redsunset

This morehens disease again

Thank you all, it was not a decision I made lightly but knew it was the right one. You have to think of the animal and not yourself as they don't understand and to let her suffer would have been cruel. The others are all well and seem to be doing all their usual chickeny things as per. I think I have more than enough with 27 chooks and only just thought yikes as regards the winter mucking out/prep etc, as in another's prior post!!.... :doh:

Not my week at all! Lost another lovely chook (Edith) today. Had her since Feb, and only thing I noticed yesterday was yellow as in almost yolk colour on her vent feathers and not looking happy. Caught and bathed her and even checked vent for possible broken egg but could not feel anything. Died though the night. No symptoms as last chook, as eyes bright no sneezing/mucus or anything like that so am praying it is unrelated (egg problem?) and just a very bad week. She was a lovely chocc brown hen with gold lacing around her neck and fit as a fiddle until yesterday as far as I could see as checking them daily and couldn't do more re bio- security right now.

Flock will remain closed for at least the next six months to be on the safe side.

I already have thanks! (wine I mean). All the rest are fine. Will be keeping a vigilant eye never the less over the coming days and weeks, and am never done counting them as know how many I have of each colour and if one not in the gang I immediately go on the hunt (even if she's minding her own business scratching around elsewhere), mum needs to know!

Good week so far, all appear healthy and well. Have stocked up on poultry spice and apple cider vinegar to add to feeds/water. Still have 7 sleeping alfresco, 4 in the willows, 2 under the patio table on the bars, and one amber chook in my living room windowsill every night (although I do don parka and boots) to move her down to a house if heavy rain for the night where she stays happily but back in the window the next night! :wall:

Thankfully I can drive home every lunchtime for an hour to collect eggs/top up feed, as they are going to bed earlier and earlier now as the nights draw in. Also gives me a chance to check them over whilst loud 'boks' for their lunchtime treat of seeded bread crumb/corn treat (who's training who?) :roll:

I love the idea of the chooks under the patio table (they obviously think the 'early bird gets the crumbs' :lol: )and on the living room window sill. My aunt used to have an ex bat who roosted on the living room window sill. When my aunt had guests, she (the hen, not my aunt) would turn round and squish her bum up against the glass. :lol:

Autumn is definitely here, as first night I have come home from working late and chooks were all in bed by 8.30pm!! Feel weird not having a gang running up to the gate looking for treats (or any food as that's my role in their eyes)

Looking forward to spring already and the clocks haven't even changed yet!

All are hale and hearty thank goodness so the Mycoplasma did not appear to infect any others as check daily at lunchtime. I have one little black rock that I call half chook as she was attacked by a retriever some 4 months ago and lost her tail feathers which have never grown back and now she has loads of pin feathers around her neck (moulting or feather pecker?) They are growing in and she looks fine as she was broody for 3-4 wks earlier.

Shabby chic, my Mrs Amber is far to posh to squish her bum up against the window I'll have you know!! Pooping on the windowsill though is another matter and a s"Ooops, word censored!"er and bucket removed said 'deposits' from there and from under the patio table into a nice earth patch ready for next years compost. Will plant a tree there and I fully expect it to shoot up by 3 ft a year due to the 'extra nutrition'.

Delighted to get the chook cover feeding stations today, not bad for only two days since online order. They look like the tops of wishing wells, so should be ideal once I paint/set them up to stop the lovely Hebridean rain soaking/drowning the girls mash!.... and we have had a lot of heavy rain this past week. Envy those whose girls eat pellets, but my lot are good at turning their beaks up at those.

Today was lovely and sunny and even sat outside at lunchtime. Will post pics of them once I set them up along with the new Brahma's once they are here. Feathered feet in winter months will be a challenge, never thought of that one!

Strong winds/rain tonight although not cold, so jacket and boots on and lifted Mrs Amber from windowsill down to a house along with a leghorn from the trees. Left three Isa's deep in the willows as they seemed to be quite happy and dry. Progress in my book as the two from under the patio table have now taken themselves off to a house. Getting there. Only three outside now instead of nine, but no doubt Mrs amber will be back in her usual spot tomorrow??

Assembled the two feeder protectors (look like little wishing wells) and they are doing the job of keeping the feed dry which is great when you have free rangers.

Praying now for a winter like the last two, ie, no snow!! Can cope with the rain/gales as used to it but heavy snow will be a challenge to say the least....

Found Mrs Amber had made herself a nest behind a pile of wood and hidden around 15 eggs, all in a wee bucket now so dogs on scrambles again for a week! They are not complaining......

What lovely weather. Quite unusual to say the least for my part of the world. Even cut the grass after work and chooks were right behind me ready to dig !!??

Was amazed to see feed left under their new feeding top covers , which confirmed the fact I was feeding a seagull and a raven everyday!!

Those temps of 18 are not bound to last, but made the most of them today.... :)

Just come in....totally soaked a while ago lifting 4 chooks out of trees into a house. We have had what I can only describe as tropical monsoon type rain here today and back garden is awash. One chook promptly went back out into the trees as not totally dark so said to self 'she can stay there then!'.......but will probably go back out later and move her :wall:

Have never seen the back garden so water logged and am now thinking may have to move the chook houses if it does not improve. Last winter was easy with 6, but now with 26 I guess I didn't think this through!! Much as I love my chooks I may regret increasing the flock to such large numbers?

Just having a wee rant I guess, and tomorrow is another day (can see more money being spent on major drainage next summer) They should be laying gold plated eggs at this rate!.......... :boohoo:

Wee buff Brahmas coming on Saturday and thankfully the ground is now drying out! I am worried already regards the little feathery legs and a muddy winter but hopefully they will move to drier areas. As they are very local to me, I am not worried about them bringing in any illnesses etc but just the intro stuff once again. Wheelie bin may be pressed back into action if needed as it did a grand job the last time!! Can see the head honchos throwing a few hissy fits as per...... :anxious:

Will post pics on the weekend of the newbies. :)

3 days ago ranting at the tropical monsson rains, now more chickens? Maybe I need I need a good talking to!... :whistle:

Well, Saturday will be busy and as forecast good all weekend will no doubt be outside making sure the newbies are not bullied to death, and then that they have somewhere to sleep at night (wheelie bin at the ready just in case!)

Wish me luck! :)

25c680a3-a42d-44d3-8d07-1d4e929db5f5.jpg

Here are the babies, will get better pics later. They are only 12 weeks old and hope they are all pullets as Brahmas are notoriously difficult to sex as slow to mature! Few pecks here and there, but for the most part the oldies are far to busy sunbathing today despite their curiosity! For now they are enjoying what's left of my grass!