redsunset

This morehens disease again

How is she today, Redsunset?

Mycoplasma is what I meant (not Mareks which causes paralysis). I can never remember the name. :oops: I once rescued a wee Silkie from a horrid place and she had that but she did rally on antibiotics and tlc and is with me still - 4 years later. You might find it helps your little hen if you wipe the outside of her eyes with a drop of that Murine 'dry eyes' stuff you can get in Boots. It is a very mild solution and would help make her eyes moist. (Don't try to put any actually in her eyes, but just wipe the outside).

Well amazingly she is still here? Managed to get some water with Tylan into her tonight although not much, will try again in a while. Her wee head looks swollen with the infection and the smell in the room is just awful. She perches on the side of the box and cannot see as eyes swollen shut. I splashed some Lenor on the floor as it really is putrid, the poor wee thing.

I am truly amazed she is still alive. How long can they survive on just little sips of Tylan infused water and no food? Heartbreaking to watch.

And yes, it does look very much like Mycoplasma as you said but how far gone she is I'm not sure.

Well scared to say it but I think 'Wee girl' as I call her may be turning the corner? One eye is open today and a lot more alert. Got her to drink a little and put food in a wee bowl beside her. Am still cautious but seems like there may be a little more hope. Will post again later tonight.

Well she is still here. Won't eat for me but taking sips of the water. She has food and even a little cat food to tempt her, will try anything. Have her now on a bundle of straw on the floor just incase she may try to eat or drink when I am not there and that way she can reach the bowls/plates easy. Will put the heating on later even though it's been a warm day here as heat can help in regards to the disease too. Rest is up to her. If, and it's still a big if, she recovers will be terrified to intro her back to the flock who appear healthy. Can't even use my washing machine as it's down there for fear of upsetting her. Joys of chook keeping but wouldn't have it any other way!

On a lighter note, one of my little white leghorns made her way into my living room last Sunday, when spotted flew into my dresser which has a large mirror and managed to smash a blue and white vase (one of a pair) in her panic. Caught and relocated outside. Spent half an hr with a reed diffuser and some glue piecing together my grans vase!!

One baby Isa wanders in at will every time the door is open (she has a heart shape in white on her side so easy to spot) and found her in my bathroom loving the feeling of carpet under her toes wandering about. Dogs go nuts so end up chasing them out as know it's not their territory!!!

Thank you, I still have hopes for her, will not give up. I know she was beyond a cold due to the smell, it was awful to the point of having to splash Lenor in the room floor. Definitely MG as symptoms fit to a T. Mortality can be high. She is a little better, tho how much due to lack of food and just a few sips of tTlan water is another thing. Wish it was a cold.

Tomorrow is another day so here's hoping.......... :|

Well she is still hanging on but on examination is deathly thin. Could barely get sips of water into her today. Yesterday I thought she was getting a tiny bit better but today have reversed that thought. She point blank refuses any kind of food, be it by syringe, hand, whatever. I think she is a lot sicker than I thought and beyond the Tylan being able to help her now. :(

Wee girl went to sleep at 1.30pm today, had a last ditch attempt in feeding her but no. Have to say I blubbed like a baby going back to work. A good client came into work with egg boxes 10 mins later to see if I had eggs and that set me off again! Thankfully I knew her well.

I know it was the right thing to do and gave it my best shot but the Tylan did not work in her case. Watching the others like a hawk. We have lovely vets up here who have only just moved into a nice new modern practise and was shocked at the bill....£2 as had my card in my hand expecting way more. Going to have a glass of wine now to console myself........ :(

Thank you, sorry it's not better news to post on here but I guess we have to take the rough parts too as chook keepers. Can see me being like this every time. Poor wee thing drank her water for me today but her sinus's were swollen hugely and eyes swollen shut and no food for 5 days. She was still alert, so it was cruel to let her carry on in such a condition knowing the treatment was not working. The others are all fine and will bleach the utility room to remove any trace in the coming days as know this is a bad infection to have. No idea re the possible incubation period but for now all ok.

Thank you. They are for the most part spoilt little madams who just demand food or treats at every opportunity they get, in great big 'boks' at my back door. gave in tonight and they got seeded bread, and cherry tomatoes and went off to bed quite happily (well those who choose to sleep indoors that is!!)