Henslaved

Almost ready to expand my flock. *Pics added*

I have been wanting to get more chooks for a while now (feels like ages :roll: ) and am just about ready. My OH has built me a mini house and run to fit inside my recently extended WIR (bless him :angel: ).

I have managed to source some gold laced wyandottes which are just feathering up at the minute and should be ready in a few weeks time (I have yet to go and see them). Should I wait until they are at POL or just get them in a few weeks time and keep them in the separate run until they reach POL when hopefully everyone will have got used to each other?

All advice appreciated :D .

Edited by Guest

There has been a change of plan regarding my new girls.

Apparently the gold laced wyandotte bantams the supplier thought were girls, are infact boys :( . But one is a girl :D , so hopefully I am going to collect her on thursday, and maybe a white wyandotte bantam too, or maybe a welsummer (can't make up my mind :roll: ), will decide when I get there :D .

Can't wait :D:D I have had morehens for what seems like ages :lol: .

Well the plot thickens :roll: , not only were the girls bantams :roll: they were both about 6 months old :shock: not "just feathering up" as I was told :x . And I'm afraid my morehens got the better of me :wall: , as I had been waiting for these ladies for over three weeks and had just driven for over an hour to pick them up. So I chose a the gold laced wyandotte bantam and a welsummer bantam over the white wyandotte bantam.

I have just put them into their separate coop and the current residents are none too pleased to say the least :roll: . The two newbies are going to need a bit of work too, they hide whenever I go inside the run :( and squawk like there was a fox in there (don't think this breeder handles her chooks very much :roll: ).

Needless to say lesson learned when buying new hens :oops: .

Will post pics when I can.

I've done what you have done i.e. travelled a bit to pick up new chooks and then found that they were not really what I was expecting but because of the distance and because I'd told myself I'd be returning with new chooks, I still took them. :doh:

Initially I regretted it, but now, six months later I can say that I have managed to tame up my non-POL girls (I think one was at least 2 years old) and now love these girls every bit as much as my others. I'm sure you will do so too :D

I hope so Cheaky Chook :pray: .

I did ask the breeder if they were pure breeds as it looked like the welsummer had cream legbar in her and she said "oooh no I don't let my breeding stock mix"

:think: just looked up about welsummer bantams and apparently they're supposed to have bright red combs, wattles and EAR LOBES! My new girls are white :shock: , the gold laced wyandotte bantam doesn't look like I expected she would either.

Don't supposed it matters much now anyway as I can't be bothered with the drive back or the hassle :roll: . (I have also named them :oops: ).

*rushes off to go try get some pics of the newbies*

Smashing the welsummer looks like a welsummer to me. The ears aren't necessarily a cross just a fault if you are showing, she's got a beautiful tail. I found my wyandottes feathers became more defined as they developed and changed feathers as teenagers. At 10 weeks they looked barred and fuzzy rather than pencilled, now they are beautiful :D

:think: just looked up about welsummer bantams and apparently they're supposed to have bright red combs, wattles and EAR LOBES! My new girls are white :shock: , the gold laced wyandotte bantam doesn't look like I expected she would either.

They are both lovely :D I think you are right about the Welsummer, they dont look like that, it looks like possibly there is some Dutch bantam in there somewhere, it wil probably lay white eggs looking at those earlobes. The Gold laced dotte looks ok, not very well marked but does look like a dotte

The problem is that many people buy birds or hatching eggs of a certain breed then breed from the offspring and pass those on. If they werent sold the right thing at the start and dont know enough about the breeds then they pass on poor or mixed examples. I recently saw some Leghorns being sold as Appenzellers :roll:

Still, lovely all the same :D

They are both lovely :D I think you are right about the Welsummer, they dont look like that, it looks like possibly there is some Dutch bantam in there somewhere, it wil probably lay white eggs looking at those earlobes.

Any egg colour will do :pray: , so far I've hade none from either :( .

One thing that does surprise me, is that I thought their poops might be smaller, boy was I wrong :shock::lol: .