redsunset

This morehens disease again

Poor wee things are getting their first taste of awful weather! Seems after the lovely day yesterday it's now our turn for the heavy rains and strong winds. Put their food into the wee house so at least they can stay dry and snug.

Only a handful of big girls have ventured out for breakfast today. I can be sure the two cockerels will still be inside as they are total wimps in bad weather! :lol:

Dunno yet what the other chooks make of them? The two boys like to patrol the coop independently as big brahma is the 'boss'. My next question is at what age are they allowed out? Would it be 12 wks or 16?

Am thinking if they are half Brahmas they may grow quite large (though my initial four were slow to mature/brahmas) and even the cockerel amongst them was not obvious until about five months! That's a long time but they are a slow maturing breed and bearing in mind mum also has an almost black rose comb too so have not a comb for indication as to boys/girls for quite some time.

Will the big boys pick on the little boys early on or not bother until a bit more mature? This is new to me, having babies this young so need all the help I can get?

Had enough rain today to nearly warrant an ark being built but a little better now. Want summer back!

Mine are to totty yet to allow out plus their mum was always (still is) highly suspicious of me so would lead them away to some undergrowth! The big girls might attack them, or even their dad?

Far to feart to let them loose for some weeks as I have to many predators (cat) seagulls, crows overhead etc.... :shock:

Wee doodlebugs are all thriving and growing in wee totty feathers full out. Still a fair bit of fluff around but amazing how quick they feather in just three short weeks? Amazing the colour combos as thought with the same dad they'd all be alike but some are getting the wee copper wings, one has a lot of white with black on wings, and get to see what the smokey grey ones will be like? Of course in my mind they are all girls but some are a fraction bigger than the others so....?

Weather has been totally pants this week with lots of rain and mum still takes them outside. Keep moving the coop once a wk to fresh grass, even if just a foot or so as even the littlies can fair poop?!

Will take pics again soon :)

Re the pics....I will, soon as the Bleddy rain stops! I am just amazed they are all well and thriving as expected problems (that I read about from (splayed legs,pasty butt etc?) but their mum seems to be doing a sterling job in keeping them healthy and in check... :)

That is true, which is why it's nice to post the positive as well, inc the pics! Nature as nature intends.... :) chooks gave me plenty grief last yr, so nice to see nature develop as it should (even if it was a sneaky unplanned pregnancy) as I would say! Lol! :lol: caught out by errant chook!!!

Er, Mullethunter are you telling me they are boys? Leggy? Am getting far to attached for my liking to the doodlebugs! They now know my voice twice a day when I come with the crumb feed and are nearly biting my hand despite mum staying well back. Would love to let them out of the run but as I have a young tabby cat, I cannot trust she wouldn't stalk them so in the run they must stay. Am partial to the white one with black flecks which seems to be the biggest by a couple of centimetres so that may be a boy? Sucks that I can't sex them for months yet, due to no combs!!.........but they are all cute :)

Well I took a chance yesterday and opened the door of the run. Within five mins the doodlebugs and mum were busy exploring the world outside. Didn't stray to far and the older chooks didn't bother them. Most of them took themselves off back to bed but a few had stayed outside under an old Kilmarnock willow so bit of a performance getting them back in! They are outside again (Peesh the cat is indoors) so nice to see them scratching and jumping under the trees and bushes. They are pretty much fully feathered now. Four of them look like the big Brahma, one White one with grey flecks looks like mum had a dalliance with a seagull, and the other five are either smoky grey or grey with creamy bits? Quite a bunch of Heinz 57' 's!! :lol: