chickencam

elderly relatives in hospital and sedation

I am very sorry too :( If your daughter wants to go to the funeral I can't think your OH would object really, its probably the shock. My great grandmother died aged 95, when I was at Uni, it was natural that I would go to her funeral, having known her all my life. I realised even then how lucky I was to have known her, not many of my friends had great grandparents still alive.

She was the only one of her friends to have a great grandparent and most of them didn't have a full set of grandparents either, so she is very fortunate to have known him. It is entirely her choice as to whether or not she goes to his funeral and I will support her either way.

I have just told my parents the news, they hadn't spoken to him in over 25 years, he was my Dad's father.

I'm sorry to hear that :( .

My YS didn't go to his grandad's funeral in June as it was the week he was away doing his D of E Gold expedition. He could have cancelled it but we decided against it. I have no regrets about that but, having said that, he wasn't close to his grandad. I think it has to be your daughter's decision, not your OH's - she's the one that will have to live with the regret if she doesn't go. I still regret not going to a funeral years ago because I had 2 very young kids at the time.

Thankyou everybody :)

Thankfully OH has had a change of heart which is just as well because ED is determined to go to the funeral. She called us last night very upset and asked us if we thought she should go on an organised pub crawl with her halls, she had bought the t shirt but just didn't feel up to it, feeling that she might just bring everyone else's mood down. She had told a few of the people that she felt closer to what had happened, but didn't want a fuss made. We had a chat to her and then someone came round to see if she was going and she decided against it and spent the evening chatting to us on Skype. By the end of the evening she seemed ok again, it is hard for her being away from home. :(

Sorry for your loss too Super kitty :(