SteveC

Anyone advise what to store feed in?

i use plastic or metals bins with tight fitting lids

The IKEA metal dustbins are a bit smaller and so easier to fit in to a shed and they take a 20kg bag of feed exactly and they are a bit more attractive than the average bin!

as long as the lid fits you can keep feed bins outside though

I also use a bog standard metal bin in the shed (with the corn and pellet bags just put inside) and then use plastic containers (that were originally sold as fish bait containers) for smaller amounts in the kitchen. I'm on the look out however for something a bit prettier than fish bait containers. Any ideas? Anyone know of anything that might have a chicken on them?

i use plastic or metals bins with tight fitting lids

The IKEA metal dustbins are a bit smaller and so easier to fit in to a shed and they take a 20kg bag of feed exactly and they are a bit more attractive than the average bin!

as long as the lid fits you can keep feed bins outside though

Redwing, which IKEA dustbins are you referring to? Are they the Knodd brightly coloured ones with a 16 litre capacity? :?: Does 16 litre equate to 20kgs of feed?

We've got some big rectangular feed storage bins (think they were from Pets at Home) that we use for the chicken, dog, cat and rabbit feed - they come with a scoop in the lid and the lids hinge and clip closed. Just had a look on the website and can't see them listed, although there is a picture of one on as the link to 'dog food storage' if you click on 'dog bowls and accessories', so don't know if they might still have them in store.

They've always done the trick for us as they're in our cellar at the moment, although when the shed goes in and we move the chicken feed up there for ease, we might invest in some metal bins, just in case.

Wow - there's some food for thought! :think: I think I'm tempted by the dustbin suggestion - maybe will see if I can find something smaller than the standard one - with a clip lid if possible. :)

Mine has clips on the side and it came from ebay, there were various sizes available too if I remember rightly. I have a normal size one and can fit a 20kg bag of food in and 10kg bag of mixed corn.

I've just bought one of these from the Domestic Fowl Trust for my chicky corn and am delighted with it as it does not need to live in the kitchen or even take up space in the shed but can live outside (on the patio in my case) since it has a rat proof lid. :clap:

Feed Bins Mini Captive Lid

I've got the mini version but they do other sizes. Thought some of you might also find this useful :)

A plastic purple dustbin from equestrian centre , you push the two handles down to close and press the middle of lid to open , pellets are nice and dry inside.

I like it so much i plan on getting one for the corn.....£14.99 and come in a variety of colours even pink.