Guest Kalico68

Gutted :(

I can't believe people have complained. I'm not sure why. I have been following this thread to find out whether you catch the fox or not! I appreciate that killing any animal is never nice and needs careful consideration however if a fox attacked my chickens there would be no hesitation and the gun would come out. I can't believe that it tried to take the puppy. (How cute by the way!)

We are lucky and live in a small village next to a farm where the farmer has a big gun. We have been living here for 4 years and have only seen a fox twice. One was a young pup before we got chickens and the other day I saw an old one with a limp in the field next door but he was so slow that a rabbit walked right past him!. However I still let mine FR in an enclosed area even when I am at work. I noticed that my neighbours also let their chickens FR. I used to live in London and fox's were a real problem there. They used to raid the rubbish bins and kept me up many nights screeching and yelling. Until someone has had their chickens attacked I am sure that they can't imagine how horrible it is. It seems that your particular fox is a real problem in your village and I hope you catch him and I am sure that your fox man will dispatch him humanely once caught. Good Luck!

will have a go at uploading some photos as i am soo proud of them :D

luckily have teenagers too so they can help me as i'm not great at computers!

we are building our new purple cube at nursery tomorrow will definitely take some pics and post and i'd be very happy if they cheered you up a little bit (Bluebelle)(duck)GNR(white duck)PP

Still no joy :( The fox is still around but he will not enter the traps.

Can I reassure everyone that the cockerel that was in the hen run could not be reached by the fox under any circumstances - the cage was specially fitted in the run door to prevent the fox ever reaching the hen. The traps were baited with animals that were legally shot (rabbits) and ducks that were as a result of a fox attack. Everything done so far has been within the boundaries of the law. I'm disappointed that anyone concerned didn't take a second to pm me...but hey ho - that's forums I guess :eh:

I am a veterinary nursing assistant and have been for 20y, I in no way would condone nor be a part of an act of cruelty towards any animal - including this fox.

Without wishing to sound over dramatic - it's very stressful not knowing when/where this fox is going to pop up next.

Thanks to all for the kind pms and messages, they are greatly appreciated :D

will have a go at uploading some photos as i am soo proud of them :D

luckily have teenagers too so they can help me as i'm not great at computers!

we are building our new purple cube at nursery tomorrow will definitely take some pics and post and i'd be very happy if they cheered you up a little bit (Bluebelle)(duck)GNR(white duck)PP

Oooooo....looking forward to seeing them all :clap:

Still no joy :( The fox is still around but he will not enter the traps.

Can I reassure everyone that the cockerel that was in the hen run could not be reached by the fox under any circumstances - the cage was specially fitted in the run door to prevent the fox ever reaching the hen. The traps were baited with animals that were legally shot (rabbits) and ducks that were as a result of a fox attack. Everything done so far has been within the boundaries of the law. I'm disappointed that anyone concerned didn't take a second to pm me...but hey ho - that's forums I guess :eh:

I am a veterinary nursing assistant and have been for 20y, I in no way would condone nor be a part of an act of cruelty towards any animal - including this fox.

Without wishing to sound over dramatic - it's very stressful not knowing when/where this fox is going to pop up next.

Thanks to all for the kind pms and messages, they are greatly appreciated :D

I don't blame you feeling stressed and don't think you are being dramatic at all! Keep strong, you have a lot of people here who support you and hope this nightmare ends for you soon x

Hi

I think it's perfectly understandable that you would be feeling stressed by all this. I worry about my hens and we haven't had a fox attack.

I think it was obvious that the cockerel was safe. You were clearly upset about losing your hens, so it seemed obvious to me that you wouldn't put any other chicken in danger.

You have my full support.

Lx

Thank you - I really appreciate that :)

It's the constant on-guard - in a normal situation the puppy would be able to come and go around the garden as she pleased as it's dog-safe - but I'm frightened to take my eye off her for a second.

The guineas are totally safe - despite numerous attempts from him.

To further put peoples' minds at rest, the cockerel will be going home - he is much too noisy - at 4am :doh: especially.

After reading so many posts about fox attacks, I am keeping my hens in their run unless I'm with them. Today they were in the run all day as I was out. I felt so bad this evening that I spent an hour or so in the pouring rain, watching them free range. At about 9pm, my daughter opened the back door and let the dog out. The dog ran past me towards the chicken netting and I got such a fright. I had watched the video of another member's hens being attacked, so I knew how quickly a fox might strike, and I was very aware that it was nearing the time of night that a fox might approach. I honestly thought the dog was a fox. I've felt a bit nervy since then. I can only imagine how anxious you must be feeling.

Sending best wishes and positive thoughts from Glasgow :)

Lx

Awww thank you :D

The fox was back at 7am - the crows were going crazy and we knew he was in the vicinity of the second trap. On checking the trap, he hadn't gone in, but had eaten much of the food around the trap and had obviously put his head into the trap opening having a look. His footprints were everywhere.

Let's hope tonight he's braver.... :pray:

That's more positive Wendy :) perhaps he'd been watching the activity and was more wary... maybe the noise from the cockerel frightened him off :lol:

Karen and I were at a poultry sale at the weekend and saw the cockerel to scare the bejaysus out of any living thing... it was about the size of a 5 year old, black and very grumpy looking. I can imagine it kicking any fox into orbit :lol::lol:

Good luck and i hope that your policeman/trapper friend gets the fox as it has caused so many unnecessary deaths around your village now. :(

Thank you all :D

He's very active today - he's now been here 3 times this morning alone - he is currently being harrassed again by the crows but is sitting about 150yards from the patio - he hops on/off the wall - i may, just may have found his achilles heel - cake - he went wild for the stuff i threw out in/around the trap and was back looking for more - unfortunately i cant see the trap from any window and dont want to scare him away from it - but as soon as the cake is there - its gone.... :think: Hmmmmmmm....a plan methinks.... :pray::whistle:

I'm going down to the bakers and they are going to give me a bag of unsold cakes - for a couple of ££ i will try this and see if it works.

He's about 30feet from me as i type snuffling around on the other side of the dyke picking up the bits of cake :shock:

It's a shame that he's so unafraid of humans; it does annoy me when folks feed wild foxes as it encourages them to hunt in residential areas and cause this sort of problem. They are beautiful wild animals and should be left that way.

I take it that no more pets in the village have been taken?

Just wanted to add my support too, it must be so stressful for you all. I think it is obvious from your posts that you are a responsible person and wouldn't put any animals in danger. I really hope he gets caught soon, I would really worry having a wild animal that was so unafraid of humans around too.

:evil: did you bait them with cake?

Yup, cake, marshmallows, raisins, nuts in the trap and sprinkled a few around the trap - everything around the trap was taken - you can see from the footprints that he has been all around. He has clearly come along the tram line in the field to the back of our dyke - we then found footprints in the mud of the under-construction hen run where he apparently has looked at the trap there. There were also footprints on the front vestibule and he had pee'd (again!) on the log pile and unfortunately (for Jo!) on her boots which she'd left out as they were smelling of the horses. They now smell much worse..lol :notalk: He appears to have ignored the guinea pigs altogether, which is good :)

There's been no sign of him this morning at all - not even early on - so i'm guessing he was here in the small hours.

I think you're doing the right thing trying to trap him - if he's prepared to take a small dog, who's to say he wouldn't try the same on a baby :? . Hope you're successful soon, sounds like it'll just take time and a bit of luck!

Aww thanks. I'm not the most patient person :whistle::notalk: so this is like torture to me :lol:

I can only hope when we are away for the next few weeks that he just gets braver and braver and goes into the trap. The traps are still being checked every day.