Shirl

Getting new pets.

I thought of you the other day... went to Cotswold Wildlife park and they had some Parma Wallabies and they were lovely... They didn't like my camera though.... looked very grumpy when I started taking pictures... you could just imagine them saying 'oh no, not another paparazzi!!'...

Here's one of them :

wallaby.jpg

Can't wait to hear when you get yours, and see pictures... good luck with the Defra thing!

I might not have much luck getting pixtures then! I'm not the best photographer even when the subject is willing. Cut pic you took though makes me feel excited again. :dance:

Patience is a virtue and today I got my new wallabies. No pics yet because they are very flighty (can a wallaby be flighty?) but hopefully in a few days when they've calmed down I might be ablt to get some. In the mean tine can anyone suggest names for a boy and a girl?

They are getting less jumpy now so don't shoot off at the sound of the door opening. I can walk around the garden as long as I don't try to go anywhere near but can feed the chickens and guinea pigs without them fretting. This morning I mananged to get a pic of one of them. There were two when I started to take it but I think I got too close. I think I need to dig out the OH proper camera rather than using my phone which was on full zoom.

8222650293_6d7497d1b5.jpg

Untitled by gardenoftrees, on Flickr

ETA after the great suggestion we've decided they are now called Wally and Bea, just don't ask me which one this is! I can only tell when they're together as Wally is larger at 11 months and Bea is only 7 months.

Parma wallabies aren't used to snow they come from rainforests. I think they mainly miss the grass.obviously we offered hay and ready grass along with veg and dried wallaby food. They didn't seen to eat the ready grass or hay though. Maybe they were eating leaves off the shrubs.

They are classed as nocturnal but they do graze during the day too. I bought a shed for them to shelter from the weather in but they only go in it to eat so was a bit of a waste of time really. They are supposes to be fairly solitary animals, only coming together to mate but ours do seem to stick together quite well.

Feeling devastated this morning the OH found Bea (the female) dead. She has been killed by a fox, the male who was bigger is missing. The fence is 6ft and I can't see any gaps a fox could have dragged a wallaby through. Could he have lifted a 5kg wallaby over the fence? I guess so although the female's head is missing so how could he take both.? I was told a fox wouldn't catch an adult but it appears he can. I now have to worry about the chickens and guinea pigs.I think I'll report the male as missing to the police anyway just in case.

Oh I'm so, so sorry to read this... :( You must be devastated...

Has there been any news on Wally yet?

I've seen many foxes this year, we don't seem to get them in our garden, maybe because of the dog, but I've seen them on the streets more than usual... I'm so sorry for your little Bea... :(:(