Random_Girl66

Hens Urgently Requiring Homes - Closure Of Free Range Farm

Hi, not sure where to post this so apologies if it's in the wrong place. I was sent the following email by a friend of friend about a free range farm that is having to close down and therefore sell all their layers - I know nothing more about it than the detail below. I don't have room for any more hens but thought maybe some of you out there may be able to help??

Collections are Fridays & Sundays until the 28th March. The farm is called Red Ditches Farm, and the post code is MK18 5LH.

link to video is

it would be great if you could forward that to as many as pos as it seems to be the most effective at the moment, probably because it pulls at the heart strings a bit.

and this is my written ad

Hens for sale / save from slaughter

Due to feed prices going up and price of eggs going down we have no choice but to pack up free range egg farming after 25years . These are laying hens and are not suitable for roast dinners! They are just over 1 year old and will lay good eggs for years to come. These birds are reared to RSPCA higher welfare standards, approved under

the Freedom Food scheme. These birds produce eggs to the Lion Code Standards. The breed is HY-LINE Laying hens

Very friendly and cheap to keep and will lay an egg a day as long as they have food in their tummies.

Hens must be picked up by the end of feb as they go to slaughter in march.

(Please bring your own boxes or crates, i will be on hand to help catch but you may need to be patient if im helping another person) All healthy and fully feathered. Cost = 10 or under £3 per hen, 11 plus is £2 per hen

This is a lot cheaper than garden centres etc and are top of the range layers.

Please contact me (Jo) via PM

Edited by Guest

How sad, it made me cry so what an effective video, I would like to take a couple myself, just wondering would hybrids who are vaccinated pose any risk to my non vaccinated pure breeds. I am assuming it would depend on when they were vaccinated, ie if recently then it would still be live?

I'm afraid I don't know much about it but I believe it is somewhere in South Northamptonshire. There is a little more detail on the You Tube video or you can PM me and I can pass on the contact info.

Thanks for details as I know someone who may be interested. We're based in Bristol so it may be a little too far :(

Hey "Ooops, word censored!"by...thank you for the info 8)

How are things going with your hens?

Ha, ha, ha...you have 'morehen' disease now then :lol:

Before you know it...you too will have 20 hens like us :lol:

Take care

Edited by Guest

Collected my 5 girls this morning. They are getting used to their new home & scratting around happily. :D

There were at least 5 other families there & others arriving as we were leaving. One lady must have had about 20 all free in the back of her trailer on her 4x4. :lol: Jo (the lady who posted the video) says that all of the hens will hopefully have homes as the response has been amazing. :clap::clap: