the-marks

Bleeding scales - is it scaly leg mite?

Hi all

I noticed today that one of my girls had 3 or 4 'discoloured' scales on her legs. When I looked closer at these and touched them, they started to bleed very slightly. I've read around the forum today regarding scaly leg mites (my initial impression) and the scales don't necessarily looked raised at all. Could this still be scaly leg mite?

I've smothered her legs in sudocream and will get some scaly leg spray tomorrow. In herself, she seems well - laying and as vocal as ever!

Any advice would be really appreciated.

That's right, Vaseline has a mechanical action and will smother the mites. Sudocrem contains benzyl benzoate which is a pesticide (bizarre as it's a nappy rash cream) so it helps to kill off the mites and the disinfecting properties of the cream help to prevent any infections under the scales. Legs and feet are hard to keep clean in poultry.

I use it for all sorts of stuff :D wonderful product.

My chicken has scaly leg so I've used scaly legs spray 2x week for 2 weeks and I've noticed a big difference. I also have been smothering with Vaseline once a week. I noticed that now it's clearing up the very bottom layer is peeling the skin off which is bleeding. Any comments on this subject?