sage

Who's at fault? them or me

About 8 weeks ago I took my gym watch to get a new battery at local jewelers. The watch has a calorie counter/ heart rate monitor/ fitness time ECT on it. I got it for my birthday about 5 years ago and use it all the time.

I took my DD swimming yesterday and never thought about taking my watch off as it 40m waterproof.

Within a few seconds the watch was waterlogged and is dead.

My hubby said it’s well known you should never get them wet once the battery has been changed but I have never heard of this.

Question is do I take it back to the shop and ask them to repair or replace it or just put it down as experience.

The watch was about £80 new.

Sage

It is a common problem but they should have warned you - I have a diving watch and take it to a local stall to have the battery replaced and he always reminds me that it may not be waterproof once the back has been opened. To maintain the waterproof quality and guarantee you would need to return it to the manufacturer... who would charge you a fortune to replace the battery.

If you've never had the battery replaced in a waterproof watch, then you can't be expected to know that. They really should have told you; it is standard procedure.... 50/50 really and not worth arguing the toss, but learning from the experience. :)

They should have warned you. I would go back and complain and see what they say.

You don't necessarily need to send it back to manufacturers - some have local approved 'repairers'.(I have used this method and although more expensive than the cheapest option, it was a resonable price (I thought))

H

When I had the battery replace on my silver watch they told me that it would no longer be considered waterproof. I suppose if I had have read my instructions I would have known this but I rarely read instructions :oops: I would contact them and see what they say. Of course you can't prove that they didn't tell you. I would see if you can dig out the instructions for the watch and see if it says anything there, if it doesn't you may be able to discuss this with the manufacturers.

Yes, the jeweller should have warned you that the watch could not be guaranteed waterproof after a battery change. They need to have a special piece of equipment (not sure what?? :think: ) to reseal it.

Maybe go back and tell them that you had not been warned about the waterproofing situation and at least try and get a refund for the battery replacement as that is no use to you either. How annoying ! :(

I had the battery in my watch replaced a couple of weeks ago. I was given the option to have it rewaterproofed for an additional £4.50. Only safe to a certain depth, but that won't be a major problem here. :lol:

You want to come down here then - you'd need waterproofing to 3metres with all the rain we've had! :roll::lol:

Water and most watches just don't mix.

I don't own a non waterproof watch and my Tissot went for its 5 yr service and i had to remind them it needed a new water seal and pressure test on completion as i wear it in water. You'd think for a £150. service they would know but i had to make sure it was written on the service sheet.

My diving watch is proof to 200m and requires 3 batteries and two seals i never have to remind them, they ask me if i want it doing.

So why if your watch is waterproof to 50m don't they replace the water seal and pressure test it when they replace the batteries instead of putting the old seal back in ?.....most stores or stalls are able to do it. I often think it is so we have to buy a new watch..

Hi, For me £80 is far, far too much to put it down to experience and I would never have known that replacing batteries renders an item non - waterproof.Therefore I would certainly take it up with either whoever sold me the watch or the manufacturers if there were no explicit instructions re this. Have a go, you've nothing to lose :D Alli x

Hi, For me £80 is far, far too much to put it down to experience and I would never have known that replacing batteries renders an item non - waterproof.Therefore I would certainly take it up with either whoever sold me the watch or the manufacturers if there were no explicit instructions re this. Have a go, you've nothing to lose :D Alli x

Quite agree, go and talk to them, see what they will do.