redsunset

This morehens disease again

Wee peepers doing just fine with their mom in my utility room. Can see the perimeter of the cage has teeny tiny wee poops which means the wee peepers were exploring while I was at work. I fully expect them to be indoors for a good few weeks but my question is, what age would be acceptable to put them outside in a small coop/run?

I know that they grow fast and within around three weeks or so, they won't squeeze through bars of the dog cage but mom and ten kids will need more space by I'm guessing five weeks. Cage is big enough for a spaniel I'd say so.....?

Will take pics tomorrow, and is there any way to put iPad pics on here or is it phone or camera only via photobucket?

Hi redsunset

What great news! I thought you were trying to reacue your flock but I guess she had other plans:)

I use my iPad to take photos and then upload them Via photo bucket, I am so excited to see your new arrivals, what are you going to do with the inevitable boys you may have? Xx

Ok, think I have the iPad/photobuckett thing sorted so will take some pics. As for the inevitable boys, well they will be quite an age before I figure that one out and then if no one wants them then the vet. It's the downside of chicken keeping but one that has to be done unfortunately.

Would be nice to have them outside in wee coop and run, but for the moment have neither! They are safe indoors for now.

Hi, dont know if everyone would agree but I see no reason to keep the chicks indoors in the summer. My pekin brouht up a group of chicks a year or two back and all we did was set up a little arc and run. totally happy. weren't inside at all. Mummy hen kept them nice and snug. Ax

Can see a run and wee coop on the cards fast, as the wee doodlebugs as I call them are doodling all over the floor (thank goodness it's still only concrete for now so will take a good scrubbing when I get them out. They are feisty wee things jumping up on mums back etc! E086716C-8909-4249-A4D7-24AFB75F1EA1.jpg

Caved in this morning and ordered a broody coop with 2m run from Flyte so fancy. Looking forward to it and getting the doodlebugs outside with their mom where they can enjoy the grass and see what lots of big chooks look like (also say Hello to dad!)

Not to mention getting my utility rm back! I am under no illusion that this could happen again so at least broody coop will be handy for any other 'surprises' despite my efforts. Not parting with my big boys. Can't wait to see what the wee chooks turn into?

They are sweet. Can see a difference in them in just a week (tiny little wing feathers if I look closely, or as close as their mum lets me). Never had wee chooks before so this is in at the deep end. Popped down to see them and could see five wee faces poke out from mums feathers, rest underneath!

Really hope for a good hen to cockerel ratio but know those things will turn out as nature intended... :pray:

Well coop and run all built, took a while and the doodlebugs and mum are now safely ensconced in it. They were murder to catch as it's amazing the speed of them already! After a potter in the grass mum has led them inside as wee rain shower came. Half massacred my hedge so I can watch them from the kitchen window and keep an eye on them... :)

Will take pics tomorrow if nice