Seagazer

Good kitten/cat food - which to choose?*Photo update*

As some of you know we lost our lovely Dave last month. Whilst we've been away we've been looking for a kitten. We've found one we like and we seem, somehow, to be picking him and a sister up tonight!! As you do..... :roll:

Anyhoo, our elderly cat is on IAMS and I have nothing against it but just wondered if there were any good suggestions from everyone else. I was at PAH today and there is a staggering amount of food out there, HIlls, Science etc. Cookie is fed on Burns and she's really fit and well. I know they do kitten food but I can't always buy the dog food easily and feel that the cat food will be harder to get.

The kittens are on Go-Kat at the moment apparently. Anybody got any thoughts on a good food? :D

And here they are, 3 quick photos. Toby is very settled and hissing and growling at Cookie and Sophie and Lottie is sleeping under the television at the moment. We are in love! :D

IMG_06552.jpg

This is Toby - more adventurous.

IMG_0656.jpg

Lottie - so sweet.

IMG_0651.jpg

Both of them having just arrived at home.

Edited by Guest

mine are on a mix of James Wellbeloved and Royal Canin, depending on when my delivery arrives from work; then sometimes IAMS if I run out. I only feed dried (because their food is upstairs, away from the dog :lol: ). always plenty of fresh water available.

in terms of what they like most - def Royal Canin, whichever type I feed they CLEARLY prefer it. Wellbeloved is OK but they are not mad on IAMS... very occasionally I will give them a pouch food but they dont like it much, and they are not mad on s"Ooops, word censored!"s either (unless its Salem and she can eat off my plate :x )

but to be honest I think as long as you go for a better quality food (which tends not to be those in the supermarket with the exception of IAMS) and the cat likes it you'll do ok. at this stage I would transfer them gradually (over 7-10 days) from the Go Cat (which is not a good product) onto a specific kitten diet, and then when they are 12 months old make the same transition to an adult food.

new kittens, awwww! you know we will be pestering for photos dont you? :D

my furry critter eats Tescos own sachets...i try her on lot of stuff, felix, whiskers, go cat, you name it... but its what she likes :roll::lol:

she is about 12 we think and the v.e.t. said that what ever she was eating must suit her cos her coat is lovely and silky, which is unusual for a cat of her age :D apparently they go wiry as they get older :D

kittens :D:D obviously only come in 2's, its silly to get individual ones, :lol:

oh, photos??

cathy

x

kittens :D:D obviously only come in 2's, its silly to get individual ones, :lol:

:lol: So true!

I feed my cats on Iams, because it's affordable/easy to get hold of. I haven't tried the other makes, I used to have a cat on Hills Science stuff years ago and it was fabulously expensive as I recall, but if I was feeding just dried food I would not feed Go-Cat.

I have moved completely away from tinned/pouch catfood, they used to eat far too much if it was available, and it was very often regurgitated by one cat who eats too fast. They seem healthy and happy, although they do go mad if I'm cooking meat or fish.

Thanks everyone, I was quite happy with the IAMS but wasn't sure about the kitten food bit - been a few years since Dave was a kitten. :( Mine only every had Go-kat if I'd run out and it was the only dried food in the corner shop.

Photos will of course follow later. We are looking at (YS says picking up :wink::lol: ) the kittens tonight. I feel really, really nervous. I don't know whether its the pair thing or just how they will all get on with Sophie (old grumpy cat) or with Cookie. I've never had two kittens at once so that's probably what I'm worried about more.

My house now looks like PAH - I have a cat tree/scratch thing with 3 stages and a cubby box thing. It came when we were away and ES put it up - funny how when you measure how big things are going to be with a tape measure, when you get the actual object its sooooooo much bigger :shock: We have a toy like a hamster tube with a ball in it, various toys, collars, bowls etc.

We felt funny about using Dave's bed for the kitties so we've bought a new bed, we have another one upstairs that YS wants in his room to have 'his' kitten in. I'm undecided what to do with Dave's bed as we will need another bed for when the kitties are bigger - they may not even want to share one bed.

Phew! I just hope we like the kitties (ok I know that's a silly comment as who can resist a kitten?) :lol:

Two kittens are fab! Mine are fed on Hills dried kitten food which they love.

So glad to hear about your new bundles of fluff, how old are they? My only problem is my 4-month old boy has been trying to get jiggy :oops: with his sister so we can't leave them unattended. I now have a large dog crate in my Utility room for the hormonal one until he is big enough to see the vet.

Two kittens are the best, they play together for ages and when they're tired they just flop on top of each other.

Thank you, they are 11 weeks old. Wow 4 months is quite early to be hmmmm that friendly!! I shall keep my eye on my pair.

When I was first married I bought a girl kitten and then a boy a month later. They did it when he was 5 months so I know we are going to have to be vigilant.

Sounds like you've got their food sorted now but I just wanted to say they are so cute :D

Our 2 cats Mellow 16 and Chloe 6 are so pernickety about food they just let us know every now and then that they are bored with a brand and we try them with something else :roll:

I was very sorry to read about Dave but it looks like you will be having some fun times ahead with these two :wink:

Lisa P

Ooh gorgeous!!! Like others have said kittens should always come in pairs. My girls are fed mainly on Royal Canin veterinary diet kitten food from the vets, now moved onto their neutered yound female. The boys are on the mature version of the same thing which looks the same in the hope it'll stop them eating the kitten food. The girls also share a Felix as good as it looks pouch each morning and evening. I sometimes give them Iams, James Wellbeloved and Hills so they don't become daddy eaters.

Mine have a Felix pouch in the morning sometimes followed by another in the middle of the day if Ziggy is having an eating day. Scamp is greedy so i don't like leaving food around. they then have iams at supper time or sometimes Purina One depending on which is on offer at the time. I don't feed mine on triangular biscuits because they don't eat the corners and make a right mess :roll::lol:

Lovely news about the kitties, definately come in pairs :wink:

We love the way they play together and then cuddle up and have a little snooze. I can definitely see why people get two kittens at once. Lottie is starting to become a bit more friendly and not hiding away when we go into the room. They are still scared of the dog, although Toby was very brave and stalked past her last night very gingerly (excuse the pun :wink::lol: )

It was great last night when the kids (2 are adults) went to bed. We left Cookie outside the room and they both came out and played and Lottie let me pick her up and give her a cuddle. The kids are so keen on the kittens playing and doing things that I think they forget to just let them 'be'.

I have 4 cats. Saria is 15, bella & Ashling are a year & Edward is 1 too. Because of this, I feed them all on adult Iams as they all nick each others food. I like to leave the food out so that they can graze on it. It got silly when Edward was stealing Saria's senior food so it's easier this way for me!

morecats disease - similar to morehens. Mine are mature kitties - I feed Hill Science and I think they do a kitten one. I hate tinned cat food - stink makes me :vom: gag. They are cutieeeeees. Why do baby animals bring out the babies in us - must stop talking like a 4 year old. :wink: Lovely - I am glad you found a couple kittens to counter your loss.