Guest louisewomble

Well - I did it! Deposit put on puppy!

After years of deliberation, talking myself out of it, ending up with Chickens instead (and I love them). I have finally gone and put a deposit on a puppy!

He is 6 weeks old and is a Yorkie x Chihauhau. He's absolutely gorgeous and just a bit fluffy at the moment, and black and tan. But that can all change - he is likely to be more of a Yorkie and his colour will change. His mum is gorgeous, lovely and friendly and happy for me to pick her pups up. He is off to the vet next week for his first injection and a good check-over and then one more week and he'll be ours!

And no!.......no photos yet as I forgot to take any in my excitement! :wall:

Olly - I am not telling him just yet! We have 2 weeks to wait and that is just too long for him! The pup goes for his vet check etc next week and I may tell him after that - with just a week to go he can have a little build up and a count down to D-day!

Very excited!

I am sure one day the time will be right for you to have a little doggy - he would just love your garden! I have all the training and introducing to chickens to come - but am sure it will be fine and that we'll have many happy years together to look forward to! If he is as lovely as his mum - I will be very happy indeed!

Congratulations, you must be really excited, look forward to seeing photos, she sounds soooo cute. :)

I have a little yorkie who is now 8 and is a real sweetheart. From day one we went to the forest as I meet lots of people with larger dogs and now Molly doesn't think she is a little dog!

I could kick myself that I forgot to take a photo!!!!

Fabulous, how exciting! Puppies are hard work, but a lot of fun - I bet you can't wait to bring him home! :D

Can't believe you forgot to take your camera though, you know how we love to see photos on here! :lol:

Hopefully he'll get on fine with your chickens too, it should be a lot easier as he's a pup, he'll probably be terrified of them when he first meets them!

I have some reading up to do now! I want to do this right! I went for a puppy for two reasons, one so that I can train him to be good with the chickens and two so that he can bond well with my son from the word go. The dog is ultimately for Harry and just know they are going to be unseparable! I need to do a little shopping today - little being the word as I need to find the smallest harness I can!

Am excited and scared - which is probably a good thing as this is a big commitment! Am debating if I should tell Harry next week, we drive past the pup on a wednesday on the way to riding and that would make it a week to go. It would be nice to give HArry a bit of a build up and some fore warning - but wonder if a week is too much! I was thinking of paying the pup a visit next week so they could meet! What do you think?

You know him best - I think I'd find it hard not to tell him, knowing how much pleasure he would get out of the anticipation. On the other hand - it would be a wonderful surprise if he didn't know until the day!

Do you think that a visit might defuse a bit of over-excitement, or would it just ramp things up? :lol: Also, if you let on about the puppy, would that be a chance for you to discuss the rules with him (e.g. training, not allowed on beds, where it's going to sleep etc) and stress how important it is that you are giving the pup a consistent approach? Once it arrives, he is not going to be listening to you or anyone else for a while!

Awww! Congrats!!!

As a retired Cavalier breeder, can I suggest that you do make the mid-week visit and prepare your son for the new arrival, ground rules need to be laid out in advance here, I.E not allowed on furniture etc, etc, as Olly has correctly said your son will be far too excited when puppy arrives to really be listening to what you are telling him! :wink: This way you all have to time to plan and consider things?

We had 2 new kittens just before Christmas and despite everything done to prepare for their arrival my youngest daughter, whom is mildy autistic, wanted me to sell them on again after just 1 day as they weren't her "best friends" yet and ran away from her, this was after many visits to the kittens before we brought them home, in the end she realised that if she just let them be themselves then they would come to her for fuss etc...

An exciting and rewarding time ahead of you...Enjoy!!!

I agree about the visit, perhaps get the breeder on-side so that they can tell your lad about the puppy's needs. Smallsters get so excited when new animals arrive, so it's important that he understands that the pup will need its own space and time for peace and quiet.... crate training is good for this; I used to pop Ruby in her crate with a blanket over the top and this was the sign that she wasn't to be disturbed. She always saw her crate as a safe haven if I had visitors or children around.

Thanks guys! I really apprieciate your views!

I think I will pay a visit next week, pup is off to the vets on tues for 1st jab and check etc, so will check he is ok to visit on wed's night. Harry will be ecstatic! he has wanted a pup for as long as I can remember. Olly - when we came to you to buy your Eglu - it was instead of a pup! But soo glad we have chickens too.

I have been buying bits and bobs, crate, snuggle pad, leads, harness, bowls, etc in readiness and they are hidden about the place! Once Harry has met him, we will go out and get a final few bits and start getting things ready.

I have been reading "Puppies for Dummies" and will go through some ground rules with Harry before the pup arrives. I am determined to have a calm, well trained dog! I have looked after many over the years and some where nightmares - jumping and pulling and ruling the roost! Not for me thanks - that's not good for the owner or the dog!

This pup is going to be loved - but know it's place!

Oh how exciting, congratulations :dance:

Your son is going to be so thrilled, id tell him and take him on the visit, its so exciting to be able to go shopping for doggy things and for him to tell his friends too, it would be a shame for him to miss out on the build up and like you said, a good time for laying down ground rules too.

I cant wait to see piccies of your new little pupster :clap:

This pup is going to be loved - but know it's place!

Completely the right attitude to have, it will make for both happier dog and owners.

Can't wait to see some photos of your pup, have you chosen a name yet or are you going to let your son name him?

No name yet - I want HArry to name him - but it has to be a good name - his cuddlies and Hamsters all have cutsie names !

If you're getting bits and bobs, then you might want to invest in The Perfect Puppy by Gwen Bailey; lots of breeders and trainers recommend it for first time owners.

Thankyou! - i'll check out Amazon!

Best retain a veto vote on that name... whenever I've let Rosie name a pet we've had the daftest names.. it all starts innocently enough with things like Spot or Whitey, but we ended up with two rabbits called Cupcake and Hunny Bunny :roll: It gets interesting when they go to the vet for their boosters... the vet stick his head out of the door, looks at me and says 'hunny bunny?' :roll: