jacquie879

Bright yellow watery poo = Dead chicken Winnie.

I've had a dreadful two days, I had to have one of my chickens (Miranda) put down yesterday morning, she was one of my first hens (believed tumor & secondary problems with her crop) it was a hideous experience. I then had to go to the vet yesterday afternoon with another hen (Winnie) who had watery, yellow poo , it looked like a yolk colour but not the texture, she wasn't interested in food, not even meal worms and was very down in the dumps. The vet gave her antibiotics but she died last night. The vet hadn't seen this problem before. She stated that Winnie had a lot of fluid in her abdomen??? or something like that and mentioned e-coli.

She was a White Sussex, wormed in December, wasn't egg bound, she was about a year old but had never been a layer in fact it was quite rare to even see her in the egg laying part of the cube.

I cleaned the cube out yesterday afternoon and there was yellow poo/substance in there too, so she must have had this problem for a couple of days as it wasn't there when I cleaned it out on Saturday.

Has anyone come across this sort of problem before? All the rest of my hens seem fine.

Jacquie

Very sorry for your losses, it's very hard to lose two so close together.

Sounds as if she had peritonitis of some sort.

I agree. The demeanour, loss of appetite, fluidy abdomen and yolky droppings all suggest peritonitis to me. Is your vet a chicken vet? Peritonitis is not uncommon and I would have thought most vets would be aware of it. Having said that, if it was peritonitis, despite the antibiotics, Winnie probably wouldn't have pulled through. Some do but many don't sadly :(

Very sorry. Sleep tight Miranda and Winnie.