redsunset

This morehens disease again

I had a real dust up at the end of last year when I needed Baytril for one of my dogs. It had worked for the same condition (a nail bed infection) when we were under another vets so I wanted it again. The new vet gave me another totally ineffective antibiotic (may have been Tylan but I'm not sure) and then when I had spent rather a lot of money on that to no effect, tried to sell me a huge quantity of Baytril without any instructions on use etc. I went back to my nice Henley vet and she told me that Baytril is an early antibiotic but very effective. She explained that many vets won't stock it / prescribe it, as it has a short shelf life and is very expensive to buy (can only be bought in bulk). Also, like all the early antibiotics, an immunity can be built up against it and so it is usually one used for last ditch cases. I queried why it is, or used to be, often used for birds and small animals and she explained that usually small animals have a much shorter tolerance period of their illness and also, by the time they are taken to a vet it is often (though clearly not in your case) late, because they are good at hiding their symptoms. Baytril is, I believe, in the penicillins group of antibiotics.

We were also told we could never eat the eggs again after baytrill, it seems thats the new advice but only some vets are saying it.

Mimi5, sorry to hear about Victor, hope he finds a home soon.

We got a Brahma cockerel a few months ago to look after our hens, crowing is no problem as we are very rural and i love a cockledoo, but he is now 10months old and hasn't crowed once!!!!

Typical, i have to visit youtube for my cockledoos :eh:

Missing all the fun here as not been on fr a day or so! Now this may sound a bit unorthodox but have not administered the baytril yet. Reason being that miss Isa's eye seems to be getting better so keeping an eye on it for a day or so to see if her own immune system is doing the job. If not it will be administered. Don't like giving toxic or prolonged antibiotic unless totally necessary so am holding fire for a couple of days. Her nostrils were clear as well as chest so.......

Maybe some will disagree with that decision? Thoughts?

P.s. No cock a doodle dos here either or any wellie activity (those reading thread will get the jist of that one) :whistle:

If you are not using your baytril put it in the fridge. It has a short shelf life. I think the rather draconian thing about egg withdrawal may have come about because if too much exposure to penicillen happens the human exposed to it might not respond should it be needed for something more major e.g. a super-bug. :think: If there are any medics here they might know more.

Well after a bit of deliberation and faffing about on my part humming and hawing I AM going to administer the baytril as from tomorrow. Decided her eye was not going to go down properly without it.

The poor wee soul has been very patient and indoors now for six weeks so baytril, eye cream and after ten days it's hopefully going to see her fit to rejoin the gang. It's so not fair to her as being isolated cannot be fun despite a nice snug roomy cage.....still a cage.

Would start tonight but am to darned tired after a busy week!

Samson is a complete thug. At mealtimes he is pretty much almost standing in one of the bowls nearly giving himself indigestion with that (haven't seen food for a month carry on) stole bread from a Brahma girl and tries to fit a few pieces of seeded bread in his beak to take off with. Brahma girl took off after him and gave him a few pecks in indignation for his manners. He had the good grace to look shame faced and avoid her but won't change his tactics!.......now why did I add another bloke?....... :eh:

Oh dear Samson doesn't sound like a gentleman at all :doh: Poor girls.........maybe they'll gang up on him....safety in numbers :lol: how about your other boy? Seriously sometimes I think chickens need to read the chicken behaviour manual :roll::roll:

I have had very good results with baytril and myco :D Best wishes for a speedy recovery :pray:

Well after all I said last night the Baytril is still in the fridge! My mum was over today and couldn't get over the difference in miss Isa, in that her eye was almost back down so held off again....

Was feeding the chooks and noticed my lovely Barnevelder was not herself. Noticed last couple of days when putting out seeded bread crumbles she was not rushing to pick them up, but just making a show of looking at them....hmm. Fast fwd to today and her neck seemed to be almost weak, and her gait was slow. Nudged her gently into my utility room and bought poultry vitamins (not Mareks or wry neck as extensive research on both fast) and thought she might be deficient in something. She is with miss Isa and they are pottering about the floor. Miss Isa totally delighted to have a chicken friend. As miss Barnevelder is shy and was a lone chook intro it begged the question if she was getting enough food, were the others stopping her? Bought dishes to clip onto open cage door incase her neck was stopping her reaching to low down and on checking a while ago saw mash on her beak and she seemed Perkier. Either way, she is staying in for a bit of TLC for now. Would be gutted to lose her as she is so beautiful.

Hope I have done the right thing, but as only one cage have left the door open and they are quietly pottering.

No body warned me of the trials and tribulations of chook keeping! Love them tho... :)

Good news! As miss Isa was back to normal and miss Banevelder was fine today they are both back outside! Now I will have fingers and toes crossed that I did the right thing? I think the barnevelder was dehydrated as once she had her water with vitamins it was almost like nothing was ever wrong.

Will be keeping a beady eye on them for the next few weeks and checking all their eyes to make sure I don't see any bubbles anywhere

A very happy Isa chook after seven weeks indoors..... :)

Ah how lovely, a happy ending!! :D

I always have my beady eye on my lot......I dream of chicken cam :lol::lol: Though thinking about it I'd probably spend all my time checking on them ....lose my job...go unkempt.....oooo not a good vision :lol:

Well here's hoping I did the right thing.....time will tell and yep seven weeks was a long time. She was out that open door like a shot and will now have to regain her place in the pecking order!

Today wasn't a bad day but like lots of us on here fed up of all the rain this winter. It's been awful. Still, I see signs of spring with bulbs popping up and little buds forming here and there.

Tomorrow is another day...... :)

Delighted to post that Miss Isa's eye is almost flat and totally clear. No foamy eyes elsewhere so hope the seven weeks TLC and Tylan did the trick. Either way I am very happy :)

Poor Samson, even lowly pecking order Miss Barnevelder gave him a peck today for coming near her patch of corn! Nice to see her feel she is no longer bottom of the heap.

No cock a doodles yet and all Samson can think about is gathering as much bread in his beak as possible in a oner and taking off at high speed with it to eat at leisure!

Had to laugh on Saturday as mum was over and she decided to clean the nest boxes. Samson was pottering near her feet and I never let on about the new addition, and she never noticed the 'hen' with a big curly tail feather! Going to see how long this lasts before I can say, 'oh him?, been here for months'...lol :lol:

All going well. :) miss Isa fine, very hard to spot the 'eye' now. Everyone healthy......but not counting my chickens before they hatch so to speak! Had such an up and down year last year with losing a few chickens that I'm almost nervous to say 'all good'

Samson still a wuss, and as I met his father who was a stunning bird but timid, I am hoping he is the same. Only as I have wee dogs and don't want an aggressive boy. Miss Barevelder keeping him in his lowly place along with the others. Be interesting once he matures, as this is all new to me.

My back garden where the chook houses sat last summer is total carnage as major drainage works have started. Am determined I WILL have grass before the summer!..... :whistle:

And Chortle Chook, I don't think they are anywhere near umm, trying it on while the girls are eating......far to feart of them so far! I will close my eyes the first time I see any shenanigans! Did do the neighbourly thing for the ones which I pass eggs hung in a bag on the fence every week to explain I had boys now and to let me know if the crowing gets a bit much, when it starts!

Felt sorry for Samson at lunchtime whilst looking out the kitchen window. Saw him stretch his neck whilst semi strutting over to one of the Wyandottes who must have had eyes in the back of her head and swiftly side stepped him with a 'don't think so mate look'. She then gave him a swift peck for even thinking about it! He looked so dejected! Think the poor soul is quite hen pecked as his plumage has been shortened and missing a few neck feathers. Oh well, time enough to mature yet. The other Wyandotte has gone broody I think and a right mardy mare with it trying to remove eggs.

On the plus side neighbours have said cock a doodle doos not a prob, when ever they start? Be interesting to see if they still say that in June!

All well otherwise and I now struggle to spot the girl who had myco as her eye is flat and no bubbles. Very happy about that.... :)

Sun?.. Did you say? Harrumph. This is the outer Hebrides so we had dryish day, bit of a breeze and prob 10 degrees! Don't grudge the south the sun one jot though after the awful flooding. All dry days are sorely needed down there.......course the Bromley folk can share..... :whistle:

As for Samson, well having boys in the gang is a revelation full stop and will no doubt continue to be from a relative newbie in the chook world at least (not counting WELLIES)

Not a peep out of the two boys as yet? Thought there might have been a bit of a go at the cock a doodle doo by now but nada?

Girls all well so no dramas to report. Scared to say that after last year but... Thought a Wyandotte was going broody but she obv changed her mind? Drainage works have started so the lovely grass where the coops used to sit is a mass of drainage pipes and gravel. Topsoil next and then turf. Ordered 6ft trellis panels to make a chook free or poop free patio area for me so a work in progress. Only a 12 x 20 ft square area (rest is all theirs)

Weather has finally been nice, girls ignoring me lunchtime as far to busy with dust bathing in various corners along with s"Ooops, word censored!"ing all the earth out of last years pots looking for treasures.

Someone has been laying a very crinkly sort of shelled egg the last few weeks. Assume it's one of the older girls? No idea but getting 23 a day from 30 girls?