chickencam

Fashionable cats?

I read an article over the weekend saying that black and white cats are very unfashionable now and there are many needing homes. The cats protection have more b&W than any other colour. Tabbies, torties and fancy breeds are much more popular.

I have a tabby and a b&w who is a real tuxedo cat and very handsome. I want to big up black & white cats.

2008_1209scampchristmas0004.jpg

Not the best photo but the best i could find of her showing of her best tuxedo :D

My local cats protection is overflowing with black and whites, I would take a couple on but my current moggins is very precious about being the only cat in the house - he never got on with my other cat before she passed, and he just about abides the chickens. He's a mummy's boy.

I want more kitties!

I can't believe people choose cats just based on their colour! :shock:

I have got a tabby, and he's a very handsome boy, but he came to me because of his character rather than his coat. He's the first tabby I've ever owned, in fact. Claudette is extremely cute (and vicious, but you wouldn't know that from photos! :lol: ), but she was chosen because of her need, not mine.

I love black-and-white cats, I've had a few in the past, including a lovely friendly one called Domino which we thought was such an original name when we chose it! I can't post photos as I'm at work, but I'll try and put up one of Claudette later.

I really don't understand some people and their funny dislikes of certain colour animals. We have a black and white cat called Jasper he is nine and miserable old so and so but we love him all the same, and we have an all black cat called Bert he is my little black witches cat as i affectionately call him, he can be a little aloof at times but does love a good stroke on his terms. One of our local rescues were appealing for people to consider re-homing a black or black and white cat as they had so many of them.

Yes unfortunatly its prodomontantly black and white cats which end up in rescue centres, i dont think its because they are unfashionable i think its because there are so many black and white cats around which arent being neutered (no to say others arent) that the litter that those cats will be definatly black and white kittens, and then people get the cats and then soon decide they cannot care for them.

Also i think in rescue centres the big problem is that with so many black and white cats in, they all look the same but if there is one cat for example tabby or tortie in which looks totally different it will get snapped up straight away.

Also its not only black and white cats which are left, but unfortunatly there are alot of older cats in say about 7+ which really get looked over, which is a real shame as some of them have lovely characters, and they have better characters than the younger cats, and you know they really want a home, but "Ooops, word censored!"ody will take them, as they want a younger cat which will live longer.

Our second cat, Oscar, was black and white and he was a cutie, a real snuggle bunny and of course Dave was black/brown. We only had Toby our ginger one as YS has always wanted a ginger cat. We also always have a tabby cat but we have had tortoiseshells too, once before and one now :D

We did see a wanted ad on gumtree who wanted a ginger cat, no white patches and no stripes or markings. Did make me wonder why they were so fussy. :roll:

Personally, I think the idea of preferring a cat's markings and colourings isn't exactly new, it's like having preferences for breeds - my moggins is pure black and very small for his age, he was the runt of his litter - but Jelly chose me, and I wouldn't have chosen another one for aesthetic reasons, I wanted the one that jumped on my back and snuggled on my shoulder. Regardless of what he looked like.

Yes, we DEFINITELY have this problem with black greyhounds - any and every other colour goes before black, such a shame to "judge a book by its cover", it's what's inside that counts? Very sad, for all the cats, dogs (and some of us people :oops: ) who don't get chosen 'cos we don't have picture perfect looks ... (not that there's anything wrong with being black or black and white ... every pet I've ever owned, apart from my chooks has been black or black and white) 8)

I suppose it comes down to common prejudice ( I struggled to even spell it) :(

We have largely monocrome pets at the moment, our new hens were all shades of largely black & white, then we have Scamp in her tux and even Ziggy our Tabby is a very dark tabby with a lot of black fur, she is Scamps sister and in certain lights you can see stripes on scamp's head. :D

I can't believe people choose cats just based on their colour! :shock:

They get rid of them because of their colour too :roll: My branch of Cats Protection took two into care because they didn't match their owners new decor. A true story :shock:

My first ever cat was a black and white tuxedo cat who we named Ezzie. He was a rescue, came to me aged 4 and lived to the grand old age of 18. All of my other cats have been ex-fosters, I've never had the choice of colour :lol: The majority have been tabby. Our latest addition is Nancy who I hand reared. After changing colour a few times I think she's now decided on being black :lol:

cats are irresistible, whatever their colour! out of the 7 cats we have owned, 5 have been black or b&w. (other 2 were tabby/tabby & white).

our current lot are:

Salem, semi-longhaired, all black with 3 white hairs on her chest, 10 yrs old and queen bee

Sootie, shorthaired, completely black all over (apparently this is quite rare?), 2 yrs old. also known as Stealth Kitty.

Stanley, shorthaired, black with white paws, white 'bikini' marks on his tum, and a little white 'bow tie' marking on his nose. also known as Fat Stan or Stanley Manly. he and Sootie are brothers.

I would love a ginger cat tho, as have 2 red-headed children and a fox-red lab!!

To put another slant on things....

I wouldn't want another spotty/stripey chap after losing Chilli,nor a female tortie and white after Pip.

Cats aren't that long lived,and there aren't that many colours,so this may be part of the problem for black & whites...the more there are,the more memories of cats past there are.

I did have a gorgeous long haired black cat with white whiskers called Spooky,but would prefer a cat with more white than black should I go cat-shopping again.

To put another slant on things....

I wouldn't want another spotty/stripey chap after losing Chilli,nor a female tortie and white after Pip.

Cats aren't that long lived,and there aren't that many colours,so this may be part of the problem for black & whites...the more there are,the more memories of cats past there are.

I did have a gorgeous long haired black cat with white whiskers called Spooky,but would prefer a cat with more white than black should I go cat-shopping again.

I agree. After we lost our lovely Ollie at the beginning of this year, I said I never want a ginger cat again. I think I'd worry about comparing it to him which is not fair. When we were looking at Cats Protection League earlier this year when we got Gizmo, there were an awful lot of black and white cats. One reason we didn't go for one is they looked a bit too much like Yo-Yo.

We, well, I say we, I and hubby is going along with it, have decided our next cats after these two will be a pair of Main Coon kittens. I blame Omletina :wink: