Old Speckled Hen

Asparagus

I don't :( But my neighbour does :D I don't know which varieties he chose (I know he has 2) but he did lovingly create a new raised bed for them, didn't take any spears the first year, weeds it, gets rid of the asparagus beetle which routinely visits, and most years (not this year because of the wet) he has armfuls and armfuls and armfuls. Which means we get some too :lol: My sense is that it is quite high maintenance but well worth it. He's had them about 6 years now and I think from memory a crown will be productive for about 20?

We have some, can't remember what varieties now, because it was planted 11 years ago. We have enjoyed it but have had no end of trouble with bindweed in it and with asparagus beetle. I would advise making sure that the ground has no perennial weeds before planting. They say not to disturb the roots, but we gave up on one half of our double row because they had been choked by the bindweed, OH has rotavated this area a few times since and we have 2 beautiful healthy crowns growing there which are much stronger than the rest that have been undisturbed. :roll:

We gave up on our asparagus. About 4 years ago we prepared a bed, including double digging and massive trenches filled with manure, planted Backlim, Ginlim and one other I can't remember the name of. The first year got a few spears that we left alone, then the ground flooded and the winter was very cold, only half produced any spears (which we left alone again), found the remaining crowns had rotted; next year virtually nothing apart from lots more rotted crowns. Have now given up on it altogether, lots of work for nothing - perhaps Scotland is too cold for asparagus :( .

It's a shame really cos if you can get it going its a lovely crop - good luck I hope yours does well :D .

I've got Grolim and another...Jersey something?...... in a raised bed. It's about 4 or 5 years old now and cropped well this year because of all the rain. Usually I don't water it enough and we don't grow as much as we could.

I do keep it weedfree and after we finish picking it I plant dwarf French beans around the edges.

This is my third 'permanent' bed - the first was at our previous house and despite covering it, the builders trampled it all and then dug most of it out. The second was a replacement and a mole destroyed it .....third time lucky.

I think it's worth a try.

I planted some crowns last year but they look pretty dead now :( I know nothing is growing at the moment but even so.

None of ours is showing yet either, it's a bit early. Seems like most of us are in for some rain tomorrow and that will help, especially if they're right about the warmer weather to follow as well.