Looney Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 I really enjoyed it! I think it is impossible to please everyone and some people will never be happy (I overheard a hilarious conversation in Ely market about it, I didn't think anyone could be quite so disgruntled about it all ). I went to bed halfway through the teams sauntering in so missed the end. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
chickencam Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 I think people who only watched the first 15 minutes or so missed a treat, we were a bit underwhelmed by that bit but the rest was great so British and a great representation of our diverse culture. The Chinese one was a spectacle but it was a bit of a case of one talent show after another, whereas our's was honest and true to our lives. The final lighting of the cauldron was just fantastic and so moving It did cost a lot of money, but it will raise Britain's profile and a lot of the component part were British and must have helped the economy on the way as will the tourism before, during and after the Games. It is also good for us as a united nation a bit of national pride is no bad thing, we are generally too negative and anti success in this country. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
patsylabrador Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 I agree totally with chickencam. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sadietoo Posted July 29, 2012 Share Posted July 29, 2012 IThe final lighting of the cauldron was just fantastic It did cost a lot of money, but it will raise Britain's profile and a lot of the component part were British and must have helped the economy on the way as will the tourism before, during and after the Games. It is also good for us as a united nation a bit of national pride is no bad thing, we are generally too negative and anti success in this country. It was clever, but I still found myself unmoved ...and couldn't identify with much that went on at all.....(tbh I didn't recognise much that went on outside of London in 3/4 of the ceremony.)..In the news today Akram Khan is said to have been shocked that his choreographic tribute to the 7 7 bombings in London was cut from the screening on NBC and wondered if it was too inaccessible...well frankly yes it was love....I didn't have a clue what it was about until the photos came up...and even then it took me a while to click, how people in other countries were meant to geddit I have no idea at all The fireworks were nice....a great deal of money was spent. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Pearls007 Posted July 30, 2012 Share Posted July 30, 2012 I have to say that I absolutely loved every bit of it. Pure theatre and absolutely fab. We have tickets for athletics on Friday - can't wait to have a look at the "set"! Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Seagazer Posted July 30, 2012 Share Posted July 30, 2012 Totally agree with Chickencam - very well said I loved the opening ceremony, eccentric, bonkers but wonderful. We loved the comedy bits and couldn't stop laughing when Mr Bean played. The rings of steel were simply stunning. I thought the athletes coming in would never end but it was great to see the different costumes that they wore. We didn't know a lot of the countries that came through. The cauldron was spectacular, what a fantastic idea and I loved that the old olympians passed the torches on to the younger generation. I'm not a great sporty person, I enjoy the sport that my YS does (canoe slalom, canoe polo) and cycling that my hubby used to do but I can happily sit and watch most sport during the Olympics. You have to get behind your country and especially when your country is hosting the Olympics. From what I have witnessed first hand the organisers have done a great job. Just wish we could get hold of tickets for the empty seats Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
sandyhas3chucks Posted August 2, 2012 Share Posted August 2, 2012 what was all the commentary starting in French all about? I have skimmed this thread and no one seems to have mentioned it. loved it actually, and a fence sitter myself, Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...