cloud

Do we have a dangerous garden?

Having let our hens roam around the garden for the first time today I've just read the section on the FAQ that lists poisonous plants and I realise we have a garden full of them. The boarders are full of daffodils and tulips, ivy in several places, the grass is full of clover, and we have foxgloves, ferns, Rhubarb elsewhere.

The FAQ says "Most chickens know what not to eat...", so they are okay, right? Or does that mean 49% chickens don't and so will be poisoned?

I'm thinking they are probably okay and it's my paranoia kicking in, but is there anything I need to be really careful about? Do I need to rope of the Rhubarb and foxgloves, for example? And what about the potatoes later in the year. I was planning to rope the veg patch off anyway, but how much should I worry about this?

Don't worry. I would definitely rope off the rhubarb and the vegetable patch if you ever want to harvest anything! They don't tend to eat poisonous stuff, and even when they do (rhubarb in my case) it seemed to have no effect on them.

Tulips, daffs etc - no problem.

my lot stripped the rhubarb to the point that I don't think it'll grow back the 2 clumps of daffs I've got trying to grow just get tramppled every time the mob get to FR as for a veg patch that can work but you need to chicken proof it with a 'safe zone' twice the distance you think is big enough between the fence and the plants chicken necks reach farther than yoy think when tasty snacks are on offer

Excellent picture ANH :lol:

Keeping an eye on our girls. They peck at everything but nothing seems to be getting undue attention. We're keeping them well away from the veg patch, but I can see we need to put some serious thoughts to gating off the area.