StephenW

Surplus Eggs - recipe ideas needed please.

I usually weigh eggs anyway for baking, equal amounts of eggs (weighed in their shells), fat, flour and sugar makes the perfect sponge.

Medium eggs weigh between 53 - 63g, large eggs weigh between 63 - 73g and extra large eggs weigh more than 73g - just work out what you have, and use according to the recipes.

Sweet or Savoury - we use hundreds of eggs in cooking and there is loads of different ways to use them both sweet and savoury. Quiches and Tarts, I made a lovely Salmon and Watercress one recently, Crab and Leek was good too. Watercress and Crab are both in season at the moment.

I did a lovely Raspberry Meringue Roulade at the weekend, and a frozen thing from Rachel Allen, but its name escapes me.

Look on www.bbc.co.uk/food They have thousands of recipes that you can search using ingredients. I get loads of mine from there.

Frittata - basically big omlette with your choice of cooked potato, onion, pepper, chorizo etc in it

Tortilla - as above but just slowly fried onions and potatoes in it (can be raw if cut up small)

Cakes - look for recipes using many eggs; take to work if you don't have a sweet tooth; people always appreciate it!

Souffle - not as difficult as you might think, in fact not hard at all

You can an egg or two to enrich sauces like cheese sauce/white sauce and in 'made-up' dishes like corn beef hash

Kedgeree has eggs on it

Egg mayo - sarnies or baked spuds

Pickled eggs (although they'd be :vom: in my house)

You can make lemon curd with the spare yolks left over from the pavlovas

Hollandaise sauce - just right for the asparagus season which is just starting

Mayonnaise

Nasi goreng - indonesian dish of crispy fried onions, spicy rice with prawns/peppers whatever you have to hand, topped with omlette cut into strips (I know it sounds vile but it is nice, a good weekday supper)

You'll find plenty of recipes online :D

Sorry but love talking about food, so some more for you.

Crab Cakes or fish cakes, use eggs for binding and for dipping into with the breadcrumbs.

Muffins - really quick and easy, lovely hot out of the oven, try Hairy Bikers Lemon and Blueberry ones, but watch the recipe on the BBC site - it forgets to list the lemon curd.

Lemon Curd - 2 lemons and zest, 8oz sugar, 4 oz butter, 2 eggs, 1 egg yolk, Whisk all together, microwave for 4 minutes, whisk again, microwave for another 3 minutes, put into sterilised jars. You will never eat shop bought again.

Choclolate Eclairs. James Martin has a good recipe on the BBC site.

You can use your egg yolks up in a classic cheese sauce

Ice Cream - custard based ice creams use egg yolks too

Get Cracking :lol: Let us know what you try and whats good!

You can whisk egg yolks into mashed potatoes for topping fish pies etc for added richness.

I make waffles which are made with yoghurt and 3 eggs, I will look up the recipe later

Swiss roll uses lots of eggs

We eat a lot of egg sarnies and omelettes at this time of year, there are 5 of us in the family so egg gluts are less of an issue.

I made my son's birthday cake last week and by the time I had made the 3 egg lemon victoria sponge and lemon curd I had used 5 eggs :drool:

April is prime laying season even my 5 year old original Omlet hybrid, Mother has laid a couple this month. :D

I find my pekin egss to be mainly yolk, not much white. So I have to be careful if using them in cakes.

We have them in salads, but I find them fiddly to peel. Also mini scotch eggs are easy to make & great for lunch boxes or picnics.

Usually the pekin eggs get whisked up into scrambled egg or omlettes.

Emma.x

I am a German-American whose ancestors moved to Pennsylvania in 1734 who, somewhat ironically, has lived on work assignment back to Germany for the past decade.

We had a egg surplus issue last month into which even the Easter holiday couldn't put a dent. Then I remembered some old Pennsylvania Dutch recipes for pickled red beet eggs that my wife and I gave a whirl. http://www.ehow.com/how_4617927_make-dutch-red-beet-eggs.html and http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Pickled-Red-Beet-Eggs/ and http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/foodnation-with-bobby-flay/red-beet-eggs-recipe/index.html.

We generally hold the onions, but that last recipe with the brown sugar doesn't look too bad a variation.

The bottom line is that this is a great way to preserve eggs that might otherwise go bad in the fridge ... and we have yet to meet anyone who doesn't like them!

Not that I like them, but OH is constantly pickling my banties eggs - smaller than full size which can be too much for a pickled egg. We now have a trade in selling these pickled one down the local pub, alongside the full size eggs in egg boxes. At one point this week, when I had 60+ eggs hubby had to do an extra trip mid-week to the pub to get number down a bit.

Tracy

Sorry guys, I know this is late but thanks for all your suggestions. The reason I was asking was mum likes a boiled egg but the wee banty eggs were too small for the egg cup so we had to find another use for them raher than them sitting there.

Thanks again

STeve