migsy

Does anyone else have a "least favourite" hen?

I've got this Speckeldy. She was one of my first hens. Two lovely hens have been and passed since I got her and I have 7 in total at the moment. She is my least favourite because she is always broody, lays really small eggs, is impossible to catch, not friendly and to top it all I've just seen her treading one of my ex batts! :twisted:

Sorry, but she is my least favourite of all the hens I have ever had. :notalk:

Skye, my skyline, she was bad when she wasn't in lay, she has a horrendous squawky voice, not like the sweet cooing and purring the other girls have, and it really grates the more she does it (which is almost continuously) and since she came into lay she bullies all of my other girls terribly, and tries to mount them :roll: she claws and steps on their backs when they squat to submit.

The only redeeming feature is that she lays green eggs. That novelty will wear off soon though!

And my OH keeps telling me to get rid of her. Hahahaha.

I have three!

Marigold, Lily and Daisy - ranger, whitestar and columbine. I got them this time last year and they are real hooligans! Marigold the ranger has taken on the flighty traits of the other two, they pluck each others feathers, especially when dustbathing, are not at all friendly, and terrorise the dogs and the banty's. I was worried about adding new hens to them this year, but they are fine with the newbies (after the usual introductions). And the new girls are proving to be every bit as friendly as 'normal' hens - it's so nice to have friendly hens again, who like being picked up for cuddles, and who don't shriek at me in disgust every time I look at them :roll: At least the hooligans are good layers - it's the only thing they have going for them at the moment! :twisted:

I don't have favourites or least favourites but my OH definitely doesn't like Elun, my CLB x Marans. She IS extremely dopey, very scared of everything and everybody, and difficult to catch. BUT she is beautiful. Wwhen you catch her, she is happy to be cuddled and she lays the most amazing khaki coloured eggs, and her antics, due to her intellectual difficulties, are really quite amusing too. She's just always on the edge of anything going on, not right in the thick of it, but she is bottom chook of all 9 including the bantams. I love her to bits, but OH hasn't bonded with her.

Yep, I have Abigail, shes a bluebell and I can't stand her :anxious:

She hates attention, screams at the slightest thing (you dare open the nest box when she's laying and she screams the place down for a good ten minutes :roll: ), is a big bully and also treds the ex batts at times.

I have often said, if she wasn't such a good layer she'd be in the pot :oops:

Yes, Elsie, ginger minger :lol: Is the top chook since my old Annie died and could give dear old Gaddaffi a run for his money in the dictator stakes. I can't stand bullies, and Elsie pecking a hole in the back of my fave gold laced orp only weeks after she had recovered from a serious dog mauling got right up my nose and therefore has resulted in the isolation pen :notalk: . All 9 girls FR happily together as there are lots of places to hide in the garden, but in the day, when we are at work, she is separated from them - can't trust her vicious nature. She has already learned that it is no good going to bed in the coop with the others as she gets a rude awakening when we move her from there to the eglu 8) . Am sure if she wasn't named after my dear departed great grandma that I would have found another home for her by now. :shock:

My bluebelle is the unfriendliest and is extremely difficult to pick up. Although she does have the nicest face out of all my hens (sorry girls!).

All my chickens have got good and bad traits in them (and I'm sure everyone else's do as well!), but it all evens out in the end :) .

Oh, I like my rhode rock and suffolk pied best as they're both really funny and easy to cuddle. And my light sussex hybrid and bluebelle as I love their feathering and faces. And my rescued hen as she always stays with us and is really quite sweet. :lol:

My Little Miss Nasty is Pom our araucana. She is soooooo pecky. Pecks the sablepoot but is scared of the pekin who stands up to her. As others have said her only redeeming feature is her gorgeous blue eggs. There have been moments when I have been close to rehoming her but can't quite bring myself to do it. She sleeps under our faverolle & have been together since they were tiny. She is almost three & I keep hoping she will stop behaving like a toddler :D

Maybel wasnt my least favourite but she was an absolute loon until she started laying. Totally bonkers she would chase the blackbirds around the garden. They way she used to run about i am sure she was on pills or steriods :P

I am very protective over agnes though, any of the other bullies touch her and they are thrown off her and very stern words are spoken!

My least favourite was a black Silkie who was big and gauky, had hardly any pom pom at all, hated being picked up, and always ran away from me. I gave her away during the summer with another of my hens, to someone who lives nearby. OH says I was mean and just didn't like her because she wasn't pretty . . . I still feel a rather uncomfortable about it :oops:

Yes I have a least favourite too. Henrietta Peck my partridge bantam Wynadotte lives up to her name! She's such a misery! She always seems very haughty although she is at the bottom of the pecking order. Head hen Pippin pecks her so she pecks me :roll:

Snap! Dot my partridge bantam Wyandotte is my least favourite, the prettiest but the most unfriendly, hardest to handle, and she pecks too! Must go with the breed!