We haven't had any snow up here but apparently it was very windy last night. I got woken up by a text from my neighbour saying the wind had got my run. I flew out of bed and was greeted by this sight (taken after the rescue mission);

8391021691_ca512ef0b9_z.jpg

To say I was in a panic is an understatement :shock: I was dreading getting into the coop as I was expecting the worst but luckily all the girls seem ok. With some help from my lovely neighbours and their builders It's now upright but the run's a total right off. I'm just hoping the insurers will pay out :pray: I'm going to have to totally rethink how I keep them now as I don't think I can risk another Omlet run. Possibly electric fencing and some sort of automatic door opener. :think:

I was planning on going to the Scottish National tomorrow to get some new girls but I'm not sure I can now :cry:

Thanks everyone.

Luckily I do have great neighbours, they will let the girls out and shut them up if I'm not around when it's dark until I get them sorted. Plus I'm only working 4 days in the next 3 weeks so I'll be around and hopefully will be able to get something new set up!

It's not looking so good with the insurers though, the claims dept. said I wasn't covered.

I've been in contact with the insurance company and they say they don't cover anything animal related! I definitely had a conversation with them previously as I wanted to make sure everything would be covered and was told all the eglus etc were, so they are going to listen back to the phone calls to see what I was actually told. Fingers crossed I was mis-sold and they'll be able to do something for me :pray:

Oh my goodness, what a shock for you! :(

I am pleased that your girls are OK. Really hope you get everything sorted asap and that the insurers find that you were mis-sold your policy and they help you - it sounds like you thought you were covered so fingers crossed you get a positive outcome.

x

Oh my goodness that pic is really shocking!!! What a fright for you and your girls!!! :( But how lovely to have helpful and supportive neighbours!!! :D:D So glad all the girls are ok!!! Is there really no hope for the run?? Could you shorten the height and add a skirt to it?? Like a cube run?? Shame as they are not cheep!!!

I often worry when it's windy about the cube and 3 metre extended run.....it's at the top of the garden!!! Maybe I should peg it down??

Hope it all works out for you with your insurance! I find trading standards are very helpful, you could give them a call.

Your set up was so idilic.....hope you can get it how you'd like it again!!! Chicken keeping hey....never a dull moment!!! :roll:

What an awful thing to happen! Glad your girls are all ok.

Last January my chicken house was flattened by a tree which was blown down (all my girls survived that as well :shock: ), however my insurance company (Aviva) did pay out for a new house - and very promptly too (unlike the wall which blew down which is only just being rebuilt now :roll: ); anyway I hadn't specifically asked for any animal related insurance.

Hope you can get some resolution with your insurance co. although with the excess and then the likely increase in the premium you may decide its not worth it. I'm not sure I would have claimed had it only been my coop.

Thanks for all your kind words :D

The girls are all perfectly fine today although when they went to bed last night all 5 of them squeezed in the nestbox together which they don't normally do. The Cube was nearly on it's roof yesterday and two of them were trapped under the roosting bars with the others sat on top of the bars (think reverse chicken sandwich!) so maybe they were thinking the didn't want to be squished again!

It may be that some of the run is salvageable, but I'm worried that as some of it is very bent even if I tried to straightened it it wouldn't be fox proof anymore.

The insurance company are coming back to me on Monday. I'm hoping they'll help in some way, it was a WIR with two extensions, a cube run and a classic run so it's a lot of money to replace everything!