Guest Kalico68

Gutted :(

I lost my 2 little hybrid hens, Ginger and Babs to a fox attack at 7.30am on Tuesday morning. They have a WIR where their coop is but also they have their own garden surrounded by fencing. As my husband was in the kitchen he opened up the WIR door as it was a pleasant morning and he was nearby. The fox had obviously visited, taken Babs then came back again - my husband said 'i knew something was wrong the hens were so silent' he went out to find the fox killing Ginger - the fox took off leaving Ginger dead and my other 7 terrified - although unharmed. We later found Babs in the wheat field.

The fox then returned another 4 times over the next 4hrs - the hens were closed in the run and was unsuccessful - however on his last visit he entered the garden from the other side and made an attempt to grab the puppy - I was in the garden with her, as were my 5 adult dogs - 2 Wire Vizslas, 1 Lurcher and 2 Terriers. He then returned overnight/early hours and left a large poo on the patio at the back door. He also attempted to gain access to the WIR via the roof during the night. He failed.

Since Tuesday it has become a battle of wills - he has tried everything to get the rest of the hens. He's also tried to get the guinea pigs.

Within the village the lust of killed/taken animals is alarming and seemingly endless. Since this fox's apparent arrival 10 days ago he appears to have been on a killing spree.

We are devastated to have lost Ginger and Babs - they were the sweetest, most loving little hens. I feel so guilty and bad that despite all the care we took of them that we failed them.

We called in pest control and 2 live traps and snares have been set - it's not safe to use a rifle and the village is too close for a shotgun.

My son-in-law to be has a farm and he and my husband have taken the 7 remaining girls away to his farm this morning, they will remain up there until we get back from holiday in August and until my husband can re-think the hens outer space and make it secure.

It's so sad to see their WIR and garden empty and quiet - but at least I know they will be safe.

RIP Ginger and Babs :(

Welcome to the forum, sorry your first post is such a sad one - I'm so sorry you lost your girls :( . It must be horrible knowing that something is out there, just waiting for the chance to grab your remaining girls. It's great that you have somewhere safe to send your other girls so you can enjoy your holiday without worrying. I'm really surprised the fox tried to grab a puppy, that's awful, thank goodness it didn't manage it. The fact that you have lots of dogs also dispels the myth that having dogs deters foxes :? .

Don't feel guilty, it's happened to so many people (including me, although I was lucky) and is just one of those things that you just can't predict or prevent.

I have worked with foxes during my career, hand reared them, rehab'd them - i always was a defender of foxes believing that i knew what scared them etc - i just feel now that we have been complacent and that the fox had obviously just been waiting for an opportunity. I truly feel i let Babs and Ginger down by not protecting them enough.

Although their WIR is a reasonable size, i have hated keeping them locked up - they are miserable and so are we, they so love their garden where they have freedom to roam. My husband is looking to wire in their whole garden and roof it so they have their space back.

This fox is like no other i've ever encountered, he is bold to the point of it being alarming and he is so, so persistent. We live out in the country and the foxes here have always been very flighty and spooky. This one stood in the clearing of the crops staring at me whilst i shouted and banged pans together, he stood and cocked his leg and then sauntered towards me before sloping off about 30feet from me. He is very recognisable as he has an odd marking down his LHS rear leg. We know he is living in the rape field closeby - we just heard yesterday that apparently he attempted to snatch an adult Chihuahua in the village on Friday.

The crows are the only things that alert us to his presence during the day - they harrass and divebomb him constantly...i never really liked crows much - but i'm eternally grateful to them these last few days.

So, the new trap is set Am praying we catch him. All we (and hopefully the fox) can see is the gate into the hens WIR open and be tempted in. He caught Ginger and Babs in there the other day.

Ironically, the man who set the traps lost 7 to a fox attack at his farm last night - it went through the electric fence and squeezed through a small gap. He killed the 7 ducks with a single bite and left all the bodies.

Will let you know what happens.

Goodness me, what a persistant fox. You must be so hoping that the trap works this time.

I wonder if it is an urban fox that has somehow been released in your area. There was a rumour a while ago round here that some urban foxes had been released into the countryside and had gone on a killing spree. I don't know how true it was, but they were certainly reported to be bolder than the usual timid country foxes.

In years of living alongside foxes, i have never ever come across one like this - the fact that he entered the garden when there were 5 dogs and me to attempt to snatch the puppy was really worrying.

Its now a waiting game.

Hi Wendy, I wondered if you'd post about this over here too. *waves* Threw me seeing your new log-in though but there's only one Kalico!

Hope the pesky fox is off soon.

:dance: Hey :D

It wouldnt let me use my old userrname :( so i had to re-register :D

I sooooooooo hope we catch him soon :pray:

I wonder if it is an urban fox that has somehow been released in your area. There was a rumour a while ago round here that some urban foxes had been released into the countryside and had gone on a killing spree. I don't know how true it was, but they were certainly reported to be bolder than the usual timid country foxes.

I am wondering if that is the case, too. This sounds like typical urban fox behaviour - I live in south-east London - the foxes round here fear NOTHING.

The fox avoided all the traps and turned his attentions on my guinea pigs, attempting to dig under them last night - they are totally secure and he didnt succeed but this is now getting tiresome and weary.

Sigh.

I am so sorry to hear your news - I can't even imagine how you must feel with all stress this fox is causing :o(

Hope everything works out and you can get your chickens secure with you soon!

I am so sorry to hear your news - I can't even imagine how you must feel with all stress this fox is causing :o(

Hope everything works out and you can get your chickens secure with you soon!

Stress is the word - i cant turn my back for 2 minutes just now - trying to toilet train the puppy in this hideously bad weather is hard enough without having to be on constant high alert incase the fox returns.

Aghgrr..what to do next :think:

Sorry to hear your news. We suffered a fox attack last year - our girls had always free-ranged, but we felt it was too awful to risk, and now they have a large run to live in. They are not entirely happy, but it beats being eaten!

I hope you get something sorted out so that you can have your girls back.

Can i apologise to anyone upset by my post - apparently there have been complaints.

Apologies to those who have reported this thread, it was never my intention to cause distress.

hi ,

i am fairly new to the forum and am constantly reading about foxes and fear i am becoming increasingly paranoid about them!

your fox sounds very scary being so bold!!

we have 3 chickens in our garden :)and have only had them just over a week (Bluebelle)GNRPP

also we have 6 ducklings at the nursery where i work, we keep them in the orchard within the grounds in a WIR and when i went in to put them to bed a fox sat watching me!! i think a female, i was really spooked by how close she was :shock: the ducks are 7 wks this week and we are all so proud of them but i am fearful now we will never be fox free :(

am very sorry to read of your sad loss :(

so good to be able to share on the forum i read and read as its all new to me and have gained valuable advice so thanks to everyone :)