the plan is hatched so to speak :wink: what color will your mark 3 be? Obviously it needs to compliment your blue mark 2 so you could go pink but purple would be great too! :lol:

Well done for convincing OH Ginette :D faultless logic!

If it were me, I'd have 2 mark 2 eglus on platforms, thus giving more ground space under the eglus, more flexible accommodation for introductions and possible isolation. Plus I prefer the look of the old eglus. :D

But that's just my reasoning.

Mine as well Clare! - great minds............. :D