Marinah0

Missing Girl - should I assume the worst?

I went out to tuck my girls in about 19:30 and found only Vanessa my warren in the cube. Eggy my White Sussex bantam was no where to be seen. She is so timid, she's never even let me stroke her and prefers to stay in the fenced off chicken area rather than venture out into the rest of the garden... Should I assume a fox has taken her? I can't find any blood but she was moulting so there are feathers everywhere anyway. I've been working from home today so I'm sure I'd have heard her alarm call (although perhaps the wind masked it). Feeling really guilty and not sure whether to tell the kids or replace her secretly :(

Or she may have found a way out and not found her way back - voice of experience here :doh: . Have you had a walk round this morning shaking the corn tin (or something else she'll recognise and want)? My escapees would always come running for corn and I then had the challenge of getting them back over the fence and finding where the hole was to block it off.

Here's hoping you find Eggy safe and sound this morning :pray:

Thanks for all your tips. Ive had a thorough search again this morning and she is no where to be seen, tried the corn trick and nothing. I think we will have to tell the kids she is gone. Now we have the problem of Vanessa being alone, she is already looking bereft without her little eggy shadow.

Very sorry that Eggy has not turned up this morning. It is possible that she may still do so, but sadly I think you had better work on the assumption that she may not reappear. Vanessa will need a little friend or friends in the not too distant future if Eggy does not come back.

Been out this evening to tuck my solo girl Vanessa in (and wish her luck with the planned intro to 4 new friends arriving tomorrow) and found her dead by fox. I feel awful, I'd Installed fox watch and only let her free range while we were in the garden. I am so cross with myself for not putting her back in the run while I bathed the kids. Now I'm questioning whether to pick up the new chickens tomorrow as they will be confined to the 3m cube run while I order and install a WIR. Would that be cruel and make pecking order issues worse?