A very sad day. Mr Fox took the birds and fed the cubs with them I guess. :x Try explaning that to a four year old - ahhhh. Good job they were magic chickens which had learnt to fly and that's why they aren't inthe garden any more....

There's a product on the market that emits a noise audible to vermin only, foxwatch it's called, - has anyone got one and are they any good?

Yes I've got one and I must say that when it actually had a working battery in it :roll::oops: I never saw a fox in the garden (although there were some footprints in the snow which I assume were foxes...not near the Eglu's though).......

......whereas this last couple of weeks I have spotted one first thing most mornings.....and I say to myself I must get another battery for the Foxwatch.

I think it works, but you have to be vigilant as well...I wouldn't rely on it completely.

Chockchick has one I'm sure.

Sorry to hear about your chickens.

What horrible news. I'm so sorry :( We seem to be hearing an awful lot about fox attacks don't we, it's just so sad.

Our next door neighbour put in a fox watch and it worked a treat. No foxes. The downside for us was that the noise upset the chickens and they stopped laying.

Were the hens free-ranging or in the run?

I have a foxwatch, on mains, after loosing a chicken last year (entirely my own stupid fault for letting them out when I wasn't watching).

I believe it works, but how can I be sure? I see foxes every morning in our paddocks, and they don't come near the chicken's house, which is on a corner of our yard, and have never seen a fox on the yard anyway, so can't say its the foxwatch that keeps them away.

Gina, the noise hasn't bothered my girls at all...

Sorry to hear about your loss.

Yes Clare I know i'm not on here that often I'm so busy, or that's my excuse anyway, I'm going to try To get to see a few of you this year. Anyway, to get back to the subject..... I have let a posting about my foxwatch on the "foxwatch" post of Hazel,s and hope this is of interest.

I understand that you can get a mains adapter for them, then you don't have to worry about the battery running out.

I'll look into that Claret, thanks.

The only snag is that he hens are at the bottom of a longish garden so I'd have to have miles of flex trailing everywhere.