charly1979

please bear with need a rant re parking

Sorry really need to get this off my chest and cant do it on facebook without causing mayhem

Why oh why oh why why why why do people visiting an elderly neighbour opposite us insist on blocking our drive or making it very difficult to get in and out ! I dont begrudge her getting visitors but surey they could respect us in the process, I make sure when I park I dont block or make it difficult for other motorists.

In the past I did ask someone to move and the lady (who is in fact very nice) had a go at me telling me I always asked her visitors to move, I explained I wanted to park on my drive and I was told couldnt I wait ??? (please not I am a blue badge holder ??)

Needless to say yet again there is a car parked opposite who is going to make it near impossible for my hubby to get in as luck would have it he wont be home till after 7 so I am hoping they will have gone by then, and unless my sister cant take my son to Beavers I dont need to go out either, however if I have an emergency I would have to get them to move etc ......

If this was a one off then I suppose I wouldnt be too bothered but its becoming a bit of a regular occurance (this is the 3rd car today) Am I being out of order and should I just pipe down .................. hmm rant over

If these cars are causing an obstruction can you speak to your local beat officer (if you have one?) and see what they suggest? Possibly the Highways Dept at the local council and see if someone will come out and meet with you and actually see how much of a problem it causes - maybe they could then authorise road markings tho this can take AGES!

Alternativley, could you speak to the old dear (or write an impassioned note if verbals may be difficult?) and ask her to ask visitors to be more considerate? Otherwise write a polite notice pointing out how this parking obstructs you drive/right of way and photocopy them to put under windscreen wipers - had a freind who did this and the message got through tho the householder was not too happy!

Good luck

Thanks

I know the lady is aware of the problem but I dont think she likes to tell them, whereas if visitors do the same I tell them to move thier car. Generally our village has a problem with parking, our street was built in the 50's when there werent so many cars, but the village is undergoing some huge developments which dont take into account the need for parking. In our vilage newsletter the biggest problem that the beat offcier mentions is parking and some cases are much worse than ours so now I have clamed down I should be thankful really

I agree with the above, maybe a couple of well placed signs requesting the drive be kept clear and one notices to go under the windscreen of offending cars? Are there places where these people to park without blocking you drive? This is the sort of thing that can escalate into bad feeling if it isn't dealt with quickly. I would start with a hat with her explaining the difficulties it is causing you and the potential problems. Failing that involve the council.

Although we did not have yellow lines out side our local council gave us the phone number of the traffic wardens. They were only to pleased to come and give the offender a parking ticket. :D On one occasion I couldn't get out of our garage for a whole day. :evil: When we went on holiday we would load the car in the garage the night before and park my husbands car in front of the drive just in case we were blocked in. :roll: Thankfully we moved and can now park with out fear of being blocked in. :D

We have a neighbour who does this :evil:

Just a thought. Could YOU park your car there? Do you have more than one car? Why don't you try parking it in that spot, but far enough over so that hubby can get his car in easily.

Worth a try?

Hope this helps, inconsiderate neighbours are rubbish aren't they!

Cathy

X

Unfortantely I cant as they park across her driveway mind you that would be intreasting to try. Im a bit more chilled about it all today I mean it could be worse and if thats all I have to moan about then life is pretty danady hey, however I will take note of everyones suggestions so if if becomes any worse I have plans. Other than this minor problem we live in a really great street where we all help each other. Whilst we had snow everyone took care of each other asking when they went to the shops if others needed stuff and my bestest neighbour looked after my girls when I got stuck at my mums (phew)

If the cars are parking opposite your drive, then a 'H' marking won't make any difference, as it only stops them parking where the white line is marked. I used to work the traffic department in Council & these markings would only be put in if there was a disabled person living at the address. Think this differs depending on the Council though. It's an offence to park across a dropped curb anyway as you are obstructing access to and for the highway. Obviously this isn't always enforced as most people park across their own driveways or their visitors do.

We get annoyed with people parking outside our house too. We're in a small cul-de-sac & the only house in the street without a driveway :roll: Also the only house with young children. We regularly have other people's visitors parking outside which means we have to go down the bottom of the road. Don't think it occurs to people to suggest to their visitors to park further down where there's plenty of space.

We have a similar problem but with commuters. They park up and then rude word off to catch tube for the day. They have no issues with reducing width of road or driveways. Problem is that it is a main route for emer vehicles and commuters. Inevitably we have to hold up traffic if we want to park in our drives. We get hooted at, shouted at and gestured at by people who think we should drive around and around until they have all gone. Male drivers in particular like to try and threaten DD while she reverses into our drive. She is quite happy to indicate what she thinks of them but she shouldn't have to.

It annoys me to see fire engines and ambulances forced to a halt because of thoughtless parking. We'd be better off with double yellows outside.

We get a fair amount of parking overspill for people walking through into town or to the college which is in the next road :roll:

I just came back from dropping R and her BF off at Roller D and was watching a large taxi/van thing trying to reverse into the space I'd left earlier. There was no way it would fit but he managed to shunt the car behind him pretty hard then drove off. I have no idea who the shunted car belongs to but I have left a note under the wiper for them.

We get commuter cars left in our road from dawn until dusk too. I wouldn't mind but the stations either side of the one we live near have huge amounts of parking available. We've also had folk park their cars in the road and then go off on holiday on the train. Why would you risk leaving your car in a strange road for a week is beyond me!