Stevie Adams

Are chickens scared of the colour orange?

I had an orange ball in my garden the other week and I kicked it and the girls went absolutely barmy! They were squawking for about 10 minutes. I put it down to them just not liking the ball being kicked but, today I went to the shed to get a bucket out and it was - you guessed it - ORANGE! :) I walked out of the shed again and they went absolutely bonkers. I've since tested it with a couple of other things and they definitely don't like it!

mine are scared of a yellow food ball that we put in their run to kick around...

they're scared of bark chipping bags

they're scared of washing up gloves

they're scared of bags of compost

they're scared of the lawnmower

they're scared of LOTS of things :lol:

I think that these days the new top hen, Troy, really isn't much of a leader so they tend to get into a panic relatively easier. This didn't happen under previous top hen, Kiki (a tough nut).

mine are scared of a yellow food ball that we put in their run to kick around...

they're scared of bark chipping bags

they're scared of washing up gloves

they're scared of bags of compost

they're scared of the lawnmower

they're scared of LOTS of things :lol:

ditto. chickens are wusses.

I like the idea of using orange things to keep the chickens away...I might try that to keep them off our decking! Ours definately do respond to colour, Ive noticed ours love green and red things (they will peck my red painted nails given the chance!) when I have given them leftover veg they will pick out the greens and any potatoes but they never touch the carrots!

Rachel