CJB

abandoned chickens

Hi

Thanks everyone who gave me advice regarding the chickens and poorly cockerel that had been "left" for me at my new house.

Panic over!

Now that I have dealt with the filthy hen house and the mountain of poo inside it, I think I am going to like having the chickens around.

My children have really taken to them, and they are fasinating to watch.

No doubt I will be on here again with more questions soon enough.

Thanks again

Edited by Guest

Cath that is brilliant news! :dance:

So glad that you have fallen in love with the chickens and they with you by all accounts - they really fell on their feet when you bought the house :lol::lol:

It will be really great to have you around and if there are any questions you need to ask then just ask away! :D:D:D

Not sure where you are but if I'm close feel free to have some diatom/ red mite powder etc or if I can help in any other way

I'm up near Fakenham

I also have had a thought but I dont know what other people think. People have covered their wooden bars with plastikote stuff to make them easier to clean. Would it be possible to do this with the worst parts of a wooden house (floorse etc?)

It's really not necessary - if you keep a good layer of clean bedding on the floor and pick the poops reguarly, the floor doesn't get soiled at all. It's only bare floors, or ones with mountains of poo that are difficult to clean. Honestly :) ! The perches (or roosting bars depending on the type of housing) only get grubby if the chickens are stomping around in poo anyway, so a quick daily clean up is very much easier.

Hi Cath, just caught up with your story. What a fantastic job you've done! Especially on top of all the stress of moving. I'll bet those chickens (& Cockeral) can't believe their luck! I look forward to hearing about their progress .... perhaps you could give us a daily update?

Thats great news....what lucky lucky chickens they are to have had you come into their lives. :D

I'm so pleased your able to take them on and it sounds as if they are already a large part of your family.

I only have 3 but would to have more at a later date.

Looking forward to hearing how you get along.

Its great to hear that you have taken to your surprise. I was astonished to read your thread last week. I said to Mr C "You'll never guess what a forum member found in her new house.." and his response was "I read that one too!" :o

Good luck, please keep us posted.