Shirl

Getting new pets.

There have been so sightings of him. I think he is going to live happily in the fields around us for some time. I am now refelcting on what has happened. I would love to have wallabies again. I have been to visit a couple of local zoos as both have bennett's wallabies. I spoke to the zoo manager at one. Neither zoos have fox proof encloures and their fences were 6ft. The zoo manager said their wallabies could also be taken by foxes as theirs are really friendly and some will approach you and let you stroke them. He said that if I have a suitable set up they will be willing to sell me some.

I didn't really want the bigger bennett's wallabies as they strip the shrubs etc to 3ft high but they were very friendly. Also they are cheaper and easier to to source. I had after all spent a lot of money on Wally and Bea and the enclosure will cost a small fortune as the OH won't build it so will need to get someone in to do it. I have started to look into building an enclosure in the garden so I could shut them in at night in the same way we do with the chickens. The chickens have been freeranging during the day for the last 3 years we've been at this house with no problems.

I have however brought someone new into our home and his name is Pepe, he's a 9 month old skunk. He's adorable and a real character. I think he'll make a lovely pet and in the unlikely event he ever met the fox I know who would come off worse!

I'm really sorry to hear your news - I've only just caught up :(

It hardly seems feasible that a fox will catch a wallaby, even a small one, but obviously something did. What a shame.

On a brighter note, a skunk! A skunk???? OK, so now you have to tell us all about skunks 8)

I'd hadn't heard about that wallaby. It's good to hear there's hope for Wally too.

Pepe is adorable, he's litter trained and very happy to curl up on a lap and have a cuddle.

8253506348_71f4d73d0c.jpg

Here he is snuggled up with the dogs. Although he thinks it's a good game to chase them and nip their tails and feet.

8350513954_e51f309f8d.jpg

What a beautiful skunk . He really does look adorable.

I'm sorry to read the news about your wallabies though.

Maybe the smell of a skunk will put off any other animals coming to your garden.

Despite their reputation they don't really smell (smell less than the average dog) and he doesn't go outside too much as he has to be on a lead and he likes to go in the bushes amongst the leaves and eat things. I worry about what he's eating. He keeps trying to eat an old tree branch. I think it's off a plum tree but can't be sure. Gives me something else to worry about!