Shirl

Getting new pets.

I am so excited I am getting 2 new pets in a couple of weeks. I'm getting Parma Wallabies! :dance: I thought about getting the larger Bennetts but decided I did want some vegetation left in the garden. I'm hoping they will get on OK with the chickens as they'll be freeranging together although PW are nocturnal so shouldn't mix too much.

Does anyone else have any exotic pets?

Gosh that does sound exotic! You must have quite a large garden to keep them in I guess, as I should think they need a fair amount of space. My Mum and Dad have a tortoise (family heirloom!) which they have had longer than me :lol: He is totally wild - lives outside, hibernates himself, wakes up in spring when he feels like it and hates being handled, in fact he hisses at you when you get near him :lol: All in all, not a great pet really, but the whole family is very fond of him and couldn't bear to rehome him.

We have 1/2 an acre which is plenty because they aren't very big.

We have free range guinea pigs too. They have a hutch but we let them out in the morning and then in the evening they take themselves back to bed. They come running when I call them, only because I normally come bearing food gifts. Just like the chickens really. I hate to see animals in cages and would rather run the small risk of predation over a life of confinement. I'm actually more concerned about the wallabies at night with foxes.

They are really hard to get hold of. There are not many zoos that have them in the UK let alone private collections but I have found someone who has some and is willing to sell me an unrelated pair. They are hard to breed but with a lot of luck next year we could have a baby. I'm busy getting all my supplements and macropod food ready for them so they remain in optimum health.

I've a feeling a diary would read

Day 1 Wallabies hiding in the bushes

Day 2 Wallabies hiding in the bushes again

etc etc

I'm told they will come within 5 or 6 feet when someone goes out with food so we'll be eating a lot of bananas as they love banana skins. Hopefully they'll end up like the guinea pigs and chickens and be happy to "know" me long enough to get the food.

When I manage to get photos I will share them. The current owner has to get registration from DEFRA to move them which should take 2-3 weeks.

There are wallabies kept very near us. I have no idea what sort they are, they seem 'normal' size but they do include some white ones 8) I'm not sure how big their enclosure is but I do know they have very high fencing; as you would for a deerpark. Its a real treat to take an unsuspecting guest for a walk in the woods to see the ancient trees, the bluebells, the lake with its duckhouse...oh and the wallabies :lol: One of them is carrying a joey (if thats the right term) :D

I have been face to face with a wallaby twice in my life.....both times involved surprises lurking behind bushes....once whilst trying to discretely go to the loo :lol:

Please tell me that's NOT where Parma ham comes from......... :shock::wink::wink:

They're quite small I don't there'd be much meat on them. Mind you Parma ham is very thin isn't it? :think::lol:

There are wallabies kept very near us. I have no idea what sort they are, they seem 'normal' size but they do include some white ones 8) I'm not sure how big their enclosure is but I do know they have very high fencing; as you would for a deerpark. Its a real treat to take an unsuspecting guest for a walk in the woods to see the ancient trees, the bluebells, the lake with its duckhouse...oh and the wallabies :lol: One of them is carrying a joey (if thats the right term) :D

I have been face to face with a wallaby twice in my life.....both times involved surprises lurking behind bushes....once whilst trying to discretely go to the loo :lol:

They'll be Bennett's wallabies which are larger about 3 ft tall. I decided on Parma wallabies because they will leave slightly more of my garden intact because they won't be able to reach as much. Bennett's wallabies are quite easy to get hold of and much cheaper but as you say require at least a 6ft fence. We do actually have a 6ft fence but the small version will do for me.

Wow! :mrgreen:

Sounds really exciting.

I used to volunteer at a little zoo and we had a few wallabies and an albino, they used to have a couple of joeys every year so hopefully you will too :D

"Ours" used to have a shed with a pop hole so they could come in and out as they liked, was quite good 'cos they used it as a safe place if they ever needed vet attention etc.

Do they have to be microchipped or tagged?

I thought of you the other day... went to Cotswold Wildlife park and they had some Parma Wallabies and they were lovely... They didn't like my camera though.... looked very grumpy when I started taking pictures... you could just imagine them saying 'oh no, not another paparazzi!!'...

Here's one of them :

wallaby.jpg

Can't wait to hear when you get yours, and see pictures... good luck with the Defra thing!