redsunset

This morehens disease again

I'm glad miss fluffy is doing well on the cat food.

I might get some and give it to Queenie who is still a little peaky - although only really on her bum feathers.

She usually gets treats whilst being dried with the hairdryer.

Which is the best one to get Redsunset ?

Miss fluffy doing way better than I ever expected and mixed in mash with the cat food today....scoffed the lot! :)

Luvackicken the brand I gave her was Gourmet Gold (small gold tins in tesco/co-op?) she loves it!

If I didn't have the boys would probably have let her out on Monday.......but as I do and worried about their um attentions, and wound on her neck which is not visible but could be delicate if the turkey sized blouses try their luck and then hurt her?

Anyone recommend a good easy to use garden hose? I have a reel but it is so stiff and awkward. Did buy two of those on the shopping channels of the webbing kind (one burst on 2nd use, the other tonight after five uses!) I need to hose the pavements every second or third night for obvious reasons due to too many chooks! ..... :whistle:

Forgot to look on here before we went shopping and ended up buying Queenie a corn on the cob :lol:

I will get her some cat food tomorrow.

As for your hosepipe problem, we ended up getting a karcher pressure washer and it does an excellent job on the paving in the chicken run. Looks like new :D And it just connects to our normal hosepipe. We didn't actually buy it for using with the chickens but it does do a very good job.

Oh redsunset I'v only just caught up with this - so sorry and then so glad to hear about Miss Fluffy. Naughty naughty Millie. :shameonu: I take part responsibility for my posts where I just couldn't blieve that a Lasa could do such a thing. :shock: I don't know why because even those with such kissable faces are descended from wolves :anxious:

You have clearly been such a good nurse to Miss Fluffy. I'm off to get some cat food now for one of my slikies (Diva) who had to go to the vet on Saturday because she is so under-weight. The vet couldn't fathom what is wrong with her but she is on baytril now and I need something to feed her up on. She loves rice but by the sounds of it, a bit of cat food would help her as well.

Thanks luvackicken. I have a pressure washer but it's such a faff to put together so only use now and then due to plugs out the window etc. the hose with a jet attachment was fab as quick, took ten mins to blast the back door pavements (where they congregate every eve in the hopeful expectation)!!! Have ordered a spiral hose so hopefully that will work in a hurry.

Chortle chook, I know.....who would think a wee Lhasa would find chook killing fun. I wonder if she was jealous of them? I was always a tad wary of her interest as she was very intent on neck sniffing etc so....

Miss fluffy doing fine and looking a bit not amused sans cage confinement now. If she stretches out her neck feeding you can glimpse the wound so can't risk the others spotting that quite yet. Not amused will have to suffice for a wee tad longer! Her food is mainly mash now but still stir the wee tin of 'posh cat food' in for extra protein.

Garden split has worked a treat. Dogs now have the lawn to run around on but have to bypass the cage to get out that door. I stand guard!

Hope queenie (luvackicken) and diva (chortle silkie) are doing well and everyone else's chooks on here.... :)

Well after a busy couple of weeks with family visits, being on holiday I went back to work this week. Came home at lunchtime and my little black chook (cross of some kind with black eyes, almost black comb and had turquoise earlobes initially) met me outside my gates......suddenly I realised there were little legs below her feathers! 10 baby chooks she had hidden from me! 5 yellow and five blackish/grey! Nearly died thinking what do I do now.....?

Fast fwd and large dog cage out again, found nest in the roadside verge and all babies and mum are indoors in my utility rm where I can keep an eye on them. Dash fr chicken crumb as well. Still shocked as she was my littlest chicken and I thought no was would the big huge Brahma boy um.........well?..think I see couple of tiny feathered legs so oh yes he did!

Have to say they are tiny and so cute! :)

Isn't that sweet. :D However the feathery feet could be because your mummy chook has some silkie in her (blue ears make me think that) so perhaps she was not squashed by your Brahma boy. I'm longing to see how they turn out. I think mixes are really the most interesting. I've got two undefined chickens - a cockerel that was sold to me as a Silkie girl, and then was thought to be a Silkie x Pekin girl, but has completely smooth feet and crows . . . ; and a black girly with sort of frizzled feathers who was supposed to be a Frizzle, then a Frizzle x Poland but has not got enough head gear to be a Poland. They are both real favourites of mine.

Just been down to check on them with food and fresh water. All peepers doing fine so far. Will take pics soon as I get a chance in daylight. Put water in a saucer and of course they were walking straight into it. I know bigger bowls can cause wee chooks to drown but seeing how feisty this tiny lot are as they jump around I don't think they would but being cautious. Took in an egg from her outside nest yesterday and she diligently pushes and sits on it so will leave that for a few days just incase. Have a budgie cage waterer hanging on bars but not sure if they have noticed that yet. This is all new and very unexpected for me as took eggs of prior broodies right away, but this tiny madam snuck under the chicken wire on my gates and had other ideas!

Re the silkie thing, that will be interesting. I noticed the seller I got her from also sold minorcas so wondered if that was in the mix? To be continued!.......... :)

I am now forward planning in my head wondering what I do when they get to five wks as know wee peepers grow rapidly! Thinking some kind of wee hutch outside with extended run in corner of garden......hmmm. They will outgrow the dog cage big as it is in no time!

I'm not even gonna think about the ££££££'s chook keeping has cost me in just over two yrs! .....

More dosh in next couple of days as I am sure I've spotted scaley leg mite in two speckledys and miss amber! All I need now is red mite which so far I've avoided. More googling fr best remedys!

Tell me about it. I had to find a new coop and run quick smart. At first mum abandoned her chicks, so I had to buy a heat lamp. I spent a fortune trying to get rid of red mite in my wooden coop, before I gave up. I had to buy some special chick feeders too, as they were just scratching their food everywhere.

Good luck with those scaly legs :?

Oh the joys. Wouldn't give it up though :D

Oh feck (as Mrs Brown would say!) please don't tell me there is a chance that mom could lose interest as right now she has been a sterling mom. If she can do her job for five to six weeks I feel we may be in with a chance?

After that I can cobble some kind of plan together to grow them on.......and thankfully weather will be mild enough when they do go outside in a number of weeks.

To think a few wks ago I had decided I would downsize eventually as nature intends to around maybe 12-15 and now I have 39 chooks plus two turkey sized boys........ :wall:

Aw, ok. Hopefully mine will be ok? Sorry you had all that to go through. Have seen a lot of people literally burning wooden coops due to red mite this year. Is it due to the weather conditions and hot spells we've had as even up here was very hot last week? Saw a lot of posts re red mite on Facebook poultry pages about it and it's one thing I dread as know ppl have lost chickens to it and nearly lost the plot trying to eradicate!