hopingforchickens

is there a way round covenants? *Updated!*

Apparently our deeds say you can't have livestock. I, and the chap at the end of the road who got chooks because I did, will argue that our 3 (or 4 in his case) are pets not livestock. And when you see how we pander to their every need, it's clear they are pets that just happen to give us breakfast.

If anyone did complain I'd be straight on about all those who have taken the tree out of their garden that was put in when the house was built, or take up the front grass and replace with paving/pebbles etc or park on the street. None of these are allowed!

Anyhow, I was not going to say any of the above - I just got carried away. :doh:

What I was going to say was - hopingforchickens - you don't say where you live. Is there an keeper of chooks close by you can visit and take the neighbour with you so they can see for themselves that a few girls are no trouble?

Apparently our deeds say you can't have livestock. I, and the chap at the end of the road who got chooks because I did, will argue that our 3 (or 4 in his case) are pets not livestock. And when you see how we pander to their every need, it's clear they are pets that just happen to give us breakfast.

If anyone did complain I'd be straight on about all those who have taken the tree out of their garden that was put in when the house was built, or take up the front grass and replace with paving/pebbles etc or park on the street. None of these are allowed!

Anyhow, I was not going to say any of the above - I just got carried away. :doh:

What I was going to say was - hopingforchickens - you don't say where you live. Is there an keeper of chooks close by you can visit and take the neighbour with you so they can see for themselves that a few girls are no trouble?

thanks for the advice, I already have a lady on a very nice (posh) street near by, around my neighbour's age willing to show her her own chooks (living in a cube!) and has said she will do her best to talk her round :pray: just waiting for my neighbour to come back from where ever she has gone to now...

went to breeder today who said she would be happy for us to take some home for a weeks trial, which I thought was very nice of her, but I'm worried I would get too attached. I also looked at some quail, as I'm under the (mistaken?) impression they don't make as much noise (or at least it's more musical). I'm hoping they would make a happy compromise in the worst case, also I can argue that they are game, not poultry! :lol:

prohibits boarding or breeding poultry... :(

Just poultry hmmm? Well in that case if you'd like useful pets how about a goat or two instead? :whistle:

I hope you get this issue sorted. I think they're are two possibilities here, either she has genuine concerns, in which case you should be able to discuss them and reassure her / come to a compromise. OR, she is dead set against you getting chooks and won't even discuss it properly. Personally, in that case I'd be sorely tempted to go for it anyway. :twisted: If she was going to be that akward then having the covenant removed from the deed would not stop her making spurious complaint about noise smell rats etc which would only be proved unfounded and thus be ignored anyway.

While I would be reluctant to start a war with a neighbour why should their unreasonble atitude stop you from having the pets you want so long as they are not causing any harm!? Forgive me if I playing devils's advocate here.

I guess in the end you have to do what is right for you! You know your neighbour we don't. Fingers crossed she is willing to discuss the idea.

N

Well she's still away at the minute, I've been putting the run up this weekend anyway (we had all the stuff!), so SOMETHING is going in it :lol: I'm hoping that if she says NO! to chickens we can get quail as a compromise... plus I am going to assure her that they are game, not poultry, therefore it's tough :dance:

Get a couple of quales them a add a few GNR when her back is turned, you can say you hadn't realised that a bird so small could make such a loud clucking noise. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I don't have any quail, but somehow I don't think they'd quite fill the spot that a chook or two would. :(

If you don't realy know where your neighbour has gone then it seems likely that you are not all that close / don't see her that often, so I'd go ahead anyway but have banties not biggies as a kind of half way between hens and quail :think: Perhaps something like Pekins would be nice. They make noises just like little guinea pigs rather than your usual chicken noises, nothing too loud and they are very cute too in all their different colours. Think of them as guinea pigs with feathered bussels. :lol:

Fingers crossed here too :pray: I had such a struggle to get my OH to let me have chickens (took me years!) so I know how key these debates can be and I can imagine how distressing it must be to be all set to have chooks at last and then find another hitch in the form of a sulky neighbour. Here's wishing you the best of luck. Remember you have a whole group of people behind you :D

We also have a covenant on our property although ours is a bit of an interesting set up. OUr house backs onto a large park which is separated from our garden by a stream. At the end part of the garden (which is an extra bit of land bought by the previous owners - makes our garden a kind of l-shape) is another piece of land (the same side of the stream as our garden) which was donated to the city council about ten years ago to be used as an arboretum (its on the site of an old house and the trees are very unusual). The city council now keep, at various times of the year, sheep and cows. This is in addition to the huge number of ducks which live in the park (we've counted forty in our garden some mornings!). When i wanted to get chickens I spoke to my neighbours who were quite happy as long as we didn't have a cockerel. All has been fine - even though our one neighbour can be a bit quiet, she did actually lean over the fence one day and say how she likes to hear them when she's out in the garden! It amazes me that the rules can be so different either side of the fence!

My point is, even though we have a convenant, it would be very difficult to make a fuss about my girls without also tackling the issue of the ducks and cows and sheep! Believe me, the ducks are horrendously noisy (they also regularly fly into out patio doors and windows - lots of duck prints!).

People who use the local park also stand and watch them which is quite niceas my girls seem to bring pleasure to other people.