Guest Kalico68

Gutted :(

The Postie brought me a fox this morning :shock: he found her on the road, obviously killed by a car - just outside the village - it must have happened overnight as she wasn't there in the evening yesterday. He gets eggs from us and was delighted that 'he' was now dead - unfortunately, on looking 'he' was a 'she' :notalk:

The vixen that was killed looked like she'd had cubs - which is sad as they won't manage at this stage on their own :(

That would explain the apparent hunger and risk taking. Ah well, perhaps your hens will be in less danger now.

It's a dog fox that is consistently here - same fox every time - we can identify him by an odd marking down his rear LH leg. The fox the postie brought is one that i may have seen at a distance but i've never seen her near the house/chickens/animals.

A dog fox will sometimes help a vixen and cubs, but generally this is when they are tiny and the vixen doesnt leave the earth...however, a family i watched a few years ago, the male was still providing for the vixen and cubs when they were around 8w old. It seems to be that often last years vixens stay with their mothers and help with the cubs...other female relatives apparently do the same.

@ The Dogmother - i have no idea where the cubs will be - where the vixen was killed is surrounded by fields and a wood as well as bordering the village. The farmer was down checking the snares today and said that the cubs will perish - i'm guessing he is just happy that they wont survive - however, it does make me feel sorry for them..starving is a horrible way to go.

Empty traps again :notalk:

We didn't see him last night/early morning or during the morning today. However the Postie tells us 22 hens were killed at the farm on the far side of the village, the Guineafowl survived but only because they were roosting in a tree - the geese survived too as did the Cockerel. We wondered where he'd gone.

The farmer who owns the field behind us has his gamekeeper on the case as he doesn't want the cubs or this dog fox doing anymore damage. He said that one of his farmhands had seen 2 young foxes wandering along the grass verge yesterday - it now turns out this wasnt far from where the vixen was found. Maybe her cubs?

I would never have believed this of a fox if we werent experiencing it first hand - i'd have read it and thought someone was exaggerating :liar:

I've never seen anything quite like it :notalk:

I believe you. There have been several cases where fox's have got into houses and mauled babies. Yes I know that they have never killed one but still they are capable of great damage. I hope that he is caught soon so everyone in the village can have some peace and I hope you can get your chickens home soon. Its a nightmare scenario that I hope no one else has to endure.

Good Luck ..

I believe you. There have been several cases where fox's have got into houses and mauled babies. Yes I know that they have never killed one but still they are capable of great damage. I hope that he is caught soon so everyone in the village can have some peace and I hope you can get your chickens home soon. Its a nightmare scenario that I hope no one else has to endure.

Good Luck ..

Thank you :D i found out who the woman was who was feeding the foxes tonight and 'happened' :wink: past her house tonight and got chatting - I told her what had been happening at which point she called him 'naughty' and 'silly' and said that 'he didn't really mean it' and that he probably wanted to just play with the puppy :shock::wall: she then went on to tell me that she'd feed them more to make them less hungry :talk2hand: I asked if maybe she wouldn't feed them as they were causing a real nuisance and her words were 'oh no...that'd break his heart - he loves his cuddles that one'

And we wonder why we have a problem :notalk:

Her husband then piped up that he doesn't like him in their house.

Dear God.

I had to leave before I said something I shouldnt have :silenced:

Meh :eh:

I had a similar conversation with my gran last week. She said that she feeds her local fox because she feels sorry for it. I tried to explain why she shouldn't, but she just wasn't getting it.

I love my wee granny, but that really did make me cross.

Cuddles, though? That's insane.

Lx

I said some very naughty words on the way home and felt like sending her the ever-increasing bill for the new WIR extension :notalk::shameonu::wall::wall::wall:

Infact :wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall: definitely sums up how I feel tonight :doh:

She is a nice woman, if somewhat deluded about the fact that he didn't mean to kill the hens and wanted to play with the puppy :shock::notalk: she seems to genuinely love the foxes - which to a degree I can understand - however, she must know, surely, that its causing major problems. Her husband said 'oh, it won't be him that causing all the problems elsewhere surely' :roll:

They don't seem to take on board that they are in part causing the problem :think:

It's a tad frustrating and its probably just as well we go away on Tuesday for a while.

The traps are empty again this morning - in this awful weather he's probably tucked up under the woman's duvet :twisted::lol:

At least I can laugh :lol:

Thank you all for listening to my daily fox rant :oops:

The traps are empty again this morning - in this awful weather he's probably tucked up under the woman's duvet :twisted::lol:

Oh dear, what an image!! :lol: Sadly I can imagine that from what you've said! :lol:

x

Oh my goodness, that woman sounds totally bonkers! How on earth can anyone think that it's a good idea to encourage a wild animal to become semi-tame? On the plus side, can you not tip off your farmer/gamekeeper that that's where the fox is hanging out???

Just told him when i got back in today :lol: although he was like :evil: he did then say 'we'll need to get rid of it far away from hers' - i thought this a little odd but when i asked my neighbour, she said the woman who feeds the fox - her husband is an elder at the church and that's what its a bit like round here 'mustn't upset anyone at the church' :shameonu: