The Dogmother

If I did not have lurchers....

Well, the original is about greyhounds, but the same principal applies, although I don't allow mine on the furniture.

If I Did Not Have Greyhounds..............

1. I could walk around my yard barefoot in safety.

2. My house could be carpeted instead of tiled and laminated.

3. All flat surfaces, clothing, furniture, and cars would be free of dog hair.

4. When the doorbell rings, it wouldn't sound like the NCDL kennels.

5. When the doorbell rings, I could get to the door without wading through dog bodies who beat me there.

6. I could sit on the couch the way I wanted, without taking into consideration how much space several fur bodies would need to get comfortable.

7. I would not have strange presents under my Christmas tree-like dog bones, stuffed animals or have to answer to people why I wrap them.

8. I would not be on a first name basis with three vets.

9. The most used words in my vocabulary would not be: "out", "sit", "down","come", "no", "stay", and "leave him/her/it ALONE".

10. My house would not be cordoned off into zones with baby gates or barriers.

11. My pockets would not contain things like poo bags, dog treats and an extra leash.

12. I would no longer have to spell the words B-A-L-L or F-R-I-S-B-E- E or W-A-L-K or C-O-O-K-I-E-S.

13. I would not have as many leaves INSIDE my house as outside.

14. I would not look strangely at people who think having their ONE dog ties them down too much.

15. I'd look forward to Spring and the melting of the snow instead of dreading "mud season".

16. I would not have to answer the question "Why do I have so many dogs?" from people who will never have the joy in their life of knowing they are loved unconditionally by something as close to an angel as they will ever get.

17. How empty my life would be....

The warm feeling of a double bagged, in yr pocket, because there is no bin for a forseable distance....

Furniture in one piece.

A car that is clean on the inside, no sand/mud/dog nose prints..

Soggy tennis balls in pocket.

Mud. Everywhere

The fresh feeling the human facial skin gets when it's raining hard, sideways, but something still wants to go for a walk!!

Snoring. (loudly, at 5am)

Love her to bits, and hate having to go to work and leaving her with OH( he does look after her, but not like i do!!)

sounds like my house and that's before no. 3 arrives tomorrow

lassie and lady are getting a big brother

very steady boy hope his manners rub off on they girls ( they are very good really ! )bin racking ,bread nicking

going to have to cat train and toiltet train again

mags

i have 2 18 month old greyhounds - got them from the rescuce last December after my darling lakeland Jess passed on in November from bladder cancer

Tonight I am getting a retired racer boy 4 years old Imperial Boss- made the mistake of saying we would like a boy when at the kennels giving the girls a run their runs

must be mad but they are wonderful dogs :D:D

Fife Greyhound rescuce are great and very supportive

mags

My parent's have a greyhound called Leo, he is their second.... but won't be the last I'm sure :)

They are lovely dogs, very affectionate and funny... but also hard work at times! They certainly won't do anything they don't want to will they!

We got Leo as a 10 week old puppy from a racing kennels, it was lovely having him from so young. We had rescued another male called Flynn (sadly passed away now), becauce he had broken one of his back legs when training, poor thing :( - but he had a much happier life with us than he would of racing!

Flynn was very naughty :) he was OBSESSED with food (any food!) Probably due to his time spent in kennels. We were aware of this and hid/locked anything edible away from him, although he often still managed to find a treat; including entire multi-packs of crisps, that he very carefully opened each packet of- it was a funny sight when we returned from school/work!

Of course anything on the work surface was easy pickings for a greyhound, he had numerous dinners, my birthday cake once :roll: . And when staying at my grandparents (when we were on holiday,) a whole punnet of kiwi fruits, a catering size tub of butter (my Granny was making my Aunty's wedding cake at the time) which didn't go down well when Grandad was clearing up prize lawn! :lol: And a corner of an antique table :oops: They didn't fancy having him stay again!

Flynn also used to run away frequently- when on walks, he'd be off if he saw anything in the distance; or if you left a gap when opening the door :x

I remember a camping holiday once (he holidayed with us after his stay at the Grandparents!) where my borther and I had Flynn in the tent with us, (my parents in the campervan) Flynn somehow escaped the tent, I woke up in the middle of the night & ran around the campsite searching for him... only to find him chasing rabbits! I eventually got him back when he had a lapse of attention, engrossed in the delights of the bins! :lol:

I think the main reason our family love greyhounds is their cheeky personalities, although they can be very testing at times!

Edited by Guest