CatieB

flooring advice please

We are finally decorating our hall stairs and landing. We then need to do the floor. Currently it has cream carpet down which I'm sure looked beautiful once and I do like. However we live in a windy rural location which means far more dirt than usual comes in. We also have a dog and 4 cats.

One of the problems with the carpet is that the cats have pulled the edges up, it's a loop pile which has them run and looks hideous.

Ideas please. Will a non loop pile fair any better. I'm not sure there is any good alternative for the stairs and landing. However the hall maybe different. I love karndean tiles, wood look ones and then would carry it through into the lounge. The trouble with this idea is that I think the price will put dh off.

I personally don't like laminate.

So it needs to be hard wearing yet cost effective. Too much to ask?

Get a quote for the Karndean. It might not be as relatively expensive as you think - don't forget that with carpet, you'll also need underlay etc, and you will still have the ongoing problem of keeping them clean.

I love mine. It's very hardwearing, and there is nothing for the cat to pick at. It's very easy to clean. I can walk through in muddy boots and not have to worry. Yesterday I managed to knock over a new jar of fragranced oil - would have been a dissaster on a carpet, but not a problem on the Karndean.

And It looks lovely (if you like solid floors, which I do).

You can get carpets which are more suited to the stairs & hallway,either cord type ones or very short pile very hard wearing ones,which is what we have.

I chose a dark neutral shade (it isn't dark as such,just darker than your normal neutral) & its worn very well indeed, & hoovers beautifully.

I did look into Sisal,but was told at John Lewis that dirt or any spills can get stuck in the weave of it,as it is quite co"Ooops, word censored!",& can be hard to shift.

Apart from the upstairs bedrooms & the stairs & landing,we have hard floors too & I really love them :D

I would love old floor boards but would look odd I think as house is only 20 years old plus they'd be on top of concrete sub floor creating a height difference with the kitchen dining etc that has tiles. Real shame.

Definitely not coir or sisal given the animals and my friends stained, from sick or oil I think.

I think we should get a quote for karndean but I fear hubby will have a heart attack. So I am putting my argument together. Long term investment, cats can't ruin and unlikely to be damaged or need replacement!

Hazel which type do you have, does the quality vary depending on tile? Was wondering how good the cheaper ones are.

Ooooo we have progress. Been to look with hubby today who has declared we are NOT having carpet in the hall and lounge. :)

We have looked at Karndean but there is so much choice which actually doesnt help when you are indecisive! We want a wood one but beyond that :? Does anyone have it and if so which one?? Hubby wants to know if it is easily scratched as he is concerned about the dogs claws.

We did see one that we really like and it was at a reduced price (by a third which is significant) However they are discontinuing it, there is enough to order now but that would limit us adding other rooms in future.

Chicvic I did look at Bamboo and was really interested. It wasnt suitable for us but I cant remember why (it may have been the scratch animal / active son issue)

I think we are sorted on the carpet for the stairs and landing.... we went in two shops, were bamboozled by the choice to the point our heads hurt... yet have managed to come home with the exactly the same sample from each shop. :shock:

Try looking into reclaimed solid wood flooring too - we have oak & it is fantastic.

A friend of mine just got her entire house done with wood reclaimed from an old dance studio.

Our floor baords were new in fact & not reclaimed,so had to season in the house for several weeks before we could lay them (Husband is in the trade so knew where to get a good deal). With reclaimed stuff you don't need to do that.

`

I would love old floor boards but would look odd I think as house is only 20 years old plus they'd be on top of concrete sub floor creating a height difference with the kitchen dining etc that has tiles. Real shame.

Definitely not coir or sisal given the animals and my friends stained, from sick or oil I think.

I think we should get a quote for karndean but I fear hubby will have a heart attack. So I am putting my argument together. Long term investment, cats can't ruin and unlikely to be damaged or need replacement!

Hazel which type do you have, does the quality vary depending on tile? Was wondering how good the cheaper ones are.

We have DaVinci, the edge bevelling makes a real difference to the effect of the floor. If I was buying now, i would probably choose one of their "Art Select" range, as the finish has improved even more on those.

They have a fantastic showroom, well worth a visit. Lots of large displays of their products, big enough for you to really get a feel of what they look like. Samples are ok for colour but don't give you a picture of an entire floor iyswim.

Good luck

I'd be wary of sisal or coir if you have cats; I understand that they LOVE stripping up the rough texture :roll:

I'm another hard floor fan; original Victorian floorboards in my case.

Thanks for the snippet about cats.. We have a carpet runner up our stairs which will need replacing soon, and I had been thinking about Sisal/Coir. Stupidly I didn't consider what the cats would do with it,.