Random_Girl66

Hens Urgently Requiring Homes - Closure Of Free Range Farm

So, collected my 2 today and they are beautiful. they are outside now getting used to their new home. lovely birds.

I would have loved to have picked up some more. Jo is wonderful and so helpful. I let her pick mine and she got me two that I could tell apart and made sure they were both layers for me. There were quite a few people there but Jo and her family had time for every one.

I travelled two hours to get there and it was so worth it so if anyone has any space for a couple more, get yourselves down there and give a lovely girl a new home and a chance of a long life.

There are still plenty left and you wouldn't want to see any of these lovely girls life end prematureley, would you now.

Hi, my OH and I picked up our two girls from this farm on Sunday!! Both were well feathered and friendly and we were able to handle and pick them up so probably not far off laying. Now we are just dealing with the intros, Myrtle GNR is going to be top chook closely followed by Maisie PP - well they were there first!!!

I will just keep an eye out for any feather loss or blood shed.

Hi, my OH and I picked up our two girls from this farm on Sunday!! Both were well feathered and friendly and we were able to handle and pick them up so probably not far off laying. Now we are just dealing with the intros, Myrtle GNR is going to be top chook closely followed by Maisie PP - well they were there first!!!

I will just keep an eye out for any feather loss or blood shed.

If you have just brought them home they should really be in quarentine for at least a week - more ideally. Then intros handled slowly.

The hens from this farm are about 12 months old so will in in lay already. However you may find that the move upsets things and they may not lay for a little while.

i have already commited to 2 more in april and then its a full house although i would drive there and pay for them myself if i can convince my friend to take on more

or i am happy to collect if there are people vwilling to pay and collect from nr welshpool. feel really bad for them

Hi there,

Has anyone ever transported chickens on a train? I don't drive but I'd love to rehome one or two of these birds as I have a lone hen at the moment and they look gorgeous. Also does anyone know if Northampton station is anywhere near this farm - I'm probably barking up the wrong tree and it would be completely impractical!

Thanks,

I don't think it's near any stations unfortunately. It's very close to Silverstone racetrack and the Silverstone golf club - ie a bit out of the way. Do you know anyone who would give you a lift? I'm sorry I don't live nearer, I would have loved to help.

The farm is called Red Ditches Farm, and the post code is MK18 5LH. If you type this into Google it will show you on a map whereabouts it is. Looks like Brackley or Milton Keynes would be the nearest towns?

I just had a look on the map and Northampton rail station is 16 miles away from the farm :(

More pics for anyone who might be wavering ...

They really are very friendly and gentle little things, and so inquisitive!

IMG_2352.jpg

IMG_2351.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

Whilst I would hesitate to recommend ex batts to novice chicken keepers, at least not as first birds, these little lovelies would be ideal for anyone starting out. They are very healthy and bright, and just delightful company!

Go on, you know you want to ....

Hear Hear Barkisland!! I rescued two beautiful little girls from the farm last Sunday - Dotty and Daisy, THey have settled in remarkably well and assited with the gardening on Sunday by perching on the fork as OH dug some holes - they are so friendly and inquisitive - they are fast becoming "Daddy's Girls" too - my OH loves, bearing in mind he was in two minds whether I could get them in the first place. :roll:

A colleague of mine is due to go and get some shortly as they have postponed the 28th Feb 'slaughter date'. From what he has told me they have rehomed thousands of birds but there are still plenty available. As they have had an overwhelming response it has taken the pressure off them a little but they still need more homes.

I would love to take some but I think my poor little banties would be scared silly of properly big chooks! Any suggestions on whether its viable to add a couple of full size chooks to a well established little flock of banties?

I was just about to sign up for a BHWT rescue when I came across this thread and emailed them (I only live about 15mins away from silverstone). I have only 1 girl left and she's looking very sad for herself so I'm now thinking the sooner I can get companions for her the better. Anyway, already had a reply and for anyone else interested sounds like they have quite a few birds left. Collections are Fridays & Sundays until the 28th March.

The girls I got from them are very docile and friendly, so I would go for it Lizzie. They will even try and pick out some smaller ones for you, if you ask them.

I believe they still had a couple of thousand left last weekend when I went. They are beautiful birds, and the farm's owners are lovely too, I really can't recommend them highly enough.