redsunset

This morehens disease again

A WIR would be nice in this weather plus a big walk in shed for ease of changing bedding/floor etc.......but with 42 chooks (can't believe I have 42!!!) tis a dream! I'd settle happily now for big walk in shed adapted but for now....parka and wellies! iPad happy for me to type wellies now thankfully and not change the spelling anymore :lol:

I know......I read of those with 4-6 chooks and think, that was me two years ago! Happy with that......and then the dreaded morehens disease took hold!

This summer had resolutely made up my mind that 32 was far to many as fed up with the hosing down of pavements/gravel etc and decided as they passed naturally would downsize to about 12. Lost quite a few chooks in the last two years between one thing and another and the 32 I have now are in rude health. Of course the hidden ten baby chooks soon took me up to 42 so here I am.. :? ... :whistle:

I am on strict instructions not to add any more until we move. Well we may not have any chooks left by then! Which I think is OH's cunning plan. So a couple of years that went to 5 years, to 8 years (not worth moving then - probably also his cunning plan) back to 3 years and now back on to 5 years. At the moment I feel like going ARGHHHHH! Good job I got our 2 newbies in January before he changed plans again!

Guess I'm lucky then as I'm single and no OH to lay down the law re too many chooks! :lol: I'll let you lot decide?!

But.....if someone had a crystal ball and told me five years ago I'd have 42 chooks and couldn't contemplate parting with any, I'd have laughed myself silly at the thought!

If my circumstances change as they can do, re elderly parent then I'd have to review possibly. But for now... :whistle:

Another storm forecast, ferry cancelled etc and can only just make out in the dark some little bodies up in a tree? If they get blown off the branches at least their wee broody coop is just below.

I know! I don't understand it myself, but if mum goes up a tree then babes will follow! They were sheltering in a hen house earlier, about 6pm other side of my house but bedtime?......back up the drive and up the tree. Hopefully as weather gets colder a little bit of brain will kick in and they go to one of the proper houses? Nothing I can do ad to high up so have to leave them to their own devices. I know it's what they would do in the wild, and have read of chickens with snow on their backs in the USA. Don't like to think they will be that brave or silly?

How many weeks to spring? Had enough rain today to nearly warrant the building of an Ark! Chooks not happy and the veritable mud! Not fun going for eggs as expecting to slide at lunchtime (and then have to change before going back to work!) but so far still upright. Found a dead starling in a nestbox today?? Did a chook carry it in/cat? Or did the poor wee thing fly in itself and chook killed it, or passed away in the box? Will never know but gave me a start at lunchtime thinking a hen had lost an entire wing at first glance. Only six eggs today. Least I've ever had but lots moulting. Amazing how quick the new feathers regrow though. Doodlebugs still squeaking for bread every day plus corn and getting big. No doubt up the tree again tonight but pitch black when I got home. Next three days are dry and sunny of a sort. Dream of a big walk in shed for them all!

Pondering.......poultry auction coming up, know some one who's going, seen the catalogue on line.........

Looking at sheds, also know I will need to replace my old car next year........decisions, decisions! Mid life crisis at age 47! Hmmmm

I have to many chooks, right??.....

Getting worried about winter now and amount of chooks I have! Seriously pricing large sheds as lovely as my coops are they are not terrifically sturdy in very high winds plus a pain to muck out. Last winter half a roof was ripped of one and a nest box lid off another. Fixed immediately but....

Aiming to hopefully have one before Christmas as the chooks may want somewhere nice and dry to hang out if the weather gets bad. Not to cold yet, and not had serious snow in the two and a half years I've been chook keeping so have been lucky up to now. Will keep my other coops tho for future um additions..... :whistle:

Poultry auction this weekend.... :D

I'm not going to the auction myself....just as well, as would come home with at least twenty chooks easy! No, a friend is going....asked if she could get some Speckled Sussex. If not, some little brown chooks as love my little brown hybrids. They have shavers, which is a kind of hybrid so will see what I get? I don't mind....... :whistle: or might get nowt?

All will be revealed....soon.