NouveauChick

Tips on letting our cats out after moving house...

Hello all!

We have just brought our first house, and all unpacked/settled in now... just need to get the cats sorted!

We've been moved in for over two weeks now, and I am hoping to let our two cats out on Friday (I thought the long weekend at home would be a good time!) They are both very settled in the house, but are itching to get out.... not to mention driving me slightly mad thundering through the house!

Does anyone have any tips on if this is a long enough time to have kept them in for, or any other tips on ensuring they come back? I'm not planning on feeding them in the morning before I let them out, and was thinking of putting their litter around the garden to start marking their territory.

Thanks to any responses in advance :)

Definitely let them out when they are hungry.

I usually go out in the garden with my cats the first time, but sooner or later they will take off over the fence and leave you worrying! In my experience, the first time they will be gone for hours - it's because they are exploring the extent of their territory, and that takes time. Don't worry, they will be back and future expeditions will be shorter. Two weeks sounds like plenty of time for them to know where home is, and where they get fed.

Hi,

I've moved with cats a few times and have found two to three weeks has been fine and not feeding them before hand is a good idea. Try not to worry if they don't come back for a while, it's always a worrying time, but they'll come home eventually.

Ooo, cross over with Olly, same thoughts though! :D

Many years ago we got 2 cats from the RSPCA. They told us to keep them in for 2 weeks. Unfortunately an idiot workman let them out after a few days although I'd explained the situation. They were gone for several hours but did come back - despite not knowing us or the house, so I wouldn't worry unduly, although no doubt I'd be in the garden a bit more often than normal :roll: Letting them out over the 4 day holiday period is a very good idea :D

We had to let ours out after a couple of days as they were climbing the walls, but we had moved quite a long way away from our old place. When crazy cat woman bribed Saffy into living with her a couple of streets away, we had to keep her in for two weeks before she got the message. When Nero moved into a derelict car half a mile away, we kept him in for a week. He went back. We kept him in for a month. He went back. We kept him in for ten weeks. I'll let you know, it's only been a few days. :roll:

Thank you for all the advice!

I'm going to go for it on Friday! I'll be out in the garden most of the day, and will keep calling them back at regular intervals- I know I'll be worrying all day, and for weeks to come I'm sure :wink:

I was worried about the length of time, after hearing that people recommend 6 weeks- that would definitely be too long for our two!

Aunty e- oh blimey! I suppose cats just do whatever they want to do in the end! Fingers crossed for this time :)

Thank you all once more :D

Did you try it and how did it go?

I kept mine in for a couple of weeks when I moved last year and all was well. I opened the doors before dinner one night and they were only gone for a few minutes before coming back for food. Letting them out on a rainy day also helped encourage them to not stay out for too long :D

I have moved home not too far away from my old home were my grandparents still live. My cat Rudy had been with me since four and he's now about 11. Still active lovely cat. Always went out at the old house has access trough my bedroom window, onto the conservatory an out the garden or to the back end area were there are garages that he would hang out round. I've kept him in this new place for about two months. But it's a second floor flat and he has no access down to the communul garden with no others pets have access to. Got him used to here an and then yesterday I thought I've got to let him go out. But I had tried to get him to come to door and let me take him down like that on his own with me but wouldn't have it so I had to pick him up and hold him longer then he'd liked and run down to the bottom floor an let him to the garden. Which he then ran to the back end of it an trough the fence. Didn't here back from him last night or today and have been calling from the window still to let him know I am here and gone down to the garden out toys some food. Have gone out around the local area an called but no luck and let some people know who I saw to look out in case. But he was an active going out sort of cat and maybe did roam free at times but also didn't. I'm just worried as it's a new area an the way I had to get him out and then being abit scared. Will he actually come back in th end for food but to me here if he wasn't made used to the garden properly. Or go back to my old house which of he does that's all good because they've allready left the window open for him and some food and he could easily go back there. But there is some dogs a little local to me and the new area an not being out for so long and being scared will he actually come back and after so many years living a certain way & now me having to do it like this. I just hope being with me that long and we have such a lovely bond, rare for cat to give kisses an wants them, he definitely does. But not sure of other people hes weary unless he then gets to know them. Also has always had great recall with me, old home could call him and sometimes not come back but majority of the time he was obviously close but and would come speaking so much out back to me. But I'm just so scared will he actually come back then to me here with all these different factors that could easily make he actually just leave for good. Now I've read some of your comments I'm going to go back out now tonight an call again and out the litter out as well and more food. But what about other cats that are say right next door will they use his litter an eat the food and that will that make Rudy not what to come back. I get that not being allowed out for so long after always being allowed to go out just whenever he liked might make him want to roam for a long time but he is quit a regular eater only known him to go for not more then 3 to 4 days max. So could any one just give me any advice an a little hope and ease my anxiety as I am now panicked he won't come back. Or how long do I stand in the garden calling or trying