hopingforchickens

is there a way round covenants? *Updated!*

it's so ironic that you can get a manic barking dog, or a squeaky trampoline, or an obsession with power tools with no regard to deeds or covenants and no one would dream of asking the neighbours if it was ok.........

my husband has already pointed out to her that the dog and children will make far more noise than the chooks ever will... tried to go round again, still no answer, starting to think maybe she has gone away for a few days :think:

I'd get the chucks and tell the neighbour that you have spoken to Land registry who suggested that it is an issue the neighbour would need to take up with the new holders as it is NOT illegal to keep them. As this will cost your neighbour chances are they won't press it especially if you take them some eggs every now and then. :D:D:D It was right that your neighbour bought this to your attention and you can get round their disapproval by saying thanks for making you aware of the Covenant you checked with the LR who stated it's not illegal. As I am assuming you are buying or bought your home. you have rights as does your neighbour.

Keep us posted on developments.

Bill

I am sorry to say this but there is no way I would get chickens if my neighbours objected. We really need to be able to live alongside each other without discord. You don't know when you are going to need each other. Whilst I love my ladies it is just as important to me to get along with my neighbours. I have told the story before about my friend whose neighbour keeps hens. Her summers are unbearable with early morning noise. They have tried everything, earplugs, keeping windows closed. They are walking zombies. I would hate to inflict this on my neighbours.

For the majority of us, our chickens are relatively quiet and cause no upset but occasionally early morning noise will be an issue. You can't tell in advance if your chickens will be quiet..................or not. Alli xx

I am sorry to say this but there is no way I would get chickens if my neighbours objected. We really need to be able to live alongside each other without discord. You don't know when you are going to need each other. Whilst I love my ladies it is just as important to me to get along with my neighbours. I have told the story before about my friend whose neighbour keeps hens. Her summers are unbearable with early morning noise. They have tried everything, earplugs, keeping windows closed. They are walking zombies. I would hate to inflict this on my neighbours.

For the majority of us, our chickens are relatively quiet and cause no upset but occasionally early morning noise will be an issue. You can't tell in advance if your chickens will be quiet..................or not. Alli xx

If your neighbour complained out of the blue tomorrow you'd get rid of all your laddies? We are not looking at a farm yard of Chucks here just a couple and in my experience there is more noise from neighbours etc. than a two or three chucks give off. We had to get an abaitment order on our neighbour due to the noise they made.

I am not suggesting that neighbours should be upset but what I am saying is there is more noise pollution out there, dogs barking a stupid O'clock cars and bikes revving, hammering, kids screaming bla bla bla.

If you would get rid of your chucks because they may upset a neighbour I wonder if your neighbour would be as considerate?

Just my thoughts I may be off the mark.

Bill

if you would get rid of your chucks because they may upset a neighbour I wonder if your neighbour would be as considerate?

Just my thoughts I may be off the mark.

Bill

I have to say i agree with Bill, i understand how difficult it must be but i cant see how a couple of chickens in the garden can make any more noise than my 3 young children do! :roll: I didnt consult my neighbours before i had them! I really hope you manage to find a way to keep some hens, they bring so much joy to our lives. With so much doom and gloom around at the moment we all need an outlet! :|

But surely it would not be a good idea to go ahead and get chickens when you know that your neighbour is, at present, not keen on the idea? You are asking for trouble!

The fact that your neighbour may not be as considerate as you is irrelevant. My brother lives next door to the neighbour from hell and, having heard some of the stories he has to tell, I would do everything I could to avoid falling out with a neighbour. Much better to have a friendly chat about it first and get them onside.

But surely it would not be a good idea to go ahead and get chickens when you know that your neighbour is, at present, not keen on the idea? You are asking for trouble!

The fact that your neighbour may not be as considerate as you is irrelevant. My brother lives next door to the neighbour from hell and, having heard some of the stories he has to tell, I would do everything I could to avoid falling out with a neighbour. Much better to have a friendly chat about it first and get them onside.

This is becoming a divisive thread. That's not a bad thing there are many fair points being raised the pro's and con's either way you look at it what might be someone's cup of tea may not be the next persons and no matter how considerate one tries to be that does not take away the possibility that the next neighbour may be a neighbour from hell.

Our neighbour was always pleasant then one day all changed it had nothing to do with us but we caught the brunt off it a nightmare for a year sleepless nights etc. All is settled now but you never know.

I can only say what I say from experience I have two chucks and am learning from experience so hopefully making life comfortable for my neighbours as well as my family chucks and surrounding area.

I am sure there are some breeds of chucks that make less noise than others? That may be an option? Keep them clean so minimising flies and possible complaints about smell. Or forgo your own joy possibly feel resentment for not experiencing something that may make you and others happy for the slim possibility that 1 person may take exception.

Lets know what decission you make.

Bill

!eggwhite!!egggreen!!eggbrown!!eggblue!!eggcream!!eggspeck!

Do you know our neighbour who is on the other side of the fence from the chooks didn't even know we had them for about three weeks and that was only because we lifted the fence panels out to spray them :? She is fine with them and quite likes them being there.

The bluetits are making the most noise in our garden at the moment.

I bet you wish you hadn't been so open now - we didn't ask any of the neighbours before we got ours, everyone that comes to visit wants some. But we do have a friend who is phobic and would not come out of the house even though the girls were in the run, beyond me, but I am phobic about the dentist so who am I to say anything.

I think the suggestion to say that you have checked already and you are OK as long as you dont keep Cockerels is a good one, you can then maybe ask if she has any concerns that you would of course be able to address, then everyone is happy.

What a dilemma.

My neighbour starts his motor motorbike every morning at 7am to go off to work he didn't ask me if that was ok and I wouldn't expect him to. They are great and at least it makes me get up to let the girls out. I certanly wouldn't pander to these people. Go get your GNRGNRGNR and enjoy them. This is becomming a bit like a soap. :lol: I can't wait to see what happens next. :lol:

Our covenants were on our new house and were only for the first 5 yrs after completion of the whole site, it is worth checking, ours didn't have anything restricting chickens mostly garden walls and commercial vehicles and caravans....worth checking them out.

No-one ever says 'I'm thinking of getting a cat/dog/potbellied pig, would you have any objections' do they? :lol:

Very good point. However, my ex neighbour was a mad woman and once started screaming at me over the top of the fence (she must have been standing on a chair!) about one of my hens who squarked for about 10 minutes at 10.30 in the morning. I didn't get on with her anyway (long history of her madness).

I was at the end of my tether with her and calmly asked her if she had a problem getting on with people. She stormed off and never spoke to me again (which was nice!). I believe she has started shouting at the new people now about car parking.

Anyway, if you have a difficult neighbour, I would not recommend aggravating them. Best to speak to her again not that you should have to, just so that you can protect your own interests. I'm sure that if you only got 2 chickens they could not make that much noise. There are ways and means of keeping them quiet in the morning. Closing the coop door at night for example. Good luck!

Wow I'm overwhelmed by all the responses to this! :o I've still not been able to speak to my neighbour yet (fear she may have gone away! :roll: ) her friend has been seen popping in and out so if I see him I will ask how long she is away for as the suspense is killing me!

I'm going to see how our chat goes and gauge from her response how to react. If she is TOTALLY against the idea then I will back down (thinking about quail as an alternative...?) however I'm hoping that if I explain what I have planned and how much thought has gone into it she may 'allow' us to get some, at least on a trial basis. I feel slightly miffed at having to 'ask' and if it wasn't stated in the deeds I would just go ahead (I don't think she would have said anything in that case). Anyhoo, sorry to keep everyone in suspenders, but the saga continues, lets hope it has a happy ending all round! :pray:

however I'm hoping that if I explain what I have planned and how much thought has gone into it she may 'allow' us to get some, at least on a trial basis. I feel slightly miffed at having to 'ask'

LOL Strongly I'd roll on the floor.

I have to see how this one plays out wish you where my neighbour I'd have you dancing too :D:D:D:D

Sorry this is getting funnier by the minute.

I don't wish to seem like i'm making fun of you but that reads so funny :lol::lol::lol:

Ignore me please :dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance::dance:

Bill

however I'm hoping that if I explain what I have planned and how much thought has gone into it she may 'allow' us to get some, at least on a trial basis. I feel slightly miffed at having to 'ask'

I have to see how this one plays out wish you where my neighbour I'd have you dancing too :D:D:D:D

I don't wish to seem like i'm making fun of you but that reads so funny :lol::lol::lol:

Bill

I'm obviously saying that with a huge tongue in my cheek :!: I'm glad you are enjoying my pain though :? In all seriousness as much as I want chickens I face living next to this woman for potentially the next 30 years as I can't afford to move again, so really don't want to start a huge war. As other posters have already said there's only really so far I can push this before the implications are too great, ie declaring disputes - or indeed the stress of having disputes in the first place. If the convenant didn't exist then I may have made more or a stand, but I'm a reasonable person and I don't think going in all guns blazing shows that I will be a responsible hen owner. There's no denying that they will make a certain amount of noise, in what is a very urban area and again as OP have stated I need my neighbours on side so that if I do end up with a noisy one etc they will be understanding...

Hazel, ours prohibits boarding or breeding :(

Bill

I'm obviously saying that with a huge tongue in my cheek :!: I'm glad you are enjoying my pain though :? In all seriousness as much as I want chickens I face living next to this woman for potentially the next 30 years as I can't afford to move again, so really don't want to start a huge war. As other posters have already said there's only really so far I can push this before the implications are too great, ie declaring disputes - or indeed the stress of having disputes in the first place. If the convenant didn't exist then I may have made more or a stand, but I'm a reasonable person and I don't think going in all guns blazing shows that I will be a responsible hen owner. There's no denying that they will make a certain amount of noise, in what is a very urban area and again as OP have stated I need my neighbours on side so that if I do end up with a noisy one etc they will be understanding...

Hazel, ours prohibits boarding or breeding :(

Am only pulling your leg I am finding this amusing just ignore me I know where you are coming from. Just found it amusing when you said if she ALLOWS you.

Will shut up now This is sooooooooooooooooooooooo funny. :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Bill

How about a bit of latteral thinking . . . ducks (duck)(white duck)

Just get a couple of dear ducks (running ducks with pom poms are adorable and you don't need a big pond, just something they can splash in like a big, low, tub trug or old butler's sink or such like.) Don't say anything to your neighbour and when she finally spots that you have ducks say all innocently "I got these because I konw you felt that chickens would not be a good thing" :angel: You'll have delicious eggs, pets that aren't too noisy, and continue to be an Omleteer. :D

Only for goodness sake don't get call ducks if the noise is what is worrying your neighbour. :shameonu:

I think they are quite a lot quieter, unless you happen to have call ducks (who live up to their name), but they can be messy as their poos are rather runny. Take a look on the duck area of this forum and see what people have to say :D You could start with two ducklings and see how that works. I defy your neighbour not to fall in love with a pair of little ducklings. :wink: but don't tell her till you have had them for a while.

(My adivice with neighbours is to remember that they are not usually friends. Stay polite, but otherwise ignore them and never make the 1st move, unless you happen to be very lucky in where you live.)

Wow I'm overwhelmed by all the responses to this! :o I've still not been able to speak to my neighbour yet (fear she may have gone away! :roll: ) her friend has been seen popping in and out so if I see him I will ask how long she is away for as the suspense is killing me!

I'm going to see how our chat goes and gauge from her response how to react. If she is TOTALLY against the idea then I will back down (thinking about quail as an alternative...?) however I'm hoping that if I explain what I have planned and how much thought has gone into it she may 'allow' us to get some, at least on a trial basis. I feel slightly miffed at having to 'ask' and if it wasn't stated in the deeds I would just go ahead (I don't think she would have said anything in that case). Anyhoo, sorry to keep everyone in suspenders, but the saga continues, lets hope it has a happy ending all round! :pray:

The suspense is killing all of us :!::lol::lol::lol::lol:

The suspense is killing all of us :!::lol::lol::lol::lol:

You and me both! She's probably gone on a 3 week cruise! :lol:

Muscovy ducks are virtually silent with the males making just a gentle hissing sound I believe

They are very large though and have sharp toenails so dont make the most cuddly of pets!

Ducks do smell a good bit worse than hens though especially in winter