fourfinches

Is it me, but...

OH has been out looking at cars today and came back with lots of info and brochures - I was amazed when looking at the info to find that lots of new cars don't have a spare wheel :shock: . Apparantly they have a puncture repair kit and if the damage is worse you have to phone up your roadside assistance company to fit a new tyre.

Maybe its just me but I wouldn't want to have to wait a couple of hours for someone to come to fix the car when I could do it myself (if I can get the wheel nuts off! :oops: ) If everyone is phoning for assistance to bring a spare won't we have to wait longer and I guess the cost will go up too.

Morag

A while back OH & I test drove a car and just like you Morag were shocked that it didnt have a spare wheel just this spray can of stuff you pumped into the wheel. :shock:

You would have thought if you were buying a new car with all whistles & bells it would have a spare wheel!

3. The front and back wheels are different sizes, so I'd have to carry two!!

Or if you're REALLY unlucky 2 of each size...

My car is so old that it DOES have a spare wheel, but I'd phone for assistance in all cases if I would have to fit it. :lol:

Mine doesn't have a spare for three reasons:

1: It would weigh the car down too much :roll:

2. There's no space to store one, and

3. The front and back wheels are different sizes, so I'd have to carry two!! :lol::lol:

What type of car do you have Annie? (It sounds slightly odd, and perhaps expensive!)

Mine doesn't have a spare for three reasons:

1: It would weigh the car down too much :roll:

2. There's no space to store one, and

3. The front and back wheels are different sizes, so I'd have to carry two!! :lol::lol:

What type of car do you have Annie? (It sounds slightly odd, and perhaps expensive!)

I think it is a Lotus, very 8)

As Louise said, avoid the spray foam like the plague. It's for true emergency use only (like you're stuck in the Highlands of Scotland a hundred miles from mobile phone reception) because it will mean you have to buy not just a new tyre but a new wheel as well.

Not supplying a spare wheel in any car except the smallest is just lame IMO (I accept that a Smart car might not have room for one!). The thin spare wheels that most cars have had for a couple of decades are perfectly fine for the purpose in the vast majority of cases.

Perhaps you could buy a spare wheel and strap it into your boot?

My Mini (Mortimer) came without a spare wheel. I realised this after a puncture! :shock: Just that gunk you put in the tyre and a number to call! I opted for the recovery. 'MINI assist' was there in 15 minutes and took me to the local garage! Would still prefer a spare though.

Lovely car Annie with or without a spare wheel........ :lol:

I was also suprised when i bought my new car not to have a spare the dealer told me that you can drive on them up to 50 MPH until you can get them repaired they are called Run Flat tyres............... :shock: