redsunset

This morehens disease again

Is that a bischon and a little Lhasa is see there? Cutie, how are they with your girls. I have a couple of griffon bruxellois who love pottering in the garden with the girls and they oftern weather permitting) lay on the patio watching them and they are very protective....love my boys and girls....

:clap::clap: for the nice fence mending man :D

I've thought of one breed I don't think you have that you really ought to - a Scotts Dumpy. They are wonderfully adapted to adverse weather and such very pleasant girls. Plus they are rare and need protecting :whistle:

Also wondered if some 2nd hand Eglus off of something like eBay might be more weather proof than the beach huts. I remember that Boldercrof in the USA had one a couple of years back that survived a huricane :shock:

Yes, you are quite right, a Bichon and a Lhasa. They are ok with the chooks but still supervise them as the little Bichon likes nowt better than a wee chase, preferably a nice flighty leghorn! The Lhasa like to go round sniffing their butts......as dogs do!

Scots Dumpy, well funnily enough there were some listed at the auction I got my Wyandottes from in Nov but think they were listed as pairs or trios which means a cockerel is included. I need to wait and see if my wee eagles are girls/boys or a mix of both first.....May take a while as they are pretty hard to sex as slow maturing? As for Eglus, much as they look good I still prefer the cottage look for my chook houses. They are to funky/modern looking for my hundred yr old house/garden. Can see new housing being looked at next year tho.

Lying on the sofa and hearing the wind start to pick up again, seems 50mph now has me thinking that's not bad...compared to the 80mph plus we have had of late??!

Regardless of the weather tomorrow, funky willies and parka will be donned to muck out the girls abodes, needs must!

Not read the book but have seen various excerpts on Facebook and it's hilarious! No strong winds today, instead the chooks are dodging hailstones. Giving them poultry spice in the warm mash every other day just now to keep them healthy.

Had the dogs running around amongst them today and all good. Couldn't do it before as the little Bichon would find a gap in the old fence and take off up the road. Chooks will slowly get used to them and there was no chasing, just a few boks at the sight of the imposters! All good in the hood..... :)

You never know, Dumpies may well appear yet! Am more worried right now as another storm due with 80-90mph wind speeds!!! We had sleet today and poor chooks must think this is the norm now. Roll on spring!

Porridge, sweet corn and mealworms mash for Christmas if they haven't been blown across the Atlantic meantime!

Hope for minimal damage tomorrow, fingers crossed

Hope everyone survived all the storms and floods ok as have been reported down South?

Getting slowly back to normal here after the excess of Christmas! The girls enjoyed their porridge but by jings the mess they made......guess it was a good social pastime picking the stray bits of each other's combs and heads afterwards?

Yesterday they got an afternoon treat of sprouts, carrots and some mashed potatoes, huge scramble and chooks running off in all directions with their chosen treasure to scoff in private!

Got a shabby chic chicken ornament and two ppl very thoughtfully added tubs of poultry spice to their parcels.......all gratefully received and to think two years ago I would have been horrified at the thought! Anyone else got chook gifts? Even got chicken Christmas cards from a couple! Now I know I have been placed securely in the eccentric bracket by those who know me and my new little obsession well...... :lol:

I have just been reading through the post and read about the funky wellies - or not as the case may be :lol: I am still in fits of laughter now - even my other half is laughing as I read the post out to him :lol::lol:

The storms sound terrible there - do hope all is ok now. Lost a fence panel and half of the walk in run roof but hoping that is all and that these storms eventually come to a halt :pray:

As for pressies, I got a chicken soap dish, chicken key hook, a lovely yellow enamel bin and scoop for chicken feed, and a matching holder for the eggs. Most certainly in the "what are we going to do with her" category now :roll:

Well, said w.....no, rubber boots (safer) were donned today to clean two chook houses and am still green after it. First time in at least three wks I have been able to get near them due to the weather so one can imagine the poop content!! :shock:

Lovely day up to 4pm so chooks all happy. They are not impressed with me being on holiday and breakfast is usually brunch as I am NOT a morning person. Usually find at least three chooks on my bedroom windowsill glaring at me when I finally surface.

Glad I am giving everyone a laugh due to my new toy/predictive txt iPad. Means I now have to proof read every post before I submit.......or maybe I won't bother and see what it changes next... :lol: .. :whistle:

Hi redsunset

Just wanted to check out how your doing? How are the girls doing in this nasty mean whether? I live just outside London and it is hideous, just non stop. My garden is like a quagmire and I risk life and limp just getting up to the enclosure in the morning as it's on an raised area so no risk of them flooding:))

Hope all is well with you and the collection of girls x

I just had a massive go at OH as I too have fallen several times in the mud that was once my garden. I suggested that if it was he that had to carry food/water out in the adverse conditions some kind of footing would have been forthcoming!! He is very sheepish at the moment! I am vexed!!!