Being a very happy cube owner i wouldnt think i would be asking this question but....

classic

or

go?

you may have seen a a couple of my threads, agnes one of my ex batts has a dodgy hip after much diecussion with OH weve decided to buy a go/classic.

I prefer the look of the classic but to be honest i cant really afford the expense of another eglu let alone the space. Luckily my parents have said they will pay a large chunk towards it for christmas.

Any pros and cons of both would be very welcome :)

I only have a (purple eglu) and a (cube purple) no Go but I did look at one when we visited the Omlet shop. We came away with the opinion that we would not buy a Go if we needed more space.

I love the (purple eglu) I would get another one of those.

How about a second hand one, we bought a second (purple eglu) that was second hand, it was a guinnea pig one and we then bought a conversion kit to make it into a chicken one. It was good value.

Chrissie

Thanks Chrissie, I have been looking at second hand ones, I want a green one to match my cube, a lot of them quite far away, although i dont mond travelling. I dont want a MkI with the wooden perches. I am looking at putting silkies in with agnes. Not sure if just to get two or three? I am thinking two?

I have both, and would definitely choose the Classic over the Go. It is a better quality product than the Go and is much easier to use and take apart for cleaning purposes.

The only advantage of the Go is that the nest box and roosting bars are all in one piece, and can be removed completely for cleaning.

If it was me I'd get a second hand classic, either the Rablu or Eglu, if the Eglu remove the roosting bars and add a nice layer of bedding for the chooks to nestle in at night, roosting slats may aggravate leg problems. if the bedding is nice and deep then the nestbox should be easy to get in and out of too

Like you I have a (cube green) but wanted a (green eglu) or !gogreen! to house ex-batts. I oppted for the !gogreen! as they were on special at Omlet and worked out to be the same price as a second hand (green eglu) . I do think they are a little over priced and not nearly as well made as my (cube green) saying that my old girls are quite happy to use the nesting box rather than bother to climb the ladder to lay. :roll: When it starts to get dark however they all return to their correct homes. :lol:

Interesting question. I have both a classic (bought second hand, beaten up in shipping and still withstood the mishandling of the shipping problems to be in good shape) and a GO.

There are advantages & disadvantages to each.

Classic: I think the styling of the classic is more appealing because of the rounded edges. Pulling out the droppings tray is easier, and getting the eggs is simpler in the egg port, however, cleaning out the nest box is more difficult. (maybe I'm not doing it correctly). If you get two sets of roosting bars, then you can replace soiled ones when you are cleaning. It would be more costly to extend the run. It is more simple to assemble to move long distances. There are conversion kits for the Classic.

Eglu Go: The GO gives you complete access to the interior without lifting the top off, and I think it is more spaceous inside for the chickens....... It is a little easier to clean because the entire bottom slides out. A little more difficult to reach eggs because you have to slide out the entire bottom. Sometimes when I move it around and the ground is not level it is difficult to get the back door to open. Extending the run only requires one part not an A and B extension. I think that I stripped the two little screws in the back---because now I cannot disassemble my Go.

Thank you for all comments they have been very useful :)

I decided on the classic in the end and collected it end of last week.

I have a matching pair

classicandcube.jpg

I do like the classic, it looks very neat next to the cube and silkies have sussed the drill!

all chickens have been going in their own houses at bed time which is a blessing.

I will report on my thoughts of the classic when i have had it a bit longer and have cleaned it a few times.